PRNC HMS Collingwood - 17th June 2019

Sam_cc

How true is it and from the previous post i saw, i think it applies to people who there entry date is on the 26th of may..

Sam_cc

Well my PRNC is on the 1st of April and i didnt geet a call or message that the PRNC has been CANCELLED.

misherwut

Midshipman
I am :)

Really looking forward to it, and who knows, we may be one of the last intakes with a PRNC behind our name
I'm looking forward to the PRNC as well! At least we won't be walking into Raleigh completely blind. It'll be interesting to see how people do without their PRNC behind them.

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
Well my PRNC is on the 1st of April and i didnt geet a call or message that the PRNC has been CANCELLED.
I have just received confirmation that my PRNC is 1st April too!!! Excited and nervous all at once lol...
I spoke to my recruitment Officer this morning and he didn't say anything about it being cancelled.

misherwut

Midshipman
I have just received confirmation that my PRNC is 1st April too!!! Excited and nervous all at once lol...
I spoke to my recruitment Officer this morning and he didn't say anything about it being cancelled.
It's a strange feeling! (Being nervous and excited). How's your preparation for joining coming along? Fitness good?

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
It's a strange feeling! (Being nervous and excited). How's your preparation for joining coming along? Fitness good?
Its getting better for sure...working on it every day. Whatever they throw at us will be a struggle and I will think I am unfit, but I know I am going to push my hardest.
Only thing I am nervous about is the running - I'm fairly strong on treadmill but not as strong on the road. So will do what I can till the 1st, and then just hope the adrenaline kicks in. Being in a group will help too - we can all help motivate and help each other.
Hows your fitness going?

misherwut

Midshipman
Its getting better for sure...working on it every day. Whatever they throw at us will be a struggle and I will think I am unfit, but I know I am going to push my hardest.
Only thing I am nervous about is the running - I'm fairly strong on treadmill but not as strong on the road. So will do what I can till the 1st, and then just hope the adrenaline kicks in. Being in a group will help too - we can all help motivate and help each other.
Hows your fitness going?
It sounds like you've identified where you think you could improve which I think is very healthy! I dread the running also, but I'm not bad at it at all.

Might sound silly but I've been trying to get used to just randomly doing push-ups and core exercises throughout the day, I've kept a tally in my head to push myself (for fun).

I guess I'm just really looking forward to getting stuck in and giving it my all!

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
I guess I'm just really looking forward to getting stuck in and giving it my all!
I am looking forward to it too! Will be great to meet other recruits and have a good taste of what we are in for.

Yup lol, running is probably a big weakness although improving it as I can. Upper body strength isn't great but I have improved massively since I started training for the RN.

Can just picture random drop downs during work etc. Classic!

misherwut

Midshipman
I am looking forward to it too! Will be great to meet other recruits and have a good taste of what we are in for.

Yup lol, running is probably a big weakness although improving it as I can. Upper body strength isn't great but I have improved massively since I started training for the RN.

Can just picture random drop downs during work etc. Classic!
I'm looking forward to meeting all the new people also!

Keep going! You'll smash it I'm sure! Just make sure you don't damage your knees/ankles/feet! Loads of people struggle with their upper body, there's loads of variations of core exercises than can help improve the strength and stability of your upper. (As I'm sure you perhaps already know!)

Haha! Colleagues at work think I'm bizarre just randomly dropping and doing 25+ push ups!

truman90

Midshipman
If I were you guys i’d practice running short distances at a quick pace i.e 800m in 3:20 as this what you’ll be doing in Raleigh and also if possible rope climbs

misherwut

Midshipman
If I were you guys i’d practice running short distances at a quick pace i.e 800m in 3:20 as this what you’ll be doing in Raleigh and also if possible rope climbs
Thanks for the heads up! I'm easily a sprinter over distance so I'm happy with the shorter sprints, I rock climb pretty regularly as well so climbing the rope won't be difficult to simulate I hope!

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
Awesome thanks so much!! Will definitely work on that! I only have a week to go till PRNC so not much time I can work with, but have a good long wait till Raleigh so that will be a big focus :)
Cannot find any where near me that has rope climb facilities! Not easy at all. Wish I could find some though...

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
I wouldn’t worry too much, as said before you’ll get taught at Raleigh,
For sure... I have kind of stopped searching for extreme gyms that offer those types of things. Would be fun to play around now and practice any way.
Quick question (in the PRNC that you had) with the squad runs etc, were there some guys that couldn't run the full distance? What happened if they stopped and needed a breather?

truman90

Midshipman
I wouldn’t worry about all of that, once you’ve passed the fitness tests and whatnot, everything else is just an insight into Raleigh, but to answer your question ...nothing happened, there was a lad that went to the toilet during a squad run

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
I wouldn’t worry about all of that, once you’ve passed the fitness tests and whatnot, everything else is just an insight into Raleigh, but to answer your question ...nothing happened, there was a lad that went to the toilet during a squad run
Lol!! That's crazy... I guess when nature calls you gotta answer. Awesome thanks for the tips. Will just do my best and hope that my running side comes out massively