PRNC MOD CALEDONIA May 2018. What to expect

D

Deleted 66241

Sorry to jump on a slightly older post.

I've got my PRNC early October, and i and well and truly quacking it now. But i know its all in my head and its just fear of the unknown.

I appreciate the time you spent to write up stuff like this. My running isn't bad, i can do 2.4 on a treadmill in just under 11 minutes and do a parkrun in about 30 minutes, but what would you say the best is to build endurance and body strength? Cause i really feel that my sit ups and press ups are lacking.

Cheers!

Balwearie101

Badgeman
Sorry to jump on a slightly older post.

I've got my PRNC early October, and i and well and truly quacking it now. But i know its all in my head and its just fear of the unknown.

I appreciate the time you spent to write up stuff like this. My running isn't bad, i can do 2.4 on a treadmill in just under 11 minutes and do a parkrun in about 30 minutes, but what would you say the best is to build endurance and body strength? Cause i really feel that my sit ups and press ups are lacking.

Cheers!

Only one thing you can do to improve on Press ups and sit ups. Do more of them. How I start every workout session is - 3 sets of 40 Press ups, 3 sets of 30 Sit ups(my weakest exercise by far) and 3 sets of 12 RM pull ups(pause at the top and fully extend arms on the way down). I do the pull ups as I find it helps my arm and back strength significantly, just like deadlifts. So I feel I can’t go wrong with them. Now if you are struggling with Press ups and sit ups as a whole, try some accessory movements. These could be explosive dumbbell presses, tricep dips or even knee Press ups for Press ups, crunches and 30 second planks for sit ups. But as I said, the only thing that will significantly help both exercises is doing more of the pair.

As for running, try and run at least 3 times a week at a minimum of 3 miles per session. Try your best not to run two days in a row as rest is very important with running. Although, once at Raleigh, you’ll forget the meaning of rest ;). But if you are feeling like an absolute animal and want to run a quick 1.5 miler, bash on. How I worked on my endurance is I went down to my local promenade down the beach, and sprinted between every second lamppost. Interval training is very good for increasing endurance believe it or not.

Surprisingly, the PRNC isn’t that hard if you do your absolute best. Although, you’ll have your work cut out for you at “team games”. Just get a grip and dig out! As long as you’re hitting the bare minimum and actually showing that you’re making an effort, you should be fine though.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted 66241

Only one thing you can do to improve on Press ups and sit ups. Do more of them. How I start every workout session is - 3 sets of 40 Press ups, 3 sets of 30 Sit ups(my weakest exercise by far) and 3 sets of 12 RM pull ups(pause at the top and fully extend arms on the way down). I do the pull ups as I find it helps my arm and back strength significantly, just like deadlifts. So I feel I can’t go wrong with them. Now if you are struggling with Press ups and sit ups as a whole, try some accessory movements. These could be explosive dumbbell presses, tricep dips or even knee Press ups for Press ups, crunches and 30 second planks for sit ups. But as I said, the only thing that will significantly help both exercises is doing more of the pair.

As for running, try and run at least 3 times a week at a minimum of 3 miles per session. Try your best not to run two days in a row as rest is very important with running. Although, once at Raleigh, you’ll forget the meaning of rest ;). But if you are feeling like an absolute animal and want to run a quick 1.5 miler, bash on. How I worked on my endurance is I went down to my local promenade down the beach, and sprinted between every second lamppost. Interval training is very good for increasing endurance believe it or not.

Surprisingly, the PRNC isn’t that hard if you do your absolute best. Although, you’ll have your work cut out for you at “team games”. Just get a grip and dig out! As long as you’re hitting the bare minimum and actually showing that you’re making an effort, you should be fine though.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Thanks for the quick reply!

For the running, I run 3 times a week as is, Monday is a timed Run on a treadmill, Wednesday is interval training on a treadmill and Saturday is a local Park run. The one thing I can and will focus on in upping the distance to 3 miles from now on. Would you recommend getting away from the treadmill now and focus on road running?

Usually on a Monday I will try do strength training as well. But i do make sure on my Non-run days, I at least attempt strength with a 30 day fitness challenge app. I don't feel that confident to do this at the gym currently. From now on though will just persevere and try to improve on Press-ups and Sit-ups daily.

I think mentally I'll be up for the challenge, as I will be with others, i find that easier to motivate myself. Currently just doing it alone is morale-sapping.

Cheers, once again!

Balwearie101

Badgeman
Thanks for the quick reply!

For the running, I run 3 times a week as is, Monday is a timed Run on a treadmill, Wednesday is interval training on a treadmill and Saturday is a local Park run. The one thing I can and will focus on in upping the distance to 3 miles from now on. Would you recommend getting away from the treadmill now and focus on road running?

Usually on a Monday I will try do strength training as well. But i do make sure on my Non-run days, I at least attempt strength with a 30 day fitness challenge app. I don't feel that confident to do this at the gym currently. From now on though will just persevere and try to improve on Press-ups and Sit-ups daily.

I think mentally I'll be up for the challenge, as I will be with others, i find that easier to motivate myself. Currently just doing it alone is morale-sapping.

Cheers, once again!

Yes mate definitely get outside on roads! There is no situation that you’ll be on a treadmill once during PRNC or training so there is no need to be on them. Although if it’s snowing and icy and shite, treadmills are perfect.

Are you doing any swimming?

Only things you need to do in the gym are - big compound movements, i.e, deadlifts, squats, shoulder press, bench press, etc. And dynamic movements, i.e, Press ups, pull ups and sit ups. Trust me, create a workout with all those included, and you won’t go wrong.

D

Deleted 66241

Fantastic, I've found a local running route I've been meaning to try out. And at least it gets me out of the stuffy gyms. But I do find it easier keeping pace on a treadmill when it's set to a specific speed.

Swimming, I do usually once a week. But I've been a strong swimmer since childhood. I can easily do the 50meters and tread water. That's my strong point.

Cheers for that. I'm going to go speak to someone at the gym later and try get a PT routine build around it.

Thanks for the help!

Just to hit on something from earlier you mentioned about the team games. I'm sure I read in this post or another about doing a set of somethinf physically demanding whilst you run 50 meters and then alternate. Is that what you meant by that?

Balwearie101

Badgeman
Fantastic, I've found a local running route I've been meaning to try out. And at least it gets me out of the stuffy gyms. But I do find it easier keeping pace on a treadmill when it's set to a specific speed.

Swimming, I do usually once a week. But I've been a strong swimmer since childhood. I can easily do the 50meters and tread water. That's my strong point.

Cheers for that. I'm going to go speak to someone at the gym later and try get a PT routine build around it.

Thanks for the help!

Just to hit on something from earlier you mentioned about the team games. I'm sure I read in this post or another about doing a set of somethinf physically demanding whilst you run 50 meters and then alternate. Is that what you meant by that?

From my experience at a RM PRMC, team games included laps of bottom field, sets of 50m sprints uphill with people on your back(usually much heavier than yourself). Not to mention the constant press ups, sit ups and bear crawls you would have to do in between everything else.

Here’s hoping my PRNC isn’t intense as my PRMC I done when I was 17, but you bet I know it’s going to be intense!

Best of luck anyway mate!

D

Deleted 66241

Oh god that sounds interesting..

Slightly glad it isn't the PRMC!

But good luck to yourself pal, and thanks for the advice.