Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRNC 20th March 2017, Caledonia

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Hi All,

Just wondered if anybody is heading to Caledonia on the above date for their PRNC?

iipodgeii

Badgeman
Just finished my prnc last Thursday from Caledonia, great team and location, you might still be able to see one of the aircraft carriers at the port!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Just finished my prnc last Thursday from Caledonia, great team and location, you might still be able to see one of the aircraft carriers at the port!

That would be canny as I have applied to join as an AET :)

iipodgeii

Badgeman
That would be canny as I have applied to join as an AET :)
Im also joining up as an AET, it was really useful as one of the PO's up there is an AET by trade, if you want i can let you know what our training will be like? :)

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Im also joining up as an AET, it was really useful as one of the PO's up there is an AET by trade, if you want i can let you know what our training will be like? :)

I joined as a fresh 16 year old in 2001 and completed Raleigh and Sultan. Left before I turned 18 unfortunately but managed to get onto 702 Sqdn at Yeovilton.

Now a wise (er) 32 year old I am re joining to work the career I wanted and do my 22 :)

Sultan was good when I was there (2002) and I enjoyed the course and learnt loads within the 6 months. I believe the course is fairly similar, potentially a different layout or learning styles used, but ultimately the subject remain the same (again, so I am told)

What was the schedule for Caledonia? Have you got a entry date for Raleigh?

iipodgeii

Badgeman
I joined as a fresh 16 year old in 2001 and completed Raleigh and Sultan. Left before I turned 18 unfortunately but managed to get onto 702 Sqdn at Yeovilton.

Now a wise (er) 32 year old I am re joining to work the career I wanted and do my 22 :)

Sultan was good when I was there (2002) and I enjoyed the course and learnt loads within the 6 months. I believe the course is fairly similar, potentially a different layout or learning styles used, but ultimately the subject remain the same (again, so I am told)

What was the schedule for Caledonia? Have you got a entry date for Raleigh?

Oh well welcome back buddy! Yeah phase 2a is 22weeks long at sultan and phase 2b is 26 weeks long thats whenwe can put our preference in for which aircraft you'd want to work on, also aet has the cross trade jobs so we also do aircraft handling, survival equipment, Basic firefighting and response and then being the Aet
Im hoping to get onto merlin mk2 as my preference but lynx/wildcat do sound pretty nice too!
The schedule for prnc was alright, fitness was tough but enjoyable, we had daily orders posted at the bottom of our stairwell that detailed what was going on on each particular day,
Lots of briefs and we had 4 pt evolutions, 1 on tuesday (we had 2.4k run @9ish am(only 2 people failed ours) 2 on Wednesday (swim test @11/12 then circuit training at faslane @3pm(everyone passed but was dead after circuits)) and final one on thursday (squad run(not just running might i add!! Be prepared for sprints, crab walks and bodyweight exercises inbetween))
My emtry date is 5th march for Raleigh, im looking forward to it tremendously

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Oh well welcome back buddy! Yeah phase 2a is 22weeks long at sultan and phase 2b is 26 weeks long thats whenwe can put our preference in for which aircraft you'd want to work on, also aet has the cross trade jobs so we also do aircraft handling, survival equipment, Basic firefighting and response and then being the Aet
Im hoping to get onto merlin mk2 as my preference but lynx/wildcat do sound pretty nice too!
The schedule for prnc was alright, fitness was tough but enjoyable, we had daily orders posted at the bottom of our stairwell that detailed what was going on on each particular day,
Lots of briefs and we had 4 pt evolutions, 1 on tuesday (we had 2.4k run @9ish am(only 2 people failed ours) 2 on Wednesday (swim test @11/12 then circuit training at faslane @3pm(everyone passed but was dead after circuits)) and final one on thursday (squad run(not just running might i add!! Be prepared for sprints, crab walks and bodyweight exercises inbetween))
My emtry date is 5th march for Raleigh, im looking forward to it tremendously

Ah sounds canny!!!

I have a friend who has just started her week 2 at Raleigh who mentioned a similar schedule for the PRNC haha!

I mainly do circuit type training at the moment, run twice per week (increasing to 3 times from this week) and I do 3 sets of 20 pressups each day minimum, (situps I am not too worried about)

Swimming test I am not really worried about as I am a confident swimmer, not a great fan of heights though so the 3m step off should be interesting ;)

I heard the PT session was....well to put it horrible haha and it's an introduction to IMF? (we didnt do IMF when I was in)

Ahhhh so the Sultan course has changed then. Although we did marshalling and some aircraft movement stuff on squadron, ultimately the handlers did most of it.

iipodgeii

Badgeman
Ah sounds canny!!!

I have a friend who has just started her week 2 at Raleigh who mentioned a similar schedule for the PRNC haha!

I mainly do circuit type training at the moment, run twice per week (increasing to 3 times from this week) and I do 3 sets of 20 pressups each day minimum, (situps I am not too worried about)

Swimming test I am not really worried about as I am a confident swimmer, not a great fan of heights though so the 3m step off should be interesting ;)

I heard the PT session was....well to put it horrible haha and it's an introduction to IMF? (we didnt do IMF when I was in)

Ahhhh so the Sultan course has changed then. Although we did marshalling and some aircraft movement stuff on squadron, ultimately the handlers did most of it.

In circuits make sure you are comfortable with atleast the following: press ups elbows tucked, tricep dips of a bench, standing lunge, wide arm press up, close hand press up, squats, squat jumps, burpees, sit ups, sit up twists, butterfly kicks and leg raises.

Not every circuit is the same you may very well do other movements but those were the ones given at faslane, running should be good you have people running with/against you so the competition is there ;) and all officers come out to watch, obviously the clubs warm up routines are questionable ;) as theyll def kick some people beforw the 2.4k even starts, the 2.4k run at caledonia is about 6.5 laps of paradae square.
Initial swim test is piss easy, but my advice dont race! Be quick but dont kill yourself cause straight after that you put ur ovies on and do the real one even if its only practise! 3m dive board feels like u fall for ever but its fine, you jump off in twos so that could help you overcome any worries you have!
And ofc the introduction to imf was enjoyable... one guy puked at ours but its because they do it literally straight after the 2.4k run

And we do do all the other trades work but we are taught it and expected to do and know bout other roles!

shinson

Lantern Swinger
In circuits make sure you are comfortable with atleast the following: press ups elbows tucked, tricep dips of a bench, standing lunge, wide arm press up, close hand press up, squats, squat jumps, burpees, sit ups, sit up twists, butterfly kicks and leg raises.

Not every circuit is the same you may very well do other movements but those were the ones given at faslane, running should be good you have people running with/against you so the competition is there ;) and all officers come out to watch, obviously the clubs warm up routines are questionable ;) as theyll def kick some people beforw the 2.4k even starts, the 2.4k run at caledonia is about 6.5 laps of paradae square.
Initial swim test is piss easy, but my advice dont race! Be quick but dont kill yourself cause straight after that you put ur ovies on and do the real one even if its only practise! 3m dive board feels like u fall for ever but its fine, you jump off in twos so that could help you overcome any worries you have!
And ofc the introduction to imf was enjoyable... one guy puked at ours but its because they do it literally straight after the 2.4k run

And we do do all the other trades work but we are taught it and expected to do and know bout other roles!

Ha! Sounds like....erm...fun!

Quite happy with those movements (similar stuff to what I do now, although I will be sure to make sure I am doing these movements as strict as possible)...but my god close hand press ups....DOH!

Yeah, thanks for the information! The way I am looking at it, is that when I get to Raleigh it means I am sort of used to IMF etc and have not had a break, whereas someone doing PRNC then 2 months later basic, they may not have been training to the same intensity as they did during IMF (does that make sense?? haha)

Just need to keep my head down really and make sure I pass, as I officially leave my current job on the 17th March.

iipodgeii

Badgeman
Hope i havent drowned you in info nice to see other AETS round here even if we will get called WAFU

LeadPencil

Badgeman

Sounds great!

If you fail the swim tests can they stop you joining?

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Hope i havent drowned you in info nice to see other AETS round here even if we will get called WAFU

Yes, get used to the WAFU thing haha!

No, however, I think I am starting to over think things abit now. Sat and read loads of the initial recruit diaries the other night. I need to just concentrate on my training, and trust that my body will be fine and I can nail this

iipodgeii

Badgeman
Sounds great!

If you fail the swim tests can they stop you joining?
Yes the pre entry swim test is only 50 metres in swimming trunks any stroke, every passed it in about 1min30 the other swim test in overalls is only required to pass at Raleigh but they still make you do it at PRNC to see if youre fit enough. You should be ok as its all technique only 1 person failed that bit but that doesnt mean a fail overall
Dont worry the only passes you need to get are run and first swim test, everything else is good attitude and effort! You can do, it mainly tests youre determination to continue even if you are getting tired

iipodgeii

Badgeman
Yes, get used to the WAFU thing haha!

No, however, I think I am starting to over think things abit now. Sat and read loads of the initial recruit diaries the other night. I need to just concentrate on my training, and trust that my body will be fine and I can nail this
Where doyou find these recruit diaries that i hear about? Im i being a pillick and just missing them by accident? Haha ive only ever found those recruit tips that people wish they knew before raleigh

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Where doyou find these recruit diaries that i hear about? Im i being a pillick and just missing them by accident? Haha ive only ever found those recruit tips that people wish they knew before raleigh

Ha! You can find them all here: https://royalnavytrainingdiaries.wordpress.com/

Some good information as to how people think or feel at various stages of the course and what you can expect (Wet and Dry for instance)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shinson PRNC Caledonia 20th March Joining the Royal Navy 8
S PRNC Current Affairs 3
T PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 9
C PRNC 15TH JUNE HMS COLLINGWOOD Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
J Prnc Mod Caldonia 11th May Has been cancelled Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J PRNC May 11th Mod Caladonia 2020 cancelled Joining the Royal Navy 3
J Twisted ankle! PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 9
S PRNC March 16th Joining the Royal Navy 19
Gematria Insoles at PRNC and Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Training for PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
E Beep test at the prnc and royal navy portal issues Joining the Royal Navy 2
T Caledonia - PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Just done PRNC and have joining date, but have doubts too Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
I PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
A 3x Sports Shorts PRNC Kit List Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 1
I PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
I PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 0
1 PRNC January 13th 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 3
J Prnc Joining the Royal Navy 8
SnowGoose PRNC Train tickets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MorganCUFC PRNC and HMS Raleigh dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Should I wait until PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D PRNC 2 December 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 13
D PRNC 2019 October Joining the Royal Navy 4
O RNAC(S)/ PRNC 21 October 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
J PRNC Coming up Joining the Royal Navy 3
R Do you have to do another Pass or Fail interview at the PRNC? Joining the Royal Navy 4
B PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
D PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
J PRNC South - 03rd June 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Stublurt PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S PRNC 1st April -HMS COLLINGWOOD Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Gor9819 PRNC Date/Start Date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S PRNC HMS Collingwood - 17th June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 48
L PRNC cancelled, straight to Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
LeedsBornLeedsBred MOD Caledonia - PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
B PRNC day by day Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
T Security clearance & PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
B Prnc breifing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 4
H Royal Navy PRNC - April 1st 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 48
Max9393 PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Quasar PRNC on the 25th of Feb in Portsmouth? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R PRNC 13th May 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
LeedsBornLeedsBred Question regarding 4K squad run at PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3