PRNC

Got my PRNC in two weeks up in Scotland, anyone on here recently been? Care to share your experiences? Just to give me a heads up as to what to expect.

Thanks in advance

Had my PRNC July 2nd. You'll turn up to the base and be given a quick BMI test and then ordered to grab you new kit and boots that you'll have to stay in for the entire duration of your PRNC. The only time you're allowed in civvies is when it's downtime in the evening. You'll be given your name badges with your future title on them. If they're incorrect I.e name spelt wrong, change it. I'm going for ETWE SM and they forgot to put SM on mine. There's a shit load of PowerPoint presentations, just make sure you always pay attention and take in all the information too as it'll help you in your naval career. End of day 1 finishes by having a quick "icebreaker" session where you stand in front of the class and talk about yourself for 2 minutes. 3 of you will then be assigned roles - Class Leader, deputy Class Leader and Bosun, I got Bosun. Its not all bad though as if you get selected for one of these roles, it then gets relayed to Raleigh to say you took on that role and how well you did with it. Day 2 is your 2.4km run. You'll have a decent breakfast with plenty to eat, then have a quick PowerPoint presentation, before marching down to the gym, getting changed then heading off to the parade square where you need to run 6.5 laps of the square. Every lap you'll be asked to shout out how many laps you have remaining. On your final lap they'll give you your time, DO NOT FORGET IT. You'll then be asked to recall your time, make sure you get it right. I got 9min 58, another guy on my course set the fastest time ever with 7min 42, dude's a psycho haha. You'll then head back down to the gym for a quick IMF. Just do as the staff tell you at all times and always give 100%, then can tell when you don't. This consists of a lot of sit ups, press ups, burpees etc. You'll then be ordered to get washed, changed and fell in outside in 5 minutes. If any of you are late, you'll ALL be beasted and believe it's not nice haha. You'll march back to your dorm, have a few more presentations then off to bed. Day 3, again plenty of breakfast, presentations, then march back to the gym for your swim test. This is a 50m swim ANY stroke in 4 minutes, piece of piss. You'll team up as a group of 6, jump in at the deep end then be ordered to swim straight away. Reach the flag at the 25m mark then swim back and climb out unaided. You'll then change into overalls and rally back to the front of the pool with your 6. When you're group is called, go back to the deep end, jump in and tread water for 2 minutes, then do the 50m swim again and climb out unaided at the deep end in 6 minutes. This is pretty tough if you're not a strong swimmer, but luckily this element isn't pass or fail, and everyone is there to help you succeed so don't panic. Just remember, the 50m initial swim is pass or fail, but if you put on a poor performance with the overalls or fail it altogether then it'll be relayed to Raleigh. After all this, get washed, changed and fell in outside again, remember DONT BE LATE. March back to the dorms, more presentations then head on the coach to Faslane. Beautiful place and totally overwhelming the sheer size of the base. You'll be given lanyards the moment you walk in and have about a million military checkpoints to go through. You'll then meet the bish, lovely bloke, then head over to the gym for a royal thrashing from one of the PT's. You'll be told not to lose your lanyard and be punished if you do, so always keep it on you, even in the gym! Again, do as you're told at all times and never slack. He'll set up 3 stations, each with 4 individual tasks on each station. This is all HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training) so you have 30 seconds on each individual task, wait for the whistle, move on to the next station and do the next task etc. etc. Each station varies between core, legs and arms. So things like press ups, sprints and sit ups. You all have to do the entire 3 section, 4 task circuit 3 times over with 1 minute break inbetween each circuit. You'll be blowing out of your arse by the time you finish. Just keep going, never stop and give 100%, I can't stress that enough. Finish, get washed, changed and fell in outside in 3 minutes this time. Go off to get some lovely grub. Eat hearty, you've all earnt it by this point. Head down to the submarine yard, you'll be asked what class you want to visit. I went on V class, but most chose A class. Loved the sub visit. I won't spoil it for you, but it's not what you're expecting. After the sub visit, head back to coach and back to base for more presentations, then off to bed. Day 4, final day, again plenty of breakfast, presentations then back to the gym for the last time for your 5km squad run. You'll be given the delight of having the run conducted by a royal marine, we had a sergeant and he was screaming a lot haha. During the run, always keep at the instructors pace, if he speeds up, you do the same, if he slows down, you slow down etc. You'll have to do 2 full laps of the entire base (which isn't small) and every 5 or so minutes he'll instruct you to do 10 burpees or sit ups or whatever he feels like giving you, again just give it your all. You'll then have to do Fartlec which is a run in pairs of 2 where the 2 at the back of the line will sprint to the front of the queue, the next 2 at the back will then do the same and it'll keep going until he tell you to stop. You'll then run to the top of a hill to the parade square and be told to do gridders. These are ******* horrible. You'll be in your pair of 2's again with one of you at the front in row 1, row 1 will sprint to the instructor on the other side of the square and sprint back. While row 1 is doing this, row 2 will be doing squats to regain their breath and composure. When row 1 has finished, they'll then swap with row 2, row 2 will then do the sprints while row 1 then does the squats. Each round, the instructor will move closer to you and ask you to do more sprints laps. You'll be fucked by the end trust me. Get fell in back into line and head to the car park for a final thrash. You'll get back into your pairs again and be ordered to sprint to the instructor at the top of the car park. Reach him, jog back then sprint again. This won't stop until he's happy with your performance so just give it your all. Back to the gym, get washed, changed and fell in outside one last time then head back to the dorm for your final brief. You'll be given a 1 to 1 with one of the div staff and be given a certificate to say you've passed. Get given a navy shirt (which is really ******* good) then sent back to the train station where you'll go home. Really really fun time at PRNC. Few things to note - don't piss the staff off, always do as you're told at all times, always refer to them by their title or just "staff", always give 100%, ask a lot of questions as they're there to help you, the day 2 run is pass or fail so make sure you pass. If you fail, you'll almost certainly be sent home. one guy ran his time in 15 minutes, the PT went ******* crazy at him and sent him home. The day 3 50m swim is pass or fail, the treading water and swim phase in overalls isn't. The day 4 squad run isn't pass or fail. Just remember, they'll be watching you at all times like a hawk and will relay your overall performance at PRNC down to Raleigh. Just get in there and have lots of fun.

Oh and day 4 youll have the armory visit before your squad run where you'll get to see and work with rifles. You won't be able to fire them, but you'll be given an insight into them. I've probably missed a few things but that's the basics of what you'll cover.

Thank you so much for that, I’m sure I speak for us all that are going this month that have read this, it’s a huge help. Can’t wait to get started and best of luck in your career.

Thank you so much for that, I’m sure I speak for us all that are going this month that have read this, it’s a huge help. Can’t wait to get started and best of luck in your career.
No problems at all mate, best of luck to yours too, just go out there and have fun. Any questions then don't hesitate to ask, I'll help you lot out as much as possible :)

No problems at all mate, best of luck to yours too, just go out there and have fun. Any questions then don't hesitate to ask, I'll help you lot out as much as possible :)
I have my PRNC coming up soon also, hoping you can answer a couple of questions for me .
1. What other sections of the PRNC are pass or fail other than the 1.5mile run and 50m swim
and
2. Are you allowed to wear a watch to help pace yourself during the 1.5mile run/4km squad run.

I have my PRNC coming up soon also, hoping you can answer a couple of questions for me .
1. What other sections of the PRNC are pass or fail other than the 1.5mile run and 50m swim
and
2. Are you allowed to wear a watch to help pace yourself during the 1.5mile run/4km squad run.

I can only answer question 1. But on my PRNC joining instructions, it states that the 2.4km run and the Swim test are the only pass fail elements of the PRNC. But the other sections are closely monitored to send on to Raleigh.

1. Only the 1.5 mile run and the 50m swim are pass or fail, everything else is just an insight into what you can expect at Raleigh.

2. Not allowed to wear any watches or swimming goggles.