PRNC 15TH JUNE HMS COLLINGWOOD

Pats Nation

Midshipman
It’s just an extra 4 days of A/L I don’t have to try and take haha! They probably won’t bring them back for a few months yet but who knows!

CJC03

We all managed!
As stated, personal opinion.
And most of us on here joined straight from school, so how did we cope??
I think it's a waste of money too, personally.
Yeah I’m slightly nervous about Raleigh as I feel like I could be the youngest there. My start date at Raleigh is just 2 days after my 17th birthday and I was wondering if it is common these days for people to join straight from schooI (I applied just after finishing year 11 but have had to do a year at college due to the recruiting process taking so long)

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
Yeah I’m slightly nervous about Raleigh as I feel like I could be the youngest there. My start date at Raleigh is just 2 days after my 17th birthday and I was wondering if it is common these days for people to join straight from schooI (I applied just after finishing year 11 but have had to do a year at college due to the recruiting process taking so long)
Don't panic about being the youngest there, most people will be nervous starting something for the first time whether it's a new job or anything else if you haven't had any prior experience, look forward to it as a great new experience and enjoy the moment, you won't get that one again. I was 20 days after my 16th when I went to RAL so really no big deal - eyes open wide and do your best..

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I was 16 and 3 months old, and I loved it!
I didn't know anything different really. All I ever knew about was school (when I could be arsed to go) and my job on the market. Apart from that, I just thought it was a big club without mommy and daddy.

Dusty70

War Hero
I was 16 and 3 months old, and I loved it!
I didn't know anything different really. All I ever knew about was school (when I could be arsed to go) and my job on the market. Apart from that, I just thought it was a big club without mommy and daddy.
Amateurs......... I was 15 and 9 months when I joined at Raleigh

I am sure some ex- Ganges scuttlers will be on soon to say they were born there......................!!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Amateurs......... I was 15 and 9 months when I joined at Raleigh

I am sure some ex- Ganges scuttlers will be on soon to say they were born there......................!!!
Nah, I was 16 yrs and 10 months when I fell off the bus and through Ganges gate :)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think you escaped Ganges if you were over sixteen and a quarter on joining. I was advised to wait a couple of months, which I did so joined straight to Mercury. Still a JRO with cinderella leave etc. but treated more like an adult.

Stirlin

War Hero
I think you escaped Ganges if you were over sixteen and a quarter on joining. I was advised to wait a couple of months, which I did so joined straight to Mercury. Still a JRO with cinderella leave etc. but treated more like an adult.
6 months out mate , the cut off was 15 and 9 months , I '' missed '' Ganges by 9 days.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Back last year sometime they trialed not having PRNC . I'm only guessing but I imagine Raleigh give you your boots at the start of your course.
Boots issue is a thing.
As I understand it successful candidates at PRNC get their boots so that they can be worn in, to a degree. This is not for the sake of the boot, but for the feet of the candidate.

So many kids these days have never worn anything on their feet other than "trainers" that, when suddenly faces with Boot, RN, of any description, said feet get blisters and peeling skin at first contact.

Having boots to wear for a few weeks before entry thus starts (emphasis on starts) the feet to harden and get used to proper footwear. This period of acclimatisation then makes life easier for all concerned in the earlier part of the Raleigh course.

Again, all down to dropping standards in schools, I guess. Former generations had to wear leather shoes in school.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I have not seen or heard any specifics but as they have backtracked to holding the PRNCs again my guess is that it was not a successful experiment. Others may be able to supply more detail.
I'm just being inquisitive.
I'm a sprog to most, maybe all, on this website. I joined in '96.All I remember is getting a letter telling me to get to Raleigh on such and such day.
When in the new entry block, I was given two pairs of boots. A and B boots. A pair for parade and a pair for phys. Also, a shitload of kit to fit into a 3 ft locker.

crash_evans

War Hero
Bit of advice, train as if you are going to PRNC. If it doesn’t happen, ideal. You rock up to RAL super fit.

Plan for worst case, hope for the best.

If you don’t receive any comms prior to your RAL start date, give your AFCO a call periodically for a virtual cuddle and SITREP.

As has been said by many (including the sprog [mention]Alfacharlie [/mention] ) we all joined with no preemptive phys or kit. Often making for some cracking accordion style marching in New Entry. I did all right (sort of).

Maintain your enthusiasm, focus and passion and you will do ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jake K PASSED PRNC, Basic training starting 15th May. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
J Prnc Mod Caldonia 11th May Has been cancelled Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J PRNC May 11th Mod Caladonia 2020 cancelled Joining the Royal Navy 3
J Twisted ankle! PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 9
S PRNC March 16th Joining the Royal Navy 19
Gematria Insoles at PRNC and Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Training for PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
E Beep test at the prnc and royal navy portal issues Joining the Royal Navy 2
T Caledonia - PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Just done PRNC and have joining date, but have doubts too Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
I PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Acryph 3x Sports Shorts PRNC Kit List Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 1
I PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
I PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 0
1 PRNC January 13th 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 3
J Prnc Joining the Royal Navy 8
SnowGoose PRNC Train tickets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MorganCUFC PRNC and HMS Raleigh dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Should I wait until PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D PRNC 2 December 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 13
D PRNC 2019 October Joining the Royal Navy 4
O RNAC(S)/ PRNC 21 October 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
J PRNC Coming up Joining the Royal Navy 3
R Do you have to do another Pass or Fail interview at the PRNC? Joining the Royal Navy 4
B PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
D PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
J PRNC South - 03rd June 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Stublurt PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S PRNC 1st April -HMS COLLINGWOOD Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Gor9819 PRNC Date/Start Date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S PRNC HMS Collingwood - 17th June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 48
L PRNC cancelled, straight to Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
LeedsBornLeedsBred MOD Caledonia - PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
B PRNC day by day Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
T Security clearance & PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
B Prnc breifing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 4
H Royal Navy PRNC - April 1st 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 48
Max9393 PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Quasar PRNC on the 25th of Feb in Portsmouth? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R PRNC 13th May 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
LeedsBornLeedsBred Question regarding 4K squad run at PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
LeedsBornLeedsBred PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Pish Lads I’d like to ask about the swimming during the prnc , is done in 30 m pool ? and what do they consider as a fail during the swim test? Joining the Royal Navy 10
G PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 11