Prnc added time

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lewis101, Oct 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question, I've seen on a few older posts about prnc added time for the run firstly I'll stress this is not something I'll be using but I was just curious if it was a legit thing.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The additional 10% added to run times has always perplexed me also.
  3. I was recently at up at HMS Caledonia on a Submarine Look at Life course. The guys looking after us told us the extra time is due to fitness test being taken on a treadmill it is a different kind of running. I.E you can bounce and get the distance. They too thought it was ridiculous that you get the extra time. Being honest though if you can't make your required time then you have probably done no training.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I've no doubt that's what they said, but it makes a complete nonsense out of the fitness standards.

Completely agree with the RNAC staff.

If someone passes PRNC but is outside the PJFT times on the run, the AFCO get told they've passed the PRNC but are not up to the standard for entry. Then what? Nothing - there is no process policy in place to ensure the individual arrives at Raleigh, such as a PJFT re-take.

What happens? The candidate gets a phone call "Are you improving your fitness?" The reply is always "Oooh yes, of course I am". They then arrive at Raleigh, fail the run & get discharged.

Complete nonsense.
  5. I agree, it costs nothing to go out and run a few times a week. I was surprised at how much time you get for the run when i first applied. Anyone who fails only has them selves to blame, if you want the career put the work in.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I've got my PRNC on the 10th November and when I first applied I could not run I was an active person but just really struggled with running I was doing 1.5mile in like 17minute terrible I know, but now I've managed to get it down to a time of around 10:30, and still trying my best to improve every run, so I take it with the extra time it take the time allowed up to around 12minute? Correct me if I'm wrong lol which seems highly doable for majority of people
  7. To fail the run you must have done no training what so ever. How long has it taken you to drop down to 10:30? Big drop that mate think you should be happy.
  8. Thanks, I would say it's taken a good 6months or so and I mean I really sucked at running did through school and college but I'm not an unfit person lol, It just baffles me this extra in my my opinion I found it easier outside runnin then I did on a treadmill so the need for an extra minute or so at the prnc seems silly lol