Problems with my application and are references important.

I submitted my application about a week ago and I received an email from the overseas office requesting me to hand in photocopies of my passports, educational certificate, etc. Two things really bother me about this, first problem is I have to get a letter from the police "to confirm I have no outstanding convictions" dunno even know where to begin with that besides going to a police station, second problem is the references. The Navy wants people from my community to write out a reference for me and the example they gave me was Police officers and teachers. I don't know any police officers or public servants and I don't even live in the same state as any of my previous teachers. I know I will get looked down upon the community for asking but does the Navy even check those references even if I am an overseas (British national) applicant? I had to contemplate on what to do for the last 48 hours. Could the Navy tell that a friend of mine wrote the reference ? I know people are just going to tell me to be honest but due to the circumstances but I'm going to be held back from joining the Royal Navy simply due to the lack of references ? Hope you can understand my desperation.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
First problem : you don't know where to begin with a police reference yet you also suggest going to a police station. The Services like initiative ;)

Second problem : you must know somebody. Personally I hate getting references but if you are that keen on a career you need to provide what is asked for. Most of us are not 100% loved by 100% of the people we've encountered, but people in positions to provide references will, hopefully, normally take a mature approach if you contact them and explain what it's for.

Thanks for the advice but as mentioned I'm not living in the UK and I'm not living in a western country, where I'm from you can't just rock up to a police station and ask for something like a police check.

And again as for my second problem I don't know anyone in the public sector, obviously I have teachers but I haven't seen them in 9 years and it's not exactly easy to make contact with them. I do have people that care for me but they are mostly friends I dunno if they can count as a reference. Guess I'll just have to book a flight and start looking for my previous teachers. Anyway thanks for the reply

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I submitted my application about a week ago and I received an email from the overseas office requesting me to hand in photocopies of my passports, educational certificate, etc. Two things really bother me about this, first problem is I have to get a letter from the police "to confirm I have no outstanding convictions" dunno even know where to begin with that besides going to a police station, second problem is the references. The Navy wants people from my community to write out a reference for me and the example they gave me was Police officers and teachers. I don't know any police officers or public servants and I don't even live in the same state as any of my previous teachers. I know I will get looked down upon the community for asking but does the Navy even check those references even if I am an overseas (British national) applicant? I had to contemplate on what to do for the last 48 hours. Could the Navy tell that a friend of mine wrote the reference ? I know people are just going to tell me to be honest but due to the circumstances but I'm going to be held back from joining the Royal Navy simply due to the lack of references ? Hope you can understand my desperation.
You don't have to do any of those things if you are a resident overseas.

All you need do, to meet the eligibility criteria, is live in UK for five years immediately prior to applying and as long as you've not spent a period of over 183 consecutive days overseas in those five years, you're OK.

The rules above apply to Commonwealth citizens resident overseas also...but they aren't entitled to a residency waiver, unlike a British passport holder who has this available avenue - if they are prepared to get off their arse and do something about it.

If you hold a Brit passport but have been resident overseas for a period in excess of 183 days, during the last five years, a residency waiver is required to gain security clearance.

All you need do is provide your AFCO with a list of dates & postal addresses during the last five years of overseas residency, a police-check printout from the local cops showing that you have a clean record whilst resident in that country and usually an employer or educational reference confirming your dates of residence, what you were doing and an overall character reference vouching for your good character.

If that's all too difficult, you ain't going to like it in the Navy, frankly.