Promotion

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by trev88, Mar 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How quickly Can you progress through the ranks, I'm joining as a ET (WE)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Difficult to advise with any degree of accuracy as much of it is to do with the individual, their performance appraisals and their individual drive and determination. Promotion won't just occur by dint of time done, but about four years to each rate is fairly rapid in most branches.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Due to the branch changing, with hard work and a little luck, you could now become a Petty officer within 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ninja_Stoker

Even with the smoke and mirrors of branch development, I'd imagine few would get to Petty Officer within 5 years of joining.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I thought that was the new idea?

6. It's plausible. Plus someone will have to have done it to prove the new system works. On my PO's course we have a lad who has done under 6 years before getting on course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ninja_Stoker

It was certainly achieved by artificers because there was a defined route to advancement and each promotion was automatic as soon as an exam was passed. Merit in relation to performance was not a discriminating factor for artificer promotion.

The "New idea" would make it achievable for some but not all. The point is that if an AFCO informs an enquirer they "could be a Petty Officer in five years" the enquirer actually hears "you will be a Petty Officer in five years". The latter is not correct.

The reality is the majority won't. We're basically re-inventing the tiff, but by a different "one size fits all" name.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeh my Afco said because I have a-levels
    That could mean I get fast tracked or something didn't know why that would be mind as there's no qualifications needed to do the job,But heard off a friend it would take around 4 years

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

9. Ninja_Stoker

Academic qualifications don't affect the rate of promotion but interestingly the higher scorers in the recruiting test for those joining technical branches were allocated an entry date ahead of the lower scorers. The logic is that the service wants "high achievers" for accelerated promotion or "fast track".

10. At last! Common sense outbreak.