Project Poseidon

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by photface, Dec 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the deal with this? Does anyone have any specific details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are that many good ideas kicking around, I can't remember fully but if it's the one I think it is, happy to stand corrected, it's the one where RNR Recruits, instead of taking a year to crack RNR basic training, culminating in a two week course at Raleigh, they can undertake the regular service, ten week Initial Naval Training course & crack it in that time.

The reality of it is if you can spare ten weeks, then maybe you should join the regular service anyway. Funny old thing, as already demonstrated, is those that do the 10 week course are more inclined to undertake a seamless transfer into the regular service as a "Part-Trained" entrant and glide seamnlessly into phase two training in their chosen branch, thus increasing RNR wastage statistics.

I could be wrong on what "project posiedon" is but if that's the same as I'm referring to, it certainly seems to be well named. The upshot of Project Hermes resulted in URNU students (List 7) joining the RNR (List 5) and effectively being double-counted and inflating RNR recruiting figures, but increasing wastage statistics when they leave Uni.

There's another project whereby regular service applicants who pass AIB but do not make selection can join the RNR as a trainee officer whilst waiting for a re-take to improve their score. On paper, RNR recruiting figures again improve, which pleases someone, but yep "wastage" increases.

Some call it Smoke & Mirrors. Obviously I wouldn't, as it could be a disciplinary offence to be truthful after 31st December :)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. :) so essentially, what I am planning on doing. The nursing branch is apparently having a mega shortage and they want me passed ASAP and on TS. I am fortunate to have ten weeks free this summer so it works well :)

4. Ninja_Stoker

The Regular service recruits less than a dozen student nurses a year but the RNR needs qualified Nurses, ODPs, etc., yep. We also recruit Regular service qualified Nurses as Ratings and Officers.

Regular service qualified Nurses earn about 10% more than their NHS counterparts and gain quicker promotion by comparison. Although they can occasionally go to sea or be deployed overseas (Regular or Reserve), the bulk of Regular service Naval Nurses tend to be relatively static/stable with regard their geographic employment.

What would I do if I was single, without dependents & a qualified Nurse? Join the Regular service because the career prospects are considerably better than working in the NHS as a Reservist.
  5. Do you think it'd be better for me? I just don't really want to move away from Norwich straight away. I've been having an internal conflict regarding this.

6. Ninja_Stoker

It depends what is tying you to Norwich. Everyone is different, but if you are in a position to join full-time, it's not like you would be unable to return home regularly if that is what you want.

Minimum service would be about 4.5 years for a trained nurse & the wealth of transferable clinical & leadeship experience you could gain during that time would make you eminently employable in the UK or overseas. Or even deepest, darkest Norwich.
  7. I am in a position to join full time- I'll apply for jobs and see what happens. :s.
    Many thanks

• Like Like x 1
  8. To get back to the OP, Proj P, was a unit looking at at the issues surrounding the 1 year to 18 months that it takes a Recruit to get through Phase 1 training. They then blocked booked the final 2 weeks confirmatory course at HMS RALEIGH, and worked backed from there, realising that to get Recruits ready for the Course in record time, they would need a "cramming" full-time course in their unit of about 4 weeks. They then went out and specifically recruited people who wanted to to do a 6-8 week course, of which the first 4-6 weeks were based in the unit. By all accounts, a resounding success. As a direct result, other units have been tasked with seeing if they can replicate in some form or another - not necessarily a full 6-8 week course, but perhaps a series of targeted weekends?

hope that answers the original question.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. So, @SimpleReservist, are you saying they are no longer offering the full ten weeks?

10. Ninja_Stoker

I'm guessing @SimpleReservist is more up to speed on the subject than me. I thought it was the full ten weeks at Raleigh. Clearly not.

It would be interesting to hear how many undertook the condensed basic training course and how many elected to join the regular service seamlessly upon completion.

Interestingly, there is a recurrent query from those wanting to join the RMR after completing the full 32 week recruit training package at CTC rather than the 18 month RMR recruit training package.
  11. The extra two weeks is factored in as the time it will take you to drive from Norwich to Torpoint by Combine Harvester...:)

In all seriousness, the RNR is a good option for a Nurse. If you pull your finger out you can get through basic in about a year, and get your confirmation course done. You are then sent as quickly as possible on LRLC and rated up to LNN. Most branches would be very impressed with a promotion curve like that. The opportunity is then there to seamless transfer across to the RN if that is your desire.

Your previous posts mention that you had a TU discharge a while back. Maybe the RNR would be a good taster to see if you can deal with service life again (with the caveat that the RNR is remarkably far from the regular service, were you ever in the Girl Guides ;)???).
  12. Thanks for the very comprehensive answer :) I was hoping to get the training out of the way quickly as my nearest unit is 2.5 hrs drive away!! So I think I will hopefully ask to get on this project so I can crack on quickly.
    I agree with the idea of getting a flavour for the Navy again though.

13. I would suggest that if that is going to be the case, you get it in writing from the RN and RNR Branch Managers, RNR recruiting team, RN recruiting team, Head of Reserve Nursing and the Head of the QARNNS. Before you do anything else.

Add together RNR career management, and medical career management, and what you actually get is an utter cluster-f*ck of the highest order.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Not quite sure what you mean atg?

15. I didn't say you'd have a career - I just said you'd make it to Killick quickly :D
  16. Good to see FTG is full of Christmas cheer!
    But to return to the point, the 10 week Full Time Option of Raleigh remains open to Reservists, thought the advantage of Posiden was that it as run over the summer holidays when Raleigh was shut for regular courses, but sixth formers and students had plenty of time on their hands.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Nothing to do with various FTRS Staff officers trying to justify their continued employment then?
  18. What?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. The RN and RNR are long on "promises" and short on actually coming through with them. If it sounds too good to be true, or even, just a good deal, make sure it is written down and signed by someone with the authority to make it come true.
  20. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

To back up ATGs point, a mate in a different Service recently got a 'too good to be true' offer regarding his future career if he was prepared to play the game. The moment he asked for it in writing, the offer was rescinded.

If you are being promised something good, get it in writing firs.
    • Like Like x 1