Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Proper use of the White Ensign

I note that the Army has increased its recruitment by 9% according to the New labour propaganda department (that paragon of politically non-biased output - the BBC).
Perhaps the Admiral ought to talk to his counterpart in brown as to how they did it without flogging off Army logos?
Mind, I have seen lots of youngsters wearing combats of all shades which appear to be sold in Primark and New Look (or so my daughter tells me!!)
:roll:

Maybe it's just me, but I never seem to be able to sink myself into the doom and gloom that everyone else on the site manages to magic up.

First of all, if you're all so upset about misuse of the white ensign then go and get it back off all the prats who think it is a football flag and hang it all over the stands with their team's name emblazoned across the middle.

Secondly, at least if the RN does this itself, it can stop the ensign and other emblems being misused by exerting its legal rights to the insignia and control how and what it ends up on. I see people walking round all the time wearing things with the word 'navy' on them. Why not stick a logo on it and turn them into a walking recruitment poster? We need all the help we can get don't we?

The crabs lost their legal right to trademark the roundel as it had been allowed to be used freely by the public for so long without a RAF association.

This is the world we live in and I have no problem with people wanting to wear stuff with RN/RM insignia as long as it is clear that they have bought it and not earned it. How many millions of tourists every year wander around london in their newly purchased 'University of Oxford' polo shirts. Don't tell me they've all actually studied there! :) Doesn't seem to have done Oxford's rep as a uni any harm. If something is prestigious, which I think the RN is, then people should want to emulate it. Like I said though, fine as long as it is clear they've not earned the right...

whitemouse said:
I note that the Army has increased its recruitment by 9% according to the New labour propaganda department (that paragon of politically non-biased output - the BBC).

I have emailed the BBC to give them a bollocking for referring to the Royal Corps of Signals as the "Royal Signals" :twisted: :roll: :lol:

Backpacker1uk said:
Guns said:
Great idea. The US Navy and Marines do it and use it to spread the word. The Navy is hardly known as it is so anything that gets the image of the White Ensign out and about can only help in recruiting and raising our public image. Remember we have to make sure the genral public knows who we are, what we do and why they should support the funding of the Navy.

Check out the US Navy site to see how it works. www.navygear.com[/quote

This has to be a wind up. WHERE YA BIN BOY!!! Most on here where in uniform when you where in liquid form.

Even the man in the moon knows about the best navy in the world.

THE ROYAL NAVY Not the US NAVY but the Royal Navy. Hurry up I think Thomas The Tank Engine is on again.

With 16 years service I doubt I am the sprog you think I am. The problem seems to be the "more mature" ex-serviceman that have the greatest problem with this White Ensign thing.

The Royal Navy is not known by the public in the way you seem to think. We spent a lot of time and money last year trying to rectify it. The White Ensign project is part of a wider effort to raise the profile of the RN and RM with the public. The Navy has to do this so that the general public know what we do, why we do it and more importantly are happy to pay for it.

Guns said:
With 16 years service I doubt I am the sprog you think I am. The problem seems to be the "more mature" ex-serviceman that have the greatest problem with this White Ensign thing.

The Royal Navy is not known by the public in the way you seem to think. We spent a lot of time and money last year trying to rectify it. The White Ensign project is part of a wider effort to raise the profile of the RN and RM with the public. The Navy has to do this so that the general public know what we do, why we do it and more importantly are happy to pay for it.

Oh I think most of us are quite aware that the man in the street has often a very poor perception of reality, the concern is that the RN may not have a good idea about marketing and particularly in the present climate sell out to the highest bidder, and as a result the badging will not do what it is intended to do.

A good marketing campaign based on the ensign could well achieve the laudable objectives and there a several good examples of orgaisations raising their profile and cash by doing this, but there are equally examples of abject failures and once proud names seen as just part of the high street dross.

Peter

I’m appalled. This may alienate the Navy’s serving members and veterans in equal measure (see last umpteen posts). However, the upside is when chavs adopt the Commando Dagger as the ‘new Burberry’, Royal and Commando qualified others may be offended. Stand by chavs. Seriously, naval logos/insignia may be adopted by undesirable elements to its detriment. Look at Burberry. Then what?

There is nothing to stop anyone wearing Service, Corps, Regimental or Unit logo but at present only a few not entitled walts do. How many of us loath the sight of civvies wearing warry kit? Try wearing a USN SEAL logo in the US if you are not a SEAL and wait for the retired SEALs to come calling and expose you on the Internet. What next, pay for a ship’s refit and get a commission? Finance a carrier’s refit = Vice Admiral, Trident boat = Rear Admiral, Destroyer/Frigate= Captain, an RFA = Commander, Minesweeper = Sub Lieutenant. Works for honours, allegedly.

The awful ‘Making Waves’ didn’t do well as a tool for raising the profile of the RN. Encouraging the wearing of No 8s (sorry No 4s) to work is feeble. Raise the profile of the Mob, televise the keel hauling of those who thought up the latest ‘marketing ploy’, developed it, approved it and are now telling us what a good idea it is.

The White Ensign on Navy Rum is okay, me hearties.

The RN has become an embarassment. Where have common sense and tradition gone in the last 20 years?

I'm off before they tell me that wrens will go to sea next!

Yes, my second comment was tongue in cheek, and I truly hope that was spotted and no offence taken. I have no problem with wrens serving at sea, but I do have an issue with the use of the white ensign as a brand.

Perhaps us "more mature" ex servicemen have a greater grasp of tradition than a youngster not far off picking up his LS&GC.

As for the public needing to be happy "paying" for the RN, what rubbish! This confirms that the point has been well and truly missed. The problem is not with the public fronting up with the funds, but the labour government. All labour governments in recent decades have been hell bent of destroying the RN (and the military in general). It would pay far greater dividends were the government to be lobbied (or better still ousted!) rather than have the white ensign bastardised as a logo in an attempt to raise funds.

Jeez - what next? Adopt a matelot schemes? Sponsor your favourite war wagon? Send ship's companies out of bob a job weeks?

And another thing.

Were any 'stakeholders' consulted on whether or not selling our trademarks/corporate insignia was a good idea? I doubt it. An inclusive consultation process involving all stakeholders would have resulted in different outcomes and this idea would be filed in the circular file and the proposer handed a P45. 'You're fired'.

Well that's how a swept up civvy business would do things and we're supposed to be slavishly following their protocols. So why this?

gizawetofyagoffaskin said:
The RN has become an embarassment. Where have common sense and tradition gone in the last 20 years?

I'm off before they tell me that wrens will go to sea next!

Yes, my second comment was tongue in cheek, and I truly hope that was spotted and no offence taken. I have no problem with wrens serving at sea, but I do have an issue with the use of the white ensign as a brand.

Perhaps us "more mature" ex servicemen have a greater grasp of tradition than a youngster not far off picking up his LS&GC.

As for the public needing to be happy "paying" for the RN, what rubbish! This confirms that the point has been well and truly missed. The problem is not with the public fronting up with the funds, but the labour government. All labour governments in recent decades have been hell bent of destroying the RN (and the military in general). It would pay far greater dividends were the government to be lobbied (or better still ousted!) rather than have the white ensign bastardised as a logo in an attempt to raise funds.

Jeez - what next? Adopt a matelot schemes? Sponsor your favourite war wagon? Send ship's companies out of bob a job weeks?

You are right about the government hell bent on destroying the military. Perhaps it is a devious plan by them to shrink the armed forces so small that they can then take us into a European Army/Navy through the back door.

higthepig said:
Off track slightly, ive just become a war hero,from 3 to5 medals,what happened to No4?

What are you complaining about Higs? Five medals for the price of four! What are they all for? 500 letters home to mum? :lol:

Congratulations!

Steve.

Bad Bad idea, throwing/selling one of our National symbols to the money men & so called workers in the `city` to make fat profit & bonuses from.
Also I don’t know how many noticed in the full article in the telegraph from Captain nobody (Capt Brian Warren), the Navy's publicity director. These few points.

1. He added that it would not allow its logos to appear on alcohol, tobacco, knives or violent software games. Bottles of rum?

2."If one or two old Navy veterans have their noses put out of joint, then so be it," he said. I think he is in for a big shock as it is more than one or two & just old salts!!!

3."I am the taste police for this and answerable directly to the First Sea Lord for protecting the Navy's reputation," Capt Warren said. Sounds like `spew labor` spin speak to me, or is what the PR/advertising brigade told him to say.

Latest Threads