PRNC Under 18 accommodation

Got my PRNC in October at MOD Caledonia. I will be 16 when i go. It says on the letter under 18s will be put in separate accommodation.
Will these be single bedded rooms or rooms you share with other under 18s?
I will be 17 when I go Raleigh. Would I also be put in separate accommodation? If not why do they do it at the PRNC?This is the first time I heard of separate accommodation for under 18s.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
News to me also. I imagine it is due to some form of child protection legislation as we seem to tie ourselves in knots with this sort of stuff.

If a civilian female, under 18, is accommodated overnight, they need a Female member of staff on site overnight also . All members of staff must have Disclosure (CRB checks in old money). Unfortunately, this disadvantages female staff as they are in a minority.

Once you join, accommodation is the same for everyone regardless of age, separated by whatever gender the individual chooses to identify as.

Once you join, someone who is biologically male, identifies as a female and is sexually attracted to females would theoretically be accommodated in female accommodation, together with under 18 females, for example.

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Either way, if you get your own room on PRNC make the most of it as accommodation whilst in training and when serving afloat is usually multiple occupancy.

Once you join, someone who is biologically male, identifies as a female and is sexually attracted to females would theoretically be accommodated in female accommodation, together with under 18 females, for example.
Ah so if I fail my 2.4km run by a couple of seconds or so I can always just identify as a female to get the extra time ;)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ah so if I fail my 2.4km run by a couple of seconds or so I can always just identify as a female to get the extra time ;)
You would certainly not be the first. There is a person that identifies as male, but is biologically female and has succesfully argued the female PJFT applies.

In all walks of life, there are those who exploit their gender and sexuality to their personal advantage. My friends and colleagues in our RN Compass Network would be the first to admit there are those who do the cause more harm than good, but to be fair, when wasn't there a matelot who took the piss?

You would certainly not be the first. There is a person that identifies as male, but is biologically female and has succesfully argued the female PJFT applies.
So the run time is based on your biological gender and not your "Identity gender" ? Or is it a case by case basis? (I have no intention of changing genders or anything Iam just curious)

I am not sexist, racist or otherwise bigoted (ok, apart from against brummies maybe - but I'm from the Black Country so its allowed), but this strikes me as being somewhat hypocritical.
If you want to be identified as not of your birth gender surely you should take all that that decision brings?

Anyway - as @Ballistic implied, can of worms.

prnc will have you accomodated with other under 18’s where possible but after that you’ll be mixed age, the only difference is in ph2 and beyond when your leave expires at 2359 and they conduct a welfare check to make sure of this until the point that you turn 18.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Probably a better argument to not recruit under 18s than I've heard for some time from the child soldier team. How much effort and resource is invested in this for how few recruits?

Probably a better argument to not recruit under 18s than I've heard for some time from the child soldier team. How much effort and resource is invested in this for how few recruits?
Tbf it doesn’t make a difference to the manpower requirement because the welfare checks are conducted by the guy doing silent hours rounds anyway, and as for the prnc course I imagine the courses will be allocated to have more than one U18 as not to waste the accommodation resource.

I went in my PRNC last month at collingwood, i am also 17 and we had enough people to have made a cabin full of under 18s but we were all spread between different ones, so i don’t think its an issue of high priority

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk