PRNC Completed - anyone have any questions?

WreckerL

War Hero
Yeah I mean I’ve asked my pools to go in and wear clothes but hygiene reasons they won’t let you. But seriously after practising I can tread water for like 5 minutes now and swim 100m in one go like it’s ALL about practise! If you can swim without clothes things don’t change with clothes just don’t flap (that’s the advice I was given) :confused:

But seriously practise is all I can advise you! I feel so so much more confident now in swimming I don’t have any fears! But I started going 3/4 times a week after PRNC
IMHO, learn to swim breast stroke, swimming in overalls limits your upper arm movement considerably making front crawl difficult, if not impossible. The overalls get very heavy when soaked through.

BreechSpike

Midshipman
I know this will be a very scruitinized comment but what sort of swimwear did most people wear? Are there preferable things to wear ?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know this will be a very scruitinized comment but what sort of swimwear did most people wear? Are there preferable things to wear ?
I wouldn't wear a bikini if you are a bloke, not a complete no no nowadays, but it might make your chest hair itch.

CheekyMrT

Badgeman
Yeah it did a lot of people up there.

Just make sure you nail the 2.4km on the Tuesday, and then the swim on the Wednesday - you’ll be fine.

Swimming in overall’s is harder than you think
wow wow wow hold the phone.... a swimming test? I've not seen that any where. I can swim but how far do i need to make sure i can swim and is it timed?

BreechSpike

Midshipman
wow wow wow hold the phone.... a swimming test? I've not seen that any where. I can swim but how far do i need to make sure i can swim and is it timed?
  • Swim 50 metres in under four minutes, wearing a swimming costume, and without touching the bottom or sides of the pool. You must enter and exit the pool unaided and without using steps

CheekyMrT

Badgeman
  • Swim 50 metres in under four minutes, wearing a swimming costume, and without touching the bottom or sides of the pool. You must enter and exit the pool unaided and without using steps
Is the pool 50m in length? If its shorter and you cant touch the sides I take it you need to turn around without pushing off the wall with your feet?

BreechSpike

Midshipman
Is the pool 50m in length? If its shorter and you cant touch the sides I take it you need to turn around without pushing off the wall with your feet?
:rolleyes:I dont f****** know I havent done it yet ! hence why I asked my question. For all info look at the RN website in relation to fitness tests swims and runs ect.. should help.

CheekyMrT

Badgeman
Must of missed your question, as you answered mine I figured you knew what you were talking about hence why I queried further.

Good luck with it though.

Those undertaking that swimming test are advised to leave their irons back in the accommodation area.

If you really MUST take your Irons along for your test please ensure they are switched off at the mains socket.

BreechSpike

Midshipman
Those undertaking that swimming test are advised to leave their irons back in the accommodation area.

If you really MUST take your Irons along for your test please ensure they are switched off at the mains socket.
I heard from my AFCO that when he did in his test they all HAD to take their irons. What next.. maybe they will stop recruits having to wear wooden cloggs for drill! Not the Navy my father joined.