Printer

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by janner, Sep 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

At present I am using an Epson 405 printer which has started playing up, I've started looking at various brands for a replacement, Epson seem to be hot on ink especially when changing cartridges, any suggestions for a replacement?

2. If you're not printing colour images and you just want a monochrome document printer then something like a Samsung ML1660 is very good for about £40. You will forget the last time you filled it with ink as it hardly uses any toner.

If it's for colour prints etc., then HP Photosmart series is very good. Initial outlay quite steep but the ink isn't too bad.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I find that the cheapest option is to email it to yourself at work, then print it from the office printer. Better quality and it makes everyone think you're really busy or important... :twisted:

4. janner

You've just spotted one of the disadvantages of retirement

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Aah, I see. Check your wifi network to see if any of your obliging (and naive) neighbours has a wireless printer within range... :lol:

6. I have an HP 3 in 1 that does OK, the photocopier bit is handy especially for official stuff when copies of certificates etc are required (or evidence if necessary)

7. What features do you really need? What do you print currently, and what would you like to print, is it mainly photos or b&w documents? Do you burn your own CDs/DVDs, and if so, have you considered a printer which will print images directly onto the disc?

8. I particularly enjoy sending "You are a [email protected]" in big letters to various network printers :):):)

On a serious not, the Kodak printers look a good bet as the ink is very cheap

9. Kodaks are OK and the ink is cheap but they use a tri-colour cartridge.
    This afternoon I bought (for the bosses computer) an HP Photosmart EA10 W, wireless with scan and copy, which uses 3 separate colour cartridges (cheaper if you buy the XL type), from Currys/PC World for £39 + £8 for 3 year instant replacement guarantee.

10. janner

Mainly pics and b&w docs, though the scanner is also handy. Nothing wrong with the print quality with Epson its more a question of how other printers compare. I've spent a lot of time over the last couple of days trying to fully clear the black print nozzle, it will only print properly using the photo option at the moment. Just got some cleaning fluid and that hasn't helped either. What I don't want to do is go away from Epson if other options are no better. Also don't want to go down the two cartridge route (black/colour) present model uses four which seems to be the cheaper option.