Promotion prospects and general information about RN Pilots.

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by BVGS01, Oct 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello I have, since I was younger, wanted to become a Pilot in the Royal Navy, when researching further the position of 'Officer Aircrew: Pilot' I couldn't find much information about a) what they do when not flying, planning or de-briefing, D.O duties etc. or what the promotion pipeline from Midshipman through Lieutenant (Possibly L/Comdr?) is like in comparison to other fields (ie. does it differ?). So..

What would a day in the life of an RN pilot be like (eg. can they be Officer of the watch)?

Do Aircrew mix well with the rest of the Ships company?

Could you elaborate on what the Divisional Officer role entails?

And are Promotion prospects for Aircrew different in any way to other Officers?

I've searched on here but really would like to know in detail what day to day life would be like if I do make it, other threads here have been a bit vague. Sorry for the countless questions and thanks to anyone who replies!

(P.S I'm not asking about promotions for the wrong reasons, I'm just curious, although I do love the idea of being a Naval Officer)

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Loving 'the idea' isn't what the AIB are looking for.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. There was a long thread recently about pilots becoming admirals. I posted in it so you might be able to search my posts.

The other questions are far too long and open for me at this time of night, sorry.

4. SeaDog That's not really what I meant, I just worded it wrong. That being said it's hardly fair to go around disheartening people like that, it's a massive put down when you go looking for some information about life as an officer and someone tells you you're 'not what the AIB is looking for'. That wasn't warranted.

5. Thanks a lot SEP86 I'll take a look.

6. Well isnt that nice and helpful. That should encourage our young aspirant no end...

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Read what was written, that is not what was said.

Obtain a firm hold on reality. ie: Get a grip.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The AIB are not looking for candidates who turn

into

Your turn BGVS.

9. Aspiring, keen young recruits are not looking for d**kheads on the internet who turn:

Into a willy waving contest.

10. Ninja_Stoker

It is interesting to note no-one from the Woo-world has attempted to address the OP's questions on the Fleet Air Arm sub forum.

11. Perhaps they are all already at the hotel bar...

12. Hi Ninja,

To be honest, I think we have covered all the salient points in various threads. I know I've written about the Divisional Officer role and what happens when pilots aren't slipping the surly bonds of Earth. The promotion system and prospects have been discussed ad nauseam. A discussion on whether aircrew 'mix well' with the rest of the ship's company is so pointless I'm having difficulty giving it enough attention to disregard it.

In summary, the answers are already out there so it's just a case of BVGS searching more carefully.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ninja_Stoker

:)My points precisely, Pontius.

I was beginning to wonder whether anyone else agreed with my innermost thinking on the subject, or whether Bon Mot was going to help us out and indulge the enquirer.

But, then I unraveled the cryptic clue when spelling the username in reverse.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I had a look through some of your posts Pontius, thanks a lot I found them very useful.

15. Did he not go round the houses, deny Everything and blame the groundcrew

A pilot providing help, he's changed!!!

He will be kicked out of the guild of Naval
    aviators next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  16. Providing help reminds me of my oppo's offer to ATC one day:

ATC: "Blah, blah, blah, a crash off the airfield; a Lynx of XXX sqn has made an emergency landing in a field (wherever it was)"

Jungly Sea King: "We're SAR equipped, so can offer assistance if required"

My SHAR mate: "I'm Sidewinder equipped and can help put them out of their misery if you like" :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Looks like i have been rumbled...

Sadly im not a wafu. I suppose i could have offered my own views but to be fair, the chap should have used the search function... I mean, have you seen how much info there is out there? :)