Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prisons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by slim, Oct 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Give prisoners early release

100.0%
  2. Build more prisons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The government are always harping on about the prisons being too full.
    They then expect us to greet with open arms the decision to release prisoners early.
    This from the government who promised us law & order.
    Time spent in prison is too short anyway with time off for good behavior
    So what are you for
    1. Early Release
    2. Building more prisons

2. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to realise that as the population increases we are going to need more prisons.

3. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Or less prisons if they bring back hanging.

4. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Prison barges or converted derelict old rigs in the north sea, they'd be safe out there and out of our way.
    Chain gangs would be nice too, get the fcukers working on the roads or something similar.

5. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

You could then use the Barges and Oil Rigs for Naval gunnery practice...two birds ...one stone!

6. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Give that man a cigar, now we are making progress..

7. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

The Romans put the baddies in the mines for mercury and the inhalation of mercury fumes killed 'em pretty quick.Although this is no longer an option a more appropriate system can be seen on this web site http://www.crime-times.org/subj.htm. This deals with cause rather than effect for anyone interested in this area, rehabilitation. Importantly what is being done now isn't working so an entirely new approach is needed and the above web site provides possible answers

8)

8. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Before starting this I would like to say that my answer to the poll is build more prisons, but tempered by what I have to say. Prison as it stands is not working and is not providing value for money. The fundametal purpose is to bth punish the criminal by depriving them of their liberty and to give the public some protection by keeping dangerous people of the streets for some period. These it does quite well, but in the third role of prisons that is to encourage the inmates that not offending again is a good idea it fails miserably.

WE need a fundamental review about how we both punish offenders, and equally how we discourage them from offending again, and we must do this with some level of humanity, as without humanity we will both fail and bring ourselves down to their level, which is somewhere I would prefer not to be.

So we need the punishment bit, and certainly for the more dangerous elements we need the protection of the public bit (and when one considers that some one who steals big money will get a worse jail sentence than some one who commits GBH perhaps we havent go the balance right here yet) we really have to do something about persuading criminals that not being a criminal is better. Until we do that better and especially with the Yobs, Chavs and general youe ne'er do wells, we will only see things get worse not better.

Peter

PS Hanging isn't the answer either because the vast majority of the people we need to deal with will never be hung, unless of course you introduce the death penalty for some pretty minor crimes

9. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

[quote="Maxi_
    Hanging isn't the answer either because the vast majority of the people we need to deal with will never be hung, unless of course you introduce the death penalty for some pretty minor crimes[/quote]

I agree - hanging is not the answer, but not to have it in the punishment "armoury" means that those who murder for its own sake know that they will never have to face this ultimate punishment. This is patently ludicrous.

Building more prisons is probably not the answer, either. What is probably needed is to demolish all the old ones, so that the proper modern mod-cons can be provided, although there is absolutely no need for this in Scotland, as you have a perfectly serviceable, large, new building at the bottom of the Royal Mile that has cost billions to build and which looks like a prison to the casual observer(!)

10. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Build more prisons preferably in the Outer Hebrides.....that way making it less tempting for them to go walkabout as well...!!

Fully agree with Chain gangs as well..lets get them doing something useful....lets face it there's plenty of shit jobs that need doing on the cheap... Why pay employ low cost/wage employees i.e. Romanians/Poles?Czech's etc when we have a completely free labour force available...!!

I wouldnt mind seeing a chain gang clearing up the local cemetery for example rather than leaving it in the jungle like state the local council seems to feel is acceptable!!

11. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Oh and as for hanging...Im not really bothered about the moral aspect of thoust shall not kill and the immoral use of the death penalty..is it a deterrent etc...It just makes me sick that I have to pay taxes to keep shitheads in prison when they are likley to pose no current of future useful purpose to society

i.e how much money was spent on Myra Hindley over her prison term..was it money well spent.....no the long drop to the end of a rope would have been far more cost effective!!

12. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

13. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

I have this tiny suspicion that the present residents would object to you using their islands as a dumping ground for your human detritis, perhaps the Scilly isles would be more appropiate.

Peter

14. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

As long as prison remains a soft option people will return.
    bring back ,hanging, flogging & hard labour. Take away televisions and playstations. Make life so unbearable that no sane minded person will ever return

15. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Nah. We should set up a new penal colony. Somewhere separated from the UK by a good few miles of water, somewhere that's already a stinking cesspit of human detritus......hmmm let me think. How 'bout France!!

Seriously though, as already pointed out, most prisons were built by Victorians are were used to hold a lot more prisoners than they do now. Population of the UK has probably quadrupled since then, and it stands to reason that the number of criminals will have increased by a similar level, or more in fact due to the complete break down of law, order and respect in this country. I personally believe prisoners should be locked up and should complete their whole sentence - none of this parole "for good behaviour" crap.

Simple fact is punishment works better than mollycoddling. For example, at school the threat of corporal punishment was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow. Now kids know that no-one can really touch them as it's "an abuse of their human rights". Said kids grow up with no respect for authority and thinking - sorry, knowing - they can almost literally get away with murder. If potential criminals know they will DEFINITELY spend 5, 10 or life behind bars, they are less likely to offend.

Disagree if you like, but all ya gotta do is think back to when you were a kid and were likely to get a clip round the ear from your teachers, the local bobby and your parents( if you're old enough to recall those days like me) - didn't it make you think twice??

16. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

ok i agree we cant send they all to the scottish islands as when the jocks get their independace that they are always on about we will have a flood of criminal illegal immegrants on there way to good ole blightey. So I propose the isle of wight but not only as a prison but also a holding zone for illegal immigrants therefore killing two birds with one stone. as no one will risk it if they had to share there tents with criminals and not receive benefits

17. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

What about Tristan Da Cunha?

18. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

Leave Tristan out of this; Rockall would be better! After you get the first half dozen on they'll start sliding into the sea - life will probably mean a something like ten minutes - cost effective you just got to get them there, no return trip no food or water Yep it gets better! Film it! after the 'News' shows the first half dozen little scroats gasping their last few minutes the rest will be clamouring to be good little children!

Oh sorry didums does it ofend your 'uman rights? what about the old woman you beat to death for £5 and a laugh! get swimming!

19. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

The 'vote' is missing section three -

terminate a few - like anyone (everyone?) over ten years

20. Re: Prisons too full? release prisoners or build more prison

For the little thugs. I say bring back corporal punishment in front of their own peers (the thought of crying in front of their mates would be mortifying for them). Bet the little buggers would soon get the message.