Promotion times (deck officer)

Hi all! I wanted to see if anyone is aware of what the average promotion times are for ambitious and proactive officers? I am looking to join, but since I have to wait until
I get my British citizenship, I will probably be well over the prime joining age. I want to create a career for myself in the RFA if i’m successful in my application, but I’m afraid I’ll never be able to achieve my ambition of becoming a captain one day.

I have received such great and helpful advice on this forum, and I am very grateful for all of you helping me out!

Seadog

War Hero
Promotion for deck and engineer officers requires Class 2 and Class 1 Certificates of Competency. Captains need Class 1.

Seadog

War Hero
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency. The Nautical Colleges have a profile too.

Sea time with the junior ticket is a prerequisite before being examined for the senior one. Although not a cast in stone requirement, attendance on the Intermediate and Advanced Command and Staff Courses doesn’t hurt.

The RFA’s youngest serving Captain is 39 ( if I recall correctly ).

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency. The Nautical Colleges have a profile too.

Sea time with the junior ticket is a prerequisite before being examined for the senior one. Although not a cast in stone requirement, attendance on the Intermediate and Advanced Command and Staff Courses don’t hurt.

The RFA’s youngest serving Captain is 39 ( if I recall correctly ).
Well, I believe I am a bit too late with all of this to have a successful career in RFA. I’ll be 29 years old when I join if everything goes accordingly...

Random

Lantern Swinger
I’ll be 29 years old when I join if everything goes accordingly...
So you will be called youngster, kid, or dialect equivalent. If you dont have the ability to climb the tree to Captain's rank in 39 years of graft and patience, I suspect your promotion prospects will be equal elsewhere.

Making statements like you did above is likely to bring out the acerbic side of Seadog and I.

If your ambition is to be called captain, join as an Army officer it should only take a few years; roles and being able to handle the responsibility take time to learn. If you have ability you could achieve the rank of Captain well before you retire; however, as Seadog alludes to, each step on the way there is very worthwhile, rewarding and each promotion is an achievement which will be respected.

Swedish Viking, there is noretirement age so join at 30 work until you are 70 gives you 40 years to make Captain. Some of our current Captains did it in under 15 years, so you can in theory be a Captain when 45 if really good.

Depends on your experience and qualifications once you are throught he door and how you apply them. some chase promotion and some just enjoy doing their current role.

You need to complete the navy courses such as naviagtion courses as well ac completing the certificates of competency. This is all given in the career framework we have to adhere to. Additionally it is then down to your reports and not just time served for promotion.

The oldest cadet I trained for deck officer was 54 when they started so you have plenty of time.

How many Captains (LS) do you think there are?
There's no publicly available data on that question that I could find, so since you asked here's my estimation based on what information I could find and thus infer:

Considering that the expected competency of an LSO is to "lead and manage a global supply chain" and that arguably the primary mission of the RFA is to provide logistics support to the Royal Navy I think it's conceivable that there are approximately as many LS Captain as deck Captains. My confidence in this estimation is not that high, however.

Also considering that a ship doesn't normally leave port without a deck Captain, and there are currently 9 of 12 ships operational in the RFA, and that deck Captains work the same duty / off-duty schedule of four and three months, that suggests at least 18 deck Captains in the RFA. RFA Tideforce will soon be operational, so that's 20 as the absolute bare minimum. My confidence in this estimation is greater, but not by much.

Considering all the shooting in the dark I'm doing with these estimations my overall confidence of approximately 20 LS Captains in the RFA is very low, i.e. <10%.

So to guess the answer to my initial question my surmise is that an RFA LSO will not reach Captain in 15 years, if ever.

And so my faint hopes of retiring on a privately owned island in the Med are diminished further.

Nominally there is only 1 Capt LS as head of the branch, this is not a seagoing position.
There are several Chife Officer LS, however there is only a requirement on 4 out of 13 RFA ships to have a Chief officers onboard.

Equally we employ a lot fewer 3/O LS than the deck department, so there are less senior roles, but less people trying to fill those roles.

The LS Capt position is for the deck equivalent to Commodore deck, of which there is only one and tends to be filled by a person as their last job in the RFA.