Procedures during the ceremonies of Colours and Sunset

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by SailingInstructor, Mar 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am in the Canadian navy and rather interested in ceremonial evolutions. I'd like to know what the RN does at colours and sunset (to see how much we differ from you).

In particular, I'm wondering if colours is often done at the same time as divisions (as it is sometimes in Canada) and, if so, what changes in the whole evolution.

If there is a RN publication online that says these things, that would be helpful, too.

PS. I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I suppose colours and sunset are current affairs in that they happen every day....
  2. I have a RM Bugler doing Sunset as my Text message alert , love it ,
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As this is a general request for information I'm going to jump this to the Fleet.
  4. Thanks for the replies. As for the second part of my question, is colours ever conducted during divisions. If so, are they brought to attention and faced aft at the same time as the guard would be in the Wikipedia entry?
  5. I like the sound of that did you record it or download it?
  6. Only place I've been when Divisions have taken place at same time as colours was BRNC (Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth). Procedure then was for Officer's i/c each division to salute in time with officer conducting colours. We didn't all face the mainmast though.

Think on a ship (if it ever happened) Divisions would probably be faced aft (as all personnel are supposed to face aft during colours).

Any GI's out there to give the BR reference ???
  7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Not a GI, but Colours / Sunset is conducted iaw QRRN with the procedure detailed more fully in FLOOS (or it was when I did my CY course).
  8. In the Canadian navy, colours are combined with ceremonial divisions as follows (excerpted from HMC ship's manual of ceremonial):

Not having been posted to a ship yet, I've no idea why it should matter whether the CO gives permission (para "i") or not to proceed with colours, given that the ship is supposed to follow SOPA's timings.

In posting this thread, I wanted to find out if the RN had a less strange way of carrying this out. Not combining the ceremonies seems extremely sensible.
  9. silverfox

The ceremony of Colours and Sunset are only performed at the appropriate moment in the day. There is no equivalent to the one described.

The only time a ship's company would be fallen in as you have described, would be when a ship is accepted from the builders. The ship would have done its initial sea trials and passage from the shipyard to its naval base under the Red Ensign. On arrival in her base port the ship's company are mustered on the flight deck and in a simple ceremony the Red Ensign is lowered and the White Ensign hoisted.

Any help?
  10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

why does Jack insist on doing "sunset" when the weather is still good enough for sun bathing....surely he should wait till the sun sets.....?

I know its about changing over from day routine to night routine but thats just a timing issue.
  11. silverfox

he does wait, until the time of natural sunset goes beyond 2100, when it is done at that time to avoid dragging on into the silly hours.
  12. wet_blobby

SF, when I was on Fearless it always seemed to happen at 1800, I take it this was the captains shout then?
  13. Its to show that the officer of the day has the ultimate power.

Ensign sentry "Sunset Sir"
    Officer of the day "Make it so"

Only then has the sun permission to set.
    It has always been thus.
  14. wet_blobby

occiffers eh slim, king knut springs to mind :lol:
  15. silverfox

no idea why that should be.... when alongside the timings are taken from the Senior Officer Present Afloat (which would quite likely be Fearless) but then she would take it from Semaphore Tower..

Can't help in this case
  16. wet_blobby

Ok mate, no worries, I guess I'm still sore after all these years at having had to keep hiding whilst sunbathing at 1800. :oops:
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Funny that- I frequently had to do Officer of the Day duties onboard as a senior rate. I always said "Make it snow". It never did- just shows you need to have commission, s'pose.
  18. And if you are billy-no-mates you get to stand at the pointy end doing the Union Jack all on your own. I was that stoker! :oops:
  19. I always wanted to 'blow soot' at Colours but never had the guts.