PRNC medical

I'm confused by the mitigation. Will I be allowed the mitigation or not? I'm pretty much around the same as I was in my doctors medical not sure if I was given the mitigation to pass or not.
This is perhaps a too long winded subject to type out here in this message board forum.

You will need to read the relevant section / download the JSP 950 Medical Policy (Google it and you can download the PDF) - this will make the rules plain and simple for you, and moreover this is the document the CAPITA doctor who originally assessed you will have used.

Essentially if your BMI is not within the acceptable standards, then the service at their discretion may take a view, and can check if your waste is an acceptable length (I think 36/37 inches or less).

However this is not the default scenario, and should not be relied upon, because the Service will tend to only allow such a mitigation if you’re clearly physically slim and fit, but maybe for example you’re very muscular in appearance and not “flabby” - ergo, your muscles have pushed you slightly over the acceptable standards for the ceiling tolerance BMIs (ie: 28).

You can also find this information within the Royal Navy website, and check your BMI on the NHS BMI checker tool (also found via simple Google searches).

Bottom line is, it’s tough, but if you need to lose WEIGHT - please just crack on and get to it ASAP, and DO NOT SPECULATE, or worry about mitigations - SPEAK TO YOUR Navy Careers adviser, they’re there to help you, don’t delay! If you’re not ready, it’s better you pause, and get ready, lose weight, than go and fail on a BMI technicality.

Enough said.

This is perhaps a too long winded subject to type out here in this message board forum.

You will need to read the relevant section / download the JSP 950 Medical Policy (Google it and you can download the PDF) - this will make the rules plain and simple for you, and moreover this is the document the CAPITA doctor who originally assessed you will have used.

Essentially if your BMI is not within the acceptable standards, then the service at their discretion may take a view, and can check if your waste is an acceptable length (I think 36/37 inches or less).

However this is not the default scenario, and should not be relied upon, because the Service will tend to only allow such a mitigation if you’re clearly physically slim and fit, but maybe for example you’re very muscular in appearance and not “flabby” - ergo, your muscles have pushed you slightly over the acceptable standards for the ceiling tolerance BMIs (ie: 28).

You can also find this information within the Royal Navy website, and check your BMI on the NHS BMI checker tool (also found via simple Google searches).

Bottom line is, it’s tough, but if you need to lose WEIGHT - please just crack on and get to it ASAP, and DO NOT SPECULATE, or worry about mitigations - SPEAK TO YOUR Navy Careers adviser, they’re there to help you, don’t delay! If you’re not ready, it’s better you pause, and get ready, lose weight, than go and fail on a BMI technicality.

Enough said.
I'm under 28 so should be fine. Thanks for your help.

@DontDrown summed it up perfectly I would just add, regarding the mitigation, it is up to the person assessing you and their judgement. If you are over the size limit because you are a massive bloke and pretty cut then you will have 0 problems, if you are over because you are overweight then you will be told.

I wouldn't worry about the PRNC 'medical' though you just stand on some scales and its noted by the staff.

At present I am 110kg (being 6ft5") meaning my BMI - using the NHS Calculator - is "28.7 / 29" - putting me firmly in the 'overweight' category. Fundamentally I really do not want to waste mine or the Service's time, and I've been rathe ill this past week with a cough, sore throat (i.e. spot of the mild 'man flu') etc, so my question is should I still go, or contact the AFCO to re-arrange?

Thanks for your guidance and opinion(s).

I was in the same position, I went to my medical and passed everything except BMI, got told to go back in a few weeks when I’ve lost the last little bit and all I will need to do is get weighed again as I passed everything else - up to me to contact when I’m confident with weight. Having my interview in between that time so there isn’t much of a hold up! Good luck for your medical in Oct!

I'm confused by the mitigation. Will I be allowed the mitigation or not? I'm pretty much around the same as I was in my doctors medical not sure if I was given the mitigation to pass or not.
Yes BMI is quite a big issue for both genders and all ages nowadays, so thanks for your feedback. The / my Original Post was from last year, and so too was my CAPITA face-to-face medical. Suffice to say that I lost the weight, and after numerous setbacks and delays all is now was well/ I have my provisional (pending a PRNC in four weeks) joining date for Phase One training, scheduled for this November.