Prince Harry To Present Medals To MCMV Personnel

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Mar 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Prince Harry Presents Medals To MCMV Personnel

Press Association:

"Prince Harry is to present service medals to Royal Navy counter mine personnel.

In his role as Commodore-In-Chief, Small Ships and Diving, he will present the medals to members of the First and Second Mine Countermeasures Squadrons (MCM1 and MCM2) to mark their service in Iraq.

The prince will also be given a tour of a minehunter and meet groups of naval personnel and their families at Portsmouth Naval Base.

The Telic Operational Medal will be presented to the returning ships' companies of HMS Grimsby, HMS Middleton and HMS Shoreham, as well as the deployed Mine Warfare Battle Staff.

The staff and ships of MCM1 and MCM2 can act as part of a deployed operational force, or represent British interests within a Nato force.

Alternatively they can operate in UK waters ensuring that ordnance remaining from the world wars is safely disposed of.

During his visit, Harry will also tour the Mary Rose Museum. He will take part in a ceremony laying a foundation stone for a new museum to house the Tudor warship and its artefacts.

The ceremony will see pupils from Haslemere Preparatory School hand over their 2011 time capsule of eight items to be buried in the floor of the new museum.

Built between 1509 and 1511, the Mary Rose was one of the first ships able to fire a broadside, and was a firm favourite of King Henry VIII.

The Mary Rose Trust has received a £21 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to complete the £35 million project for the conservation of the hull and to build the permanent museum which is to open next year."
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011