PRNC Press-ups (Females)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Holli, Sep 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, just a quick question.

I join Raleigh in a few weeks and have just been told by a few girls I join with that girls now cant do press-ups on there knees and they have to do them like the boys do.

The fitness booklet I have says women must do them on there knees to prevent injury, so I cant see how this can be true. Can someone please clarify this for me.

I am starting to worry as I can only do 10 the other way but if it is true I still will have time to build it up before Raleigh.

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  2. Just do lots of good form press Ups in all styles, keep doing them and then you're prepared for any eventuality. And have bench arms!

3. Ha well I am doing them both ways at the moment, to cover for both possiblities just 3 weeks isnt a long time to build up the boys press-ups.

4. I will have to clean my act up I have images in my head that should not be there, time for a cold shower I think.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I wondered who would be first, dirty boy back on the step

6. Unfortunately I was thinking along the same lines Sumo, off to the naughty step!!

7. Just like buses

8. Personally I find that If I do press ups on my back I can do 300 + !!!!!!!

9. Did you not have to do full press ups on PRNC? We were told we had to do full ones and could drop to our knees once we couldn't do anymore but the ones on our knees didn't count towards the score we gave at the end. We were advised that we will be expected to do full press ups at Raleigh.

Hope this helps x

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm reliably advised that HMS Raleigh informed the acquaint centres in April this year that males and females will now do full press-ups, a maximum in one minute.

Presumably this will be formally announced sooner or later and page 9 of the Pre Joining Fitness Programme issued to all potential joiners, will be amended in due course to reflect the change:http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/fc...ddef02-0x0.pdf

• Like Like x 2
  11. no I did my PRNC in may and we did them the normal way, well I have 3 weeks to build up to 20.

12. Google press up variations and build strength to your own personal limits rather than that required by the navy.

13. What again=D

I am I ever going to get of this step?:happy6:
    :happy6:
    Is it not the naval requirement you are trying to achieve as pass or fail will depend on this? Being able to stick your thumb up your arse and whistle Royal Britannia may be good in its right but useless if not required?:confused4:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Whilst of little consolation, until you actually mentioned it on here, I was unaware of this change & suspect that we weren't alone.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ninja_Stoker

News just in....

Those joining HMS Raleigh should be aware that as part of a trial, recruits and trained ratings, male and female, will conduct a one minute maximal test of sit-ups and one minute maximal test of full press-ups.

It is not a pass/fail test, just a means of gathering data for changes that may or may not be implemented at a later date.

The New Entry Fitness Test and the Royal Navy Fitness Test pass/fail criteria remains "as is" until further notice.

Those joining HMS Raleigh, male and female, are therefore advised to practice maximum effort one minute of sit-ups and maximum effort one minute of full press-ups as part of their routine fitness preparations in accordance with the Pre Joining Fitness Programme.

17. how low do you have to go?

18. You can't get much lower than a Regulator.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Judging by the pre-joining fitness programme, your chest touches the clenched fist of your oppo on each dip.
    Press-ups.jpg Support position: Hands should beplaced shoulder-width apart with your fingers pointing forward; your back should be straight with head and eyes looking naturally forward. From this position your body should be lowered until your chest is just clear of the ground (arms at 90 degrees), and then extend your arms back to the support position.

20. Ninja_Stoker

One that retains both testicles & a 9 Iron, is best.

• Like Like x 1