PRNC soon never been to the gym.

Discussion in 'Joining the Royal Navy' started by HartleyK, Aug 21, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my PRNC on the 19th September and I am reasonably fit. I have never lifted weights and I am unsure of how strong I actually am. What should I do? Also I can't do back stroke.
  2. Go outside and run.
    Use your own body weight to increase your strength.

Not sure why you are asking..
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Presumably, you have followed the eight week pre-joining fitness programme, as advised by your AFCO?

If not, you reap what you sow & the 'sympathy-o-meter' barely twitched.

You need to be swimming breaststroke, not backstroke. As stated, a gym is not necessary but cv fitness, including swimming and bodyweight exercises are essential.
  4. I have my prnc in 8 weeks and a Raleigh date very soon after that and I haven't been given any fitness program, or any advice at all actually. I don't need it, my fitness is up to scratch but should I have gotten that booklet in the post or something?
  5. my afco emailed me the link to it as a pdf when I booked my RT
  6. Ninja_Stoker

We generally try to avoid spoon-feeding.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I'm doing my PRNC on the 19th too! And I'm so nervous, even though I've been training I still don't feel fit enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Yes, that's why you have over 10,000 posts on here...... ;)
  9. Ninja_Stoker

...and yet we have to train people when they join.

Still, it gives TMO's something to do, beyond yearning for a green beret, s'pose ;)
  10. Wish I'd have read that before I came hahaha ffs
  11. Ninja_Stoker

How did it go?
  12. It went brilliantly thanks for asking! Enjoyed most of it except from the Chaplain who seemed to try put us off. Made me more eager for Raleigh however.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

CofE, RC, Mullah, Free Church, Rabbi or Church of Scotland?

The Bish, not you.
  14. It was in the chaplain at faslane. she was really negative to be honest. Ask Jade Baynes above /\
  15. Sounds interesting, do tell ;)
  16. Kept saying things like 'the ultimate price could be your life' -how many deaths a year there are- you are signing your freedom away
  17. Wow. That's really constructive o_O
  18. Okay. Now I have a lot more time to post a reply. The 'Bish', as she likes to call herself, seemed to be extremely negative whilst talking to us. I was perfectly content walking into the building until she introduced herself. She spoke very softly; like a counsellor who didn't really give a toss. She brought up the theme of death, and began by saying that could be our ultimate price by signing up to the navy. She then went onto facts regarding amount of annual deaths on average over the last 10 years. This wasn't what we wanted to hear before we have even completed the PRNC as our motivation levels seemed to drop significantly. Everyone walked out of the building sighing and was somewhat relieved it was over.
  19. Ive dipped in and out of this forum over the past few years - so firstly - what is a PRNC?

Secondly - if the bish has been in Faslane for more than a few days I dont blame her. Drafted there is like dying - twice.

Of course there are other drafts available - such as my current one - which sweeten the deal nicely. So swings and round things and all that.
  20. Great boost of morale just before basic training.

I guess the 'Bish' was just trying to bring the reality home to everyone who is about to join.