Proper use of the White Ensign

From the Telegraph

"The Royal Navy is selling its trademark White Ensign logo to appear on products ranging from clothes to computer games in what it says is an attempt market its "quality brand" to potential young recruits."

Does the copany feel this is a good or a bad thing?

Peter
 

imom1406

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
From the Telegraph

"The Royal Navy is selling its trademark White Ensign logo to appear on products ranging from clothes to computer games in what it says is an attempt market its "quality brand" to potential young recruits."

Does the copany feel this is a good or a bad thing?

Peter

I think (as a marketing man), it is an apalling idea, the white ensign is not a brand, it devalues instantly when slapped across consumer products. I do not see what it would bring to a product anyway.

This smacks of creative consultants (non-elected) in government trying to justify huge fees.
 

imom1406

War Hero
I'd go further....it's TREASON....hang the b*stard that thought up the ridiculous idea....i bet he has a pony tail too!!
 
Personally I think it's a mad idea. It seems to me that all it will do is cheapen the logo and good name of the Royal Navy. These are things that should be cherished and looked after, not sold off to the highest bidder. I don't want the RN to become another market prostitute: we have enough of that in the public services already!

There used to be a charge of bringing the service into disrepute. Can the proposer of this silly and misguided idea be charged with it?
 

imom1406

War Hero
Always_a_Civvy said:
WarMonger said:
I think I would say DISGRACEFUL!!!....if I could get it in a bigger font I would....!!!
You can!

WarMonger said:
I think I would say DISGRACEFUL!!!....if I could get it in a bigger font I would....!!!
Big enough, WM?

Steve.

The Naafi will become a Starbucks
Slops will become Top Shop
The Galley will become a Macdonalds franchise
The Wardroom will become a "Fun Kids" bouncy play area.
Senior Rates mess will become a Private retirement facility

God it gets worse!
 
Said much the same in the Mail on Line letters, and in the Naval History thread (I didn't know this one was going on).

What won't this self-serving government stoop to, to cheapen everything they touch ?
:x
 
Always_a_Civvy said:
Hi Peter,

This discussion is already taking place in another dedicated thread HERE.

Steve.
I saw that later, pity the title hadn't been as clear as mine, mind you hasn't stopped people commenting.

Peter
 

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
It should not happen. How DARE they cheapen and demean the symbol of the Royal Navy. A symbol that for centuries has given assistance and hope to countries and people wherever it appears around the world. I am extremly proud to have served under the Ensign since 1969 and this idea to sell it off just to make a few bucks is totally out of order - even if it does not really surprise me. After all, if you have no ships to fly it on you might as well sell it off.
 

WarMonger

War Hero
imom1406 said:
The Naafi will become a Starbucks
Slops will become Top Shop
The Galley will become a Macdonalds franchise
The Wardroom will become a "Fun Kids" bouncy play area.
Senior Rates mess will become a Private retirement facility

God it gets worse!
You've obviously seen the long term plans for Raleigh!!
 
imom1406 said:
Maxi_77 said:
From the Telegraph

"The Royal Navy is selling its trademark White Ensign logo to appear on products ranging from clothes to computer games in what it says is an attempt market its "quality brand" to potential young recruits."

Does the copany feel this is a good or a bad thing?

Peter

I think (as a marketing man), it is an apalling idea, the white ensign is not a brand, it devalues instantly when slapped across consumer products. I do not see what it would bring to a product anyway.

This smacks of creative consultants (non-elected) in government trying to justify huge fees.
I suspect you are right, although the RNLI has done well with marketing it's own logo gear. I some how suspect though that the 'brand' will go to the highest bidder who will probably use it top promote tat as quality.

Peter
 

imom1406

War Hero
WarMonger said:
imom1406 said:
The Naafi will become a Starbucks
Slops will become Top Shop
The Galley will become a Macdonalds franchise
The Wardroom will become a "Fun Kids" bouncy play area.
Senior Rates mess will become a Private retirement facility

God it gets worse!
You've obviously seen the long term plans for Raleigh!!
I really wouldn't put anything pass the b*st*rds, i was on Cleo when she was the first priivatised refit.....what a cluster that was!!....talk about writing on the wall!
 
Perhaps we should make ALL the Admirals wear jackets with large garish labels on the back saying:

[align=center]INSURE YOUR CAR
WITH
ADMIRAL


SPONSORED
BY THOMAS
CRAPPER


CALL MISS WHIPLASH
ON 02435353535353...
[/align]


Etc, etc.......
 
I am amazed that the white ensign is used anywhere other than on a ship in commission. Having said that I noticed a couple of yachts in Portsmouth the other day flying the ensign. I don't know the RNSA rules for this, but it strikes me as odd that anybody is allowed to fly a Service ensign on a private yacht.
 

imom1406

War Hero
asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
I am amazed that the white ensign is used anywhere other than on a ship in commission. Having said that I noticed a couple of yachts in Portsmouth the other day flying the ensign. I don't know the RNSA rules for this, but it strikes me as odd that anybody is allowed to fly a Service ensign on a private yacht.
there are some historical reason that some yachts can fly the white ensign, but for the life of me , i can't remember......something to do with a royal warrant for particular yacht clubs i think!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joint_Force_Harrier Proper Rum Barrels Hobbies & The Great Indoors 20
scouse Proper racing comming to Chester!!!!! Sports and Adventure Training 1
soleil Herald: "Cameron: Devonport To Stay 'Proper' Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Grdn: "Brown rejects claim UK troops lacked proper kit" Current Affairs 5
stan_the_man Proper Cornish - cnuts Diamond Lil's 5
Chicogiz Speaking proper England, innit. Diamond Lil's 53
L Oh yes, caught me out good and proper Diamond Lil's 16
sgtpepperband When we had proper Prime Minister... Current Affairs 4
J A few questions, cant find a proper answer anywhere! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
dhoby_bucket A Proper & Fitting Welcome Current Affairs 5
S Proper Hello! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
O "Proper" names for F-35. Suggestions please. The Fleet Air Arm 109
N Proper Caps Vs. Berets Diamond Lil's 22
MoD_RSS Syria: Minister for Middle East meets Chairman of White Helmets MoD News 0
slim Sikh couple barred from adopting white child due to ‘cultural heritage’ Current Affairs 18
MoD_RSS Northumberland launches strategy to protect white-clawed crayfish MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Project to protect native White-clawed crayfish in Derbyshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from Jeremy Wright to Sharon White MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Nottinghamshire project to protect native white-clawed crayfish MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the launch of the Online Harms White Paper MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Home Secretary launches Online Harms White Paper MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
Stirlin Swimming with Great White Shark. Diamond Lil's 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary meets leader of the Syrian White Helmets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Pioneering solutions to defence and security challenges to be explored at White City MoD News 0
O When is the white mess dress jacket worn? The Quarterdeck 16
BillyNoMates Big white ships. International 6
rn458scc The White Laundry marker question - I think I have the answer..well maybe Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
SONAR-BENDER 'Saved' White House turkey defects to ISIS Miscellaneous 0
soleil Mail: 'History In Black And White: WWI Vessels To Be Repainted In 'Dazzle Camouflage' History 1
F Independence white paper defence years 1 to 5 Current Affairs 0
soleil Scotsman: "Royal Oak’s New White Ensign For Remembrance Day" History 1
BillyNoMates Black & White. Diamond Lil's 34
Guns Black and White photos to colour History 0
MaiBelle Why oh why did I buy a white car? Motoring 43
soleil DE&S+ Or A GOCO? White Paper Issued The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Cooperation – UK Welcomes France’s Defence White Paper MoD News 0
Rumrat And god gave me a white brick The Gash Barge 4
doublehelix White Flight from the Capital City Current Affairs 89
Handler White Smoke Current Affairs 5
soleil Navy News: White Ensign Flies Over ‘Remarkable’ Ambush As She Joins The Fleet Submariners 5
soleil Telegraph: "New Aircraft Carriers 'White Elephants With Dinky Toys On Top'" The Fleet 14
Bunter The White Ensign on the Caspian Sea History 0
D Specialist pay/retention pay question for the white mafia! UPO 21
A Wanted - White Collar Nuclear Engineers Submariners 0
1 Cleaning Pusser's White Plastic Cap Cover The Quarterdeck 26
babystew raise the white flag Diamond Lil's 11
soleil Weymouth People: "Navy Touch Up White Horse" The Fleet Air Arm 4
jesse Black and white 1950s film clasics Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 7
finknottle Cameron set to unfurl the white flag again. Current Affairs 52
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top