Prison Ships in the news

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by function, Oct 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see the debate about the need for prison ships has arisen again. Most of the pictures I've seen so far are of HMP Weare which was moored in Portland dockyard.
    I spent about 5 months on it when it was the Bibby Constellation or Coastel 3 in Port Stanley harbour in 1986 and very comfy it was too....much better than being on a war canoe at the time !
    We in the Naval Party (1242 i think it was) had our own deck away from the Pongoes ! Origninally built for the offfshore oil industry I think, I was surprised to see it still going

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Its still moored at Portland, they emptied it out some months back, and I think sold it. Whats the betting now that the Government will now rent it back at a vastly inflated rate, having sold it to some cronies for next to nothing

3. Yes its still at Portland, i have heard that it is going back in use as an accommadation ship for the Oil Industry, i first came across the Coastel when i was with Delta Company 40 Cdo RM IN 1983, she was berthed near Port Stanley airport, we, however were at Nav Point in portacabins. Happy Days?????

4. Anyone know what happened to the 'Maidstone' ?
    I was one of the Dusty team (of three) who were destoring her in Chatham in the late 70s, only to have a panic in restoring her again for sending to Belfast as a prison ship (or so we were told) - is she still being used as such?

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A Bibby Barge was used a couple of years ago in 2 Basin when the new accommodation blocks in HMS Nelson were being built. I actually thought it was quite smart, considering the circumstances. Mind you, as usual, some matelots seemed to think that it was the God-given right to trash the place... 8O

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Maidstone was broken up in the late 1970's.

7. Just as a means of deterrent, couldn't they be filled with reprobates, towed out to mid-Atlantic, targets mounted on the superstructure, and used for target practise?

No direct hits allowed, otherwise somone might get hurt!

Don't you think that this might reduce the prison population, as maybe the criminals might think twice?

OSD

8. What about using that island in Scotland they used for Anthrax tests?Fresh air and wide spaces for them while taking part in an experiment.

9. theres plenty of ships in pompeii harbour they could use, But then again the criminals would think that 24 men in one room was ove crowded, ok for jack but not for the crims.:-@

10. I think i may have mentioned this before. Yes by all means use ships as prisons.....but why not save money as well by using them for ship to ship missile testing as well!!??

11. Can't do that! Someone might get hurt and call his lawyers! :wink:

OSD

12. Hmmm.....Lawyer ships......just a thought!