Prince Henry?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by stillholding, Jun 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Henry is his real name, or so I've heard.
  2. According to 'The Tudors' (which I don't just watch for the sex scenes :roll: ) Henry VIII was sometimes known (by his friends) as Harry.

I've no idea if that has anything to do with this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. 8)
  3. Both William and Harry hold the title of Prince of Wales. Harry, as he is known, was christened Henry Charles Albert David Windsor.

It is nice to see both William and Harry showing their support for our serving/ex-serving members of the Armed Forces, and other associated groups.

The general public are also showing their support - there are many messages of support being posted on the official Armed Forces Day website.

27th June 2009 is the first British Armed Forces Day - may there be many, many more in the future.

4. I stand corrected. Every day is a school day
  5. And the mediaeval diminutive of Harry, of course, is 'Hal' as with, for example, Prince Hal of Shakespeare's King Henry IV, Part 1.
  6. The permutations of these Germanic names are very interesting indeed. :)
  7. You know, I do believe thar PG Woodhouse's Gussie Fink-Nottle was of German extraction.
  8. Ach mein Gott!! There was I thinking it was Gaelic for 'The Stag', could be time for a change me thinks. :)
  9. Pedant mode on, correct in that they are styled Prince William and Henry of Wales as opposed to Charles, [The] Prince of Wales. There can only be one see boyo!

10. Hmm, should I bite? ...

In my post I stated that both William and Harry hold the title of Prince of Wales, not that they were THE Prince of Wales.

The official title for Harry is: His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales. Styled it may be, but that is his title.

11. Bite away, they don't :wink:

His Royal Highness Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales

His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales

This may appear a sutble difference but it is a difference. On a RN oriented site one should take care to be precise, particulary as Harry is Commodore-in-Chief of Small Ships and Diving and Bill holds a commission as a Naval officer, don't you agree? :lol:

12. IMD,

Do you cut currants in half before throwing them into the cake mix? :lol:

I do understand where you're coming from, and I agree with you, quote from the link you provided:-

The Prince of Wales
    The Prince of Wales is a title created for the male Heir to The Throne. There is no automatic succession to this title, but it is normally passed on when the existing Prince of Wales accedes to the throne. The title becomes merged in the Crown and is renewed only by the Sovereign's pleasure.

His Royal Highness Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales

His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales.

However, ( like his brother Prince William of Wales) at present, Harry holds the title of His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales (in name only due to him not being the direct Heir to the throne - if you prefer). This title was used on the Armed Forces Day website which prompted the making of this thread in the first place. :wink:

Sweetpea. x
  13. No but I often go for a hair split at the barbers. Besides, one should never throw ingredients into the mix. Always place them carefully, with love, surely you've seen the cabbage mechanics at work!