Problems with civvi street recognising RN quals.

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by Jagz, May 13, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

I am an ex POMEA working offshore on drilling rigs in the north sea, I am currently having problems where the company has now stated that for me to progress I need to have a recognisable apprenticeship or NVQ 3. I completed MEAQC and have the HND, I served for 7 - 8 years and yet this is not enough so if anyone has contact details for Pillar Block or any advice then this would be very much appreciated, otherwise I will find myself stalled as an oiler (basically I run round with a grease gun all day).

2. I had something similar when going for my Mates ticket, I would have to look through my certificates and cant be arsed at the moment but suffice to say that I contacted HMS Nelson, who confirmed that I had done the equivalent course that the MCA were looking for confirmation for, and it was accepted by the MCA, every now and again I will get an employer question it but if it is good enough for the MCA it is good enough for anyone else.

3. As you have stated, you have military gained qualifications which are not always readily recognized or accepted in civvy street.
    Where I work, we have a lot of ex military who find themselves in the same situation as yourself. An ex sparky in the RN could find himself only qualified enough to be an electricians mate.

Sorry that on the whole this is a gloomy reply - hopefully someone on the forum will offer you some good advice that will help lift your spirit.
    SP.

Edited to add: I wouldn't have thought you would have too much of a problem given that you have attained a HND.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. A few years back before AET's came in the pusser gave all AEM's (LH and Above) the chance to get the NVQ3. All you had to do was provide some evidence and answer a load of questions. Not a lot of people bothered and they pulled the plug on it soon after. I managed to get it sorted, and got mine.

All I got from Killicks course was a C & G Level 2, not worth the paper it was written on and I think pusser eventually realised this, that why they did the NVQ thing. Did get myself a HNC as well.

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

OP. Get yourself registered -through a professional institution- with the Engineering Council. Your education, qualifications and experience should match the requirement for EngTech.

6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Are you a motorman trying for mechanic/sparky/ET/subsea Jagz?

What drilling contractor are you working for?

7. I am currently an oiler which is basically someone who runs round with a grease gun. My next step is motorman either electrical or mechanical, then after that mechanic or electrician. I currently work for prospector offshore drilling which is a subsidiary or paragon offshore. as for position I am trying for, I have preference of going sparky/et but am willing to go mechanic all dependant on what I can get recognised. mca tickets might be a route to explore. @Seadog would that be like the imarest group some of us signed upto at HMS Sultan?
    @sweetpea thanks! It's not gloomy at all just reassuring that others have gone through what I have and have worked something out.

Thanks all for the replies, these have reassured me and have added other trains of thought.

8. Seadog

If you did, you shouldn't be as 'stranded' as you appear to be. 'imarest group' indeed.

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm not familiar with an Oiler Jagz. Apart from holding a grease gun what are your other duties onboard? Are you on a jack-up, semi or drill ship? How long have you been offshore?

I really don't have an answer for you regarding qualifications crossing over to civvy street. In reality most of the qualifications gained during your time are as much use as tits on a nun, contrary to what the smiling recruiter with a quota to fill says.

During my couple of years offshore I have met many ex forces. It certainly doesn't hold you back. Ex Bootneck - Senior Toolpusher, ET's - Crabs/WE's, Chief Electricians - ME/RE, Chief Mechanics - RN/RE, Radio Ops - RFA/RN, Rig H&S - RN, Deck Crew/Rousties/Dinner ladies/Stewards - All Three. You get the picture.

It's a touchy subject, but out of curiosity have you met any ex RN officers offshore?

A 12 hour shift might seem like a long time, but in reality I don't have enough hours in the shift most hitches. Some advice -
    Stay out of the coffee shop and avoid the rumour mill bollocks.
    Stay off the PC, ie Faceache. It makes you look like a childish **** to your supervisors.
    Be proactive. Ask your supervisors if they need anything done during the shift.
    Take ownership of a defect. Don't just walk past it. Fix it or ask how do you fix it.
    Look for another job now you have experience offshore if you feel you're going nowhere.

Drop me a PM if you're looking for info on trades.

Best of luck!

10. Seadog

If you aspire to continuing a marine engineering career at sea, here is what you have to do to get into the MCA's Scheme of Competency.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/282362/min468.pdf

There is a deck equivalent out there too. I know/know of several RN officers and senior rates who have taken this route - started while still serving - and now have Masters(Unlimited) or Chief Engineer - not to be confused with Chief Stoker - (Unlimited) Certificates of Competency.

11. @witsend an oiler's other duties are to fill in as motorman as required and assist mechanic or electrician with PMs or fault rectification. I am on a jackup and have been offshore 2 years. I know it's a long time to be "stranded" however hr have only just moved the goalposts in response to 2 people they made up to electrician and et via the opito training transformation program (which is how I joined as well) whom then proceeded to not meet expectations. As for having met any ex officers the answer is no. None, not even at the heliport. I am planning to try and stay in the offshore industry. I am trying to get as much "backup" to my cv as when the current slump abates then I can look in earnest for companies that have more robust training programs. However I plan to get some mca quals as this still keeps options open. Ha, well you know what they say, well laid plans never survive contact with the enemy.

Thank you all. This has given me much to think about. As far as I can tell my op has been answered with much gratitude and this thread can be closed.

If I find anything out, would the community like me to post anything?

12. what jobs in oil industry can an A.E.T fill, out of curiosity, thanks

13. As an engineer you will have engineering skills, changing a valve on a Merlin is only the same a changing a valve on a pipeline, however the size my be different.

It's having the mental and physical attributes to turn your hand to new skills that gets you the jobs in civvy street after the mob :)

14. Makes sense, it's just that I've heard a lot of M.E going into the oil industry and was curious, thanks for that

15. Sorry for possibly resurrecting a dead thread however in my time since my last posts, I have gleaned much information. I had found a course with Bournemouth and poole college that met my criteria, however the next stumbling block has been how to get the NVQ assessor to sign off on my practical assessments, I have talked to other companies and they have all agreed that an "apprenticeship" is required for either mechanic or electrician, this means the likes of ones provided by City & Guilds as they categorically do not recognise my RN apprenticeship. on a lighter note I know for definite a company that readily recruits ex-RN, KCA Deutag, this is only due to the fact that the head of HR there is an ex RN officer who worked in the resettlement office prior to leaving and he occasionally visits pompey dockyard to do interview days. So again if I get any joy with specific courses, providers and the such that can help anyone going electrical/electronics then I will post them here in this thread. But I do expect some time before I can update due to the college staff being quite busy with the new pupils going through. other than that the only other option I have seen is working on the beach with a company that is willing to put you through and adult apprenticeship. which companies that would be willing to do this I have no idea as it is not an option for me specifically. good luck to anyone still trying to break into this cliquey industry and those trying to bolster their skills whilst still in it.

16. Nice one keep on updating

17. just a little update, to get the NVQ an assessor must be on site, so he must have his bosiet and mist. so though Bournemouth and poole have an excellent training package they cannot provide the assessor. Looking locally in the Hampshire area it is the same problem. If people are looking to go offshore it seems a better option to get some form of trade papers on the beach (so for electricians this would be some form of NVQ3 and an AM2) then try and go offshore. Either that when the industry comes out of this slump companies may be more inclined to do more grass roots training with regards to ex-forces. Just keep an eye on the industry and wait a few months after the oil price picks up to allow the backlog of offshore personnel to get jobs again.

My next thing is to find out some information. As I am an ex ME tiff, I distinctly remember getting 2 certs at my "graduation" from HMS Sultan, one is the HND from Portsmouth uni, which I have, the other I cannot remember. I spoke to someone who just joined the company as a mechanic who was a tiff like me and he had this second cert and we came to the conclusion that this cert was the RN equivalent of trade papers to say that an apprenticeship had been completed. I am however concerned that as when I was made redundant, I had not completed my 1s or 2s and that my colleague remembers getting some sort of cert upon being ready for CPO. Can anyone shed light upon this matter and advise me what the missing cert is? (this may be the key to companies not recognising my training as they believe that I have not completed any form of physical hands on training that would be applicable)

18. The other qual was city and guilds level 3 in engineering maintenance, you don't need to do a nvQ.

19. I have to say your company sounds like they don't what they are talking about and are only doing this to make you jump through hoops. If you completed a HND then you have a Level 5 qualification which trumps any level 3 NVQ. Any time served after your HND qualification gained would also be more than equivalent to any NVQ apprenticeship.

I am also an ex tiff who completed the HND, and I can speak which a great deal of confidence in saying what I do as I am currently teaching at a further education college where we teach the level 3 NVQ in marine engineering (as well as the HNC which is a level 4 qualification).

The other qualification you received from Sultan was a level 3 City and Guilds diploma in electro mechanical maintenance.