PRNC MOD CALEDONIA May 2018. What to expect

Monday
Get off the train muster with the other awkward looking lads and lasses, get to know them it’ll help later on in the course, couple of AB’s will come and pick you up, keep your train tickets handy, you get onto base and have a brief about the do’s and Don’ts and all that, the staff will introduce themselves and spin a few dits, loosen up they will take the piss out of you (if your ginger then good luck) so take it on the chin and have a laugh, whilest you can, get your kit, room keys, you’ll be assigned a mess usually a 3, 2, or a 1 man mess, get your kit on and head back downstairs for more briefs, more briefs and more briefs, little drill lesson before you get marched off to scran, The foods sound, no problems with it at all, make sure you have a nice big scran in you because you’ll be doing ice breakers and more briefs into the night, the ice breakers are good, just tell them about you and they’ll then pick class leader, Dept class leader and mess bosun, then you’ll learn quickly how to make your bed, hospital corners etc. It’s really not that hard if you listen carefully and take it all in, you will be assessed daily on your bed, then lights out and have a good kip.

Tuesday
Staff do their rounds at 6 and make sure everyone’s up (I’d get up at 5:30 if I were you) have a shower, shave (remember to shave if you’ve got a face like a dogs bollocks because if the PTI finds stubble you will be beasted and get a good bollocking. Our class already accumulated 300 press-ups on the Tuesday, see the lighter side of it though the PTI’s are brilliant and want to help you), get your bed ready and muster outside in 3 ranks ready to be marched to scran, this is the day of the 2.4km so make sure you eat what you can keep down, a few lads had a full english and cereal, guess you can figure out where that went later on. March back, get ur kit ready and March off to the Gym. as soon as you step through the gym building doors DO NOT WALK even if you can’t go anywhere Just Jog on the spot if they catch you walking then.. RIP. Have about 5minutes to get changed and all that, don’t wear any jewellery even sports watches, just don’t wear them. you’ll do a few stretches and then squad run upto the track, it’s just a square road that goes around a part of the base, 6 and a half laps around it BEST EFFORT the OIC, 2IC, Div Staff will be watching you, get your times and remember your times you will be asked what time you got later on. Make sure you give 110% the staff will be monitoring you and it will get sent to raleigh. Head back down to the gym if you made it that far, and do a bit of IMF, it’s just a taster and you’ll learn how to do burpees, press ups, squats and whatever else in the military IMF way, it’s fun and always do your best. Then you get showered go back to your block and have more briefs and more briefs, scran , then learn how to iron PCS pants and shirt, again listen carefully. You’ll then have another inspection after scran so just do your best the staff won’t go mad if you can’t do it first time but they can tell when you’ve tried and when you haven’t so do it to the best of your ability. Lights out get some kip.

Wednesday
Best day by far. Head to the gym after scran for your swim test, obviously you do your swim 50m in 4 mins, it’s ******* easy so just smash it, then you get into ur boiler suits and tread water for 2 mins (I found it quite hard to stay above the water, don’t struggle, relax and Just bob and you’ll be sound) then swim 50m in your boiler suits and get out unaided again in under 4 minutes, easy right?., have lunch, a few more briefs then you head off to faslane, 2hrs on the coach, you get their and head off to see the bish, have a cup of tea, busicuts loosen up and take in what he says, he’ll have a laugh and a bit of banter then ask you to talk about yourself and your spiritual views (just do it and don’t moan). Then you head off to the gym, **** ME, the circuits are ******* hard, you’ll get changed and muster in the gym hall, do a few warm ups and the PTI will just appear out of nowhere screaming, do as he says without a hint of doubt. You’ll do some killer circuits and really get pushed to your limit, it will be hard and even the fittest of lads will get pushed to ther limit, you have to give it you’re all as your div staff will be watching, it is hell and st least one of the recruits will throw up, but after it you feel ******* amazing, I thought that session was hell but it’s the best thing I’ve ever done in my life you’ll feel like you can go 12 rounds with Anthony Joshua after it and you’ll all be pumped up to the 9’s ready for he sub visit, head off to scran (the scran is belter) get a big meal down you, enjoy it because you’ve ******* earnt it. Then you either get to chose between the new astute class sub or the vanguard class sub, me and a few other lads went on the vanguard class so can’t touch on the astute class really, the sub visits the best part, you’ll meet some mariners, probably take the piss out of you whilest your on board but again, loosen up and take it on the chin, you’ll get showed around and most of you will leave saying “I’m going to branch over to submariner me”
Then head back to Caledonian for some more briefs and then lights out.

Thursday
You think all is well and you have scran thinking your going for a slow little 4K squad run. “Yeah... what’s a 4K going to do? Nothing..” beware, the course doesn’t stop till you step on that train son. Head down the gym get changed and then start the squad run, we had the fittest marines on base taking ours, your start off just doing a lap or the base, then the circuits Kick in, 10 press-ups 10 sit-ups 10 burpees 10 squats then back into 3 ranks and off you go, then you’ll stop again, do sprints till your breathing in air from Thailand and legs are hanging off by the veins, then back into the run, then you’ll stop again... I think you get he ******* gist, it’s ******* hard, and again you’ll be pushed to your limit, but after it you’ll feel like you’ve just done a marathon, head back, shower, change, then get into your civvies and have an short ‘interview’, basically you read a few things sign a few things then head into the class room, scran your rat pack and pick up a t shirt, get on the bus and go back to inverkeithing.

Overall PRNC is ******* hard, but make the most of it as it’s only going to get harder when your at raleigh, if your not physically fit then make sure you are before attending but you don’t need to be a ******* super athlete just as long as you give 110% you’ll be fine, it’s all in your head, when you want to give up don’t carry on and dig deep. You’ll meet some sound lads and lasses on the course and probably will go to raleigh with some of them, be friendly be yourself and have a good time, know when to have banter and when to be serious, this is where your career starts so make sure you give it your all and prove to the staff that you want to be in the Royal Navy, good luck

(If I’ve missed anything feel free to add it below)

This is ******* helpful mate, cheers! Got mines on the 17th September, I’m fairly fit(clocked best 1.5mile 9:15), but I’ve done a few sessions with RM PTI’s, and I know what you mean by “it’s all in your head”...
What stage are you at now, if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to jump on a slightly older post.

I've got my PRNC early October, and i and well and truly quacking it now. But i know its all in my head and its just fear of the unknown.

I appreciate the time you spent to write up stuff like this. My running isn't bad, i can do 2.4 on a treadmill in just under 11 minutes and do a parkrun in about 30 minutes, but what would you say the best is to build endurance and body strength? Cause i really feel that my sit ups and press ups are lacking.

Cheers!

Sorry to jump on a slightly older post.

I've got my PRNC early October, and i and well and truly quacking it now. But i know its all in my head and its just fear of the unknown.

I appreciate the time you spent to write up stuff like this. My running isn't bad, i can do 2.4 on a treadmill in just under 11 minutes and do a parkrun in about 30 minutes, but what would you say the best is to build endurance and body strength? Cause i really feel that my sit ups and press ups are lacking.

Cheers!
Only one thing you can do to improve on Press ups and sit ups. Do more of them. How I start every workout session is - 3 sets of 40 Press ups, 3 sets of 30 Sit ups(my weakest exercise by far) and 3 sets of 12 RM pull ups(pause at the top and fully extend arms on the way down). I do the pull ups as I find it helps my arm and back strength significantly, just like deadlifts. So I feel I can’t go wrong with them. Now if you are struggling with Press ups and sit ups as a whole, try some accessory movements. These could be explosive dumbbell presses, tricep dips or even knee Press ups for Press ups, crunches and 30 second planks for sit ups. But as I said, the only thing that will significantly help both exercises is doing more of the pair.

As for running, try and run at least 3 times a week at a minimum of 3 miles per session. Try your best not to run two days in a row as rest is very important with running. Although, once at Raleigh, you’ll forget the meaning of rest ;). But if you are feeling like an absolute animal and want to run a quick 1.5 miler, bash on. How I worked on my endurance is I went down to my local promenade down the beach, and sprinted between every second lamppost. Interval training is very good for increasing endurance believe it or not.

Surprisingly, the PRNC isn’t that hard if you do your absolute best. Although, you’ll have your work cut out for you at “team games”. Just get a grip and dig out! As long as you’re hitting the bare minimum and actually showing that you’re making an effort, you should be fine though.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Only one thing you can do to improve on Press ups and sit ups. Do more of them. How I start every workout session is - 3 sets of 40 Press ups, 3 sets of 30 Sit ups(my weakest exercise by far) and 3 sets of 12 RM pull ups(pause at the top and fully extend arms on the way down). I do the pull ups as I find it helps my arm and back strength significantly, just like deadlifts. So I feel I can’t go wrong with them. Now if you are struggling with Press ups and sit ups as a whole, try some accessory movements. These could be explosive dumbbell presses, tricep dips or even knee Press ups for Press ups, crunches and 30 second planks for sit ups. But as I said, the only thing that will significantly help both exercises is doing more of the pair.

As for running, try and run at least 3 times a week at a minimum of 3 miles per session. Try your best not to run two days in a row as rest is very important with running. Although, once at Raleigh, you’ll forget the meaning of rest ;). But if you are feeling like an absolute animal and want to run a quick 1.5 miler, bash on. How I worked on my endurance is I went down to my local promenade down the beach, and sprinted between every second lamppost. Interval training is very good for increasing endurance believe it or not.

Surprisingly, the PRNC isn’t that hard if you do your absolute best. Although, you’ll have your work cut out for you at “team games”. Just get a grip and dig out! As long as you’re hitting the bare minimum and actually showing that you’re making an effort, you should be fine though.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Thanks for the quick reply!

For the running, I run 3 times a week as is, Monday is a timed Run on a treadmill, Wednesday is interval training on a treadmill and Saturday is a local Park run. The one thing I can and will focus on in upping the distance to 3 miles from now on. Would you recommend getting away from the treadmill now and focus on road running?

Usually on a Monday I will try do strength training as well. But i do make sure on my Non-run days, I at least attempt strength with a 30 day fitness challenge app. I don't feel that confident to do this at the gym currently. From now on though will just persevere and try to improve on Press-ups and Sit-ups daily.

I think mentally I'll be up for the challenge, as I will be with others, i find that easier to motivate myself. Currently just doing it alone is morale-sapping.

Cheers, once again!

Thanks for the quick reply!

For the running, I run 3 times a week as is, Monday is a timed Run on a treadmill, Wednesday is interval training on a treadmill and Saturday is a local Park run. The one thing I can and will focus on in upping the distance to 3 miles from now on. Would you recommend getting away from the treadmill now and focus on road running?

Usually on a Monday I will try do strength training as well. But i do make sure on my Non-run days, I at least attempt strength with a 30 day fitness challenge app. I don't feel that confident to do this at the gym currently. From now on though will just persevere and try to improve on Press-ups and Sit-ups daily.

I think mentally I'll be up for the challenge, as I will be with others, i find that easier to motivate myself. Currently just doing it alone is morale-sapping.

Cheers, once again!
Yes mate definitely get outside on roads! There is no situation that you’ll be on a treadmill once during PRNC or training so there is no need to be on them. Although if it’s snowing and icy and shite, treadmills are perfect.

Are you doing any swimming?

Only things you need to do in the gym are - big compound movements, i.e, deadlifts, squats, shoulder press, bench press, etc. And dynamic movements, i.e, Press ups, pull ups and sit ups. Trust me, create a workout with all those included, and you won’t go wrong.

Fantastic, I've found a local running route I've been meaning to try out. And at least it gets me out of the stuffy gyms. But I do find it easier keeping pace on a treadmill when it's set to a specific speed.

Swimming, I do usually once a week. But I've been a strong swimmer since childhood. I can easily do the 50meters and tread water. That's my strong point.

Cheers for that. I'm going to go speak to someone at the gym later and try get a PT routine build around it.

Thanks for the help!

Just to hit on something from earlier you mentioned about the team games. I'm sure I read in this post or another about doing a set of somethinf physically demanding whilst you run 50 meters and then alternate. Is that what you meant by that?

Fantastic, I've found a local running route I've been meaning to try out. And at least it gets me out of the stuffy gyms. But I do find it easier keeping pace on a treadmill when it's set to a specific speed.

Swimming, I do usually once a week. But I've been a strong swimmer since childhood. I can easily do the 50meters and tread water. That's my strong point.

Cheers for that. I'm going to go speak to someone at the gym later and try get a PT routine build around it.

Thanks for the help!

Just to hit on something from earlier you mentioned about the team games. I'm sure I read in this post or another about doing a set of somethinf physically demanding whilst you run 50 meters and then alternate. Is that what you meant by that?
From my experience at a RM PRMC, team games included laps of bottom field, sets of 50m sprints uphill with people on your back(usually much heavier than yourself). Not to mention the constant press ups, sit ups and bear crawls you would have to do in between everything else.

Here’s hoping my PRNC isn’t intense as my PRMC I done when I was 17, but you bet I know it’s going to be intense!

Best of luck anyway mate!