Promotion to Lt

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Samson, Apr 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've got two questions that I can't answer despite trawling the RN website:

1) If you join BRNC as a S/Lt, i.e. after a 3 year degree, when would you expect to be promoted to Lt?

2) Do you stop wearing the Officer Cadet flashes once you pass your Fleet Board?

Thanks a lot
  2. You may get some flack for the question, but your answers are:

a) You would expect to be promoted after you've reached enough seniority, ie. 3 years, although seniority is antedated depending on your qualifications. A graduate would usually start with 3 years seniority, backdated to a year prior to the start of training, so it would take you two years to be promoted to Lt.

The official list is:

Masters/Equivalent: 3.5 years (S/Lt)
    Graduate/Equivalent: 3 years (S/Lt)
    Foundation Degree/Equivalent: 2 years (S/Lt)
    HNC/Equivalent: 1 year (Mid)
    GCSEs/GNVQ/A2s: Nil (Mid)

b) I have no idea and am not all that fussed.
  3. Thanks, that makes sense. I know that newbie questions cop a lot of flak, but preparing for the AIB is making me a bit paranoid about the gaps in my knowlege.

4. whats wrong with the old sh*t deflectors!! haha!
  5. Ah, you're prepping for AIB, my bad! Many useful answers to be found buried in this thread.
  6. Does that include the essay questions? Are they now typed instead of hand-written?
  7. Yes
  8. Thanks :)
  9. Did you get to use the 'Crayons large, Bootneck for the use of' on your Board Stix?
    How did you cope with cursive script? :D
  10. You put the OC flashes on during your second term (for IFT)* and then lose them after you pass out of the College.

*Some COs would rather you don't wear the flashes on their ship until you've passed your fleet board though whilst on IFT...