Project Faraday

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BOB BOBSON, Mar 24, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wondering if somebody could tell me more about this project and how it is going to change the engineering branches?

BOB

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

And an 8 page thread here on its provenance here. Found by typing Faraday into the search box.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

4. Okay thanks for pointing me in the right direction. How will these changes effect me joining as a ETWE next year?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. How can that be answered when the changes haven't happened, any thing said will be conjecture at best.

6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

move in that direction and start reading.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think it's safe to say that there is so much going on in the engineering world at the moment that nobody can really speculate with any confidence about how it will all work out. In an ideal world, Project Faraday will generate sufficient numbers of suitably trained engineering personnel to keep the fleet at sea (we used to be called Artificers). I would like to think that the engineering ratings of the future will have the same standard of training and mentoring that we received but only time will tell....

8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

With the diminished size of the fleet and lack of SFM to consolidate their training, I really don't see how that's possible. PM inbound.

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

chief of boat, check your profile. For some reason you are unable to receive private messages.

10. Sorry shipmate - I'm obviously doing something wrong but not too sure how I "edit my options"! We didn't use computers when I did my Tiffs course!

11. Totally agree that the clock will never be turned fully back and WSMI has been the biggest nail in the coffin for on-job training of engineering SRs. It is a woeful story for anybody who remembers the halcyon days of FMG / CFM.

However, the shambolic mis-management of the branch over the past 10 years or so is now being acknowledged. The intention appears to be (unofficially of course) to return to the artificer model as far as possible. All ridiculous suggestions of combining ME & WE have been shelved and we are returning to ML and EL streams in the ME world. There is going to be some journey mans time factored in post-ADQUALs and I have heard talk of the possible re-invention of small, mobile repair units being established. All remains to be seen of course, but I think the intent is there.

So to answer the initial question at the top of the thread, for people joining up now, life as an engineer will hopefully improve in time (at least from a training perspective). The biggest problem that the navy faces is keeping itself going for the next 5 years in my opinion because it's not just engineers that are in short supply.

And QE will be crewing up before long..................!

12. CotB

Look up to the top right of the page and click on the word 'Settings'.

Now look at the bottom left of the page and click on 'General Settings'.

Now look down the page to the enable Private Messaging section and change it to 'on'.

13. Soleil

Always knew you are a star.................................. (sorry)!!