Privatisation of the RFA - Advantages?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by RB4851, May 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon guys.

I'm sure all of us are aware that due to cost cutting it is being debated whether the RFA could be privatised or not. I am currently trying to write a paper on whether the role of the RFA could be fully met by a civilian company. I can think of hundreds of reasons why it couldn't, but as I have to write an unbiased view I have to include the advantages of it being privatised. I am really struggling to find any advantages, especially strong ones, of the RFA being privatised. Although I'm sure most of you are against the privatisation, are there any ideas out there that may rule in favour of this move?

Many Thanks
  2. I can't see why the MOD has not thought about increasing the RN presence on an RFA ship. I mean we (the RN) come at a cheaper price than the average RFA sailor with regards to wages. There is also surplus amounts of Sailors sat shoreside with no sea drafts availible due to the shrinking size of the sea going fleet. Just a thought.
  3. I believe that has already been thought of. I read somewhere that in order to man one of the RFA's, can't remember exactly which one they used as an example, that over 200 matelots would be needed, however it is only manned with about 80 RFA personnel. I dont quite see how this works, but IF this is the case, then this would not be a feasible advantage as even at cheaper pay, the greater numbers negate this.
  4. The manpower issue is proberly due to the fact that a study was carried out using an old model of Scheme Of Compliment on an older ship. Where many stokers/seaman were needed to operate manualy intensive equipment. But these days technolgy can ease the manpower requirement. Its proberly also to do with the whole SSEP/Duty Watch numbers required. It has always amazed me how an RFA can operate on the same tasking. Such as RFA Bay class and LPD can do the same tasking, however LPD has over 200+ crew and Bay class has 60
  5. What would more RN do onboard? Where would they live?

RN aren't cheaper - the RFA continues to exist as a civilian manned service primarily because of its lower personnel costs.
  6. I'm unsure of the figures involved, but bear in mind that the cost of Armed Forces personnel isn't limited to just wages. Do the RFA provide medical/dental and other care to their employees like the RN do?
  7. I mean they could reduce the the RFA manpower and increase the RN presence.

Below are the RFA Deck Department Rates of Pay for 2007 (Compare this to pay bands for RN 2010)
    CPO Deck starts at 31055 and aftre 2 years are on £33191.
    PO Deck starts at £28498 and after 2 years are on £29309.
    Leading Hand Deck have a pay rate of £24835.
    SG1A have a pay rate of £23664
    SG1B have a pay rate of £21662.
    SGII deck ratings start at £15505 and after 2 years are on £19702.
    Adult Trainee Deck Ratings begin at £15505 and after 2 years are on £19702.

The AB RFA earn more than RN AB this is where the savings could be made
  8. To add to the value chain the RFA should further integrate with the RN. To outsource this to a 'logistical service provider' (e.g SERCO) is a no-brainer and will ultimately cost more in the long run. Look what happened when the Govt sold of British Rail, Gas, electricity, coal, steel etc etc need I go on...

Thoughts of privatising the RFA is a bit like saying can you see the Emperors new cloths - if you can't see it your stupid.

Good luck with your paper but as you point out there aren't any good reasons to outsource so just report that fact.
  9. RB

You stink of journalist.
  10. Stink of journalist? Hmm maybe your nose needs a good blowing. I am infact in the Navy myself and currently doing SSMC which is why I am needing the info in order to write my submission. Thanks for all the other posts so far though guys, all points to keep in mind. Like you say though, there are very few advantages to it which is proving a nightmare for me trying to evaluate both sides unbiasedly!
  11. An RN AB is not equal to an RFA AB for the same task and cannot replace an RFA AB on a 1 for 1 basis. Consider that the average age in the RFA is about 40, with a correspondent average experience of 20 years at sea. Many RFA "ABs" are former RN senior rates, Army NCOs, Merchant Navy bosuns, etc. or have simply been MN deck hands for a long, long time.

And besides the lower apparent salary, it's likely that the cost of employment for the RN AB is still higher, as also mentioned by Toucan.

Sticking RN bods on RFAs to replace RFA personnel is a fantasy.

Except maybe for the Comms department. ;)
  12. In what areas would you suggest further integration would bring improved value?
  13. Not a goer for comms anymore, as I am led to believe RN comms no longer do bridge work ie fleetwork and flashing light
  14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

'Firther integration into the RN' ?????????? The whole point of having a civilian RFA is that it's cheaper than running its tasks as an RN operation. That's why we do it the RFA way in the first place.
  15. I think a huge crack for you to stick your crowbar in for your argument would be the lack of demonstrable and practical accountability to the taxpayer/beneficiary/stakeholder of the numerous other privatisation projects.

Identify and transpose at will.