Prince Harry to Iraq?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BootneckYank, Feb 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I wish him luck too................... but I wish his mates and the rest of his unit just as much if not more! Whilst I fully agree as a serving soldier he should go to wherever his job needs him, I don't think it appropriate in this case to publicise the event. If true, the press and possibly Mr Browne are about to set up the most sought after target outside of Bisley, every crazed lunatic who thinks he is a sniper or bombmaker is going to target his Highness' unit. There should have been a 'D' notice planted firmly onto this story until the end of his tour.

I am disgusted that the press would even pursue this and some of the idiots at the top need a bloody firm bollocking for trying to push the Army into the limelight by revealing the movements of an Heir to the throne................... irresponsibly stupid!
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

From BY's link.

Officer or official or a figment of a journalist's imagination?

Agree with chieftiff. Speculation in the media and elsewhere is bone. If true I'd be interested to hear what if anything SoS has to say by way of justification if he makes an announcement to

OPSEC and PERSEC applies to this topic as never before.
  3. Just to float a conspiracy theory, what if the "fact" that he is to go to Iraq with his regiment has been leaked so that the resulting publicity ensures that he doesn't go? Mr B wouldn't want a Prince of the Blood Royal killed in his little war would he now?
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Or the double bluff: we don't want to send him, so if we say we will, and tell them when, then they will reveal it and we will have to stop it to protect the Prince!

I don't honestly know but the next time I want to hear about it is when I see it reported on the BBC that the Prince has just returned from Iraq with the rest of his unit all safe and sound.
  5. I agree with Chieftiff....the only time I want to here about that prat in the Army is when he is ,and his Troop are back.
    The sainted Tony does not care who gets killed in his war,as long as its not his kids,at least HRH has had the guts to stand up and join up,knowing he would end up doing a turn in one of the trouble spots.
  6. It was very well publicised during the Falklands war that Prince Andrew was sailing with the Task Force. From what I have read since, he did do proper operational sorties and gave a good account of himself. No reason why Harry shouldn't do the same.
  7. totally agree with Mophead (and the tiff) on this one Mr B. Liar don't give a monkeys about anyone on this one (except himself) he'd even sacrifice his own (if Gimme Gimme would allow it) as long as HE don't have to! Now for god's sake shut up until Harry and his unit are back home All done and dusted!.......And all OK - Oh yes and bring everybody else with you - they are all somebodies sons and daughters!
  8. At least his troop will have proper kit,and fully functional gear. Bit embarrasing :oops: if Beeb pop in for Photo Ops and Ginges Tankee thingee don't work :wink: .
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Prince Harry is a serving soldier. Keep the usual tabloid pish out of this thread......Lingyai.

Polaroid, sliverfox and Jimmy Green; Lingyai did not quote a tabloid or any other newspaper. The 'tabloid pish' to which I refer is discredited urban myth and has nothing to do with this topic. Lingyai's post was removed. Nothing to do with the quality of reporting in the tabloids. Quote away, on topic.

Your posts have been removed only in order to keep the thread (as far as possible) on topic.
  10. Well if he is going, I think that it's a 'good' thing generally speaking, even though he will be a bullet magnet for everyone around him.

We have a long history of our royals serving in the forces, and I think it adds to their credibility especially in this day and age. Admittedly him and his brother should have joined the Navy but perhaps I'm biased....

Anyway, being called Prince Harry will give him loads of opportunity for Shakespearean type quotes.
  11. I wonder what the impact of Harry coming home moaning about poor equipment etc would be....especially if he moans to daddy and granny and daddy & granny start wading in!!..... :evil: :evil:
  12. it is good to see the royals doing there bit it is just a shame that the rest of the goverment has not done it, how many in goverment have done any service :shock:
  13. I think it`s good that the Royals are as you said "doing there bit" I think that (and I don`t want to sound like sid the sexist on this one) all male Royals should get on the front line and do their bit. Good on ya Harry. Am I right in sayng that the last Royal to go out and actually go to a conflict was Prince Andrew in the Falklands? I know he did a bit of Helicopter flying for the SBS. Correct me if I`m wrong I was only 1 year old when the Falklands conflict kicked off.
  14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah, he was in a bunker (on the 11th hole, I believe...) :wink:
  15. touche.
  16. It did say he would be serving alongside special forces
    Is that the six sas solidiers who will be protecting him? :)
  17. IMHO if he does go then he won't go on patrol but rather act as a bag-carrier to some staff officer in some relatively safe place in Basrah Air Station or something.

The last thing his boys need is being lead by Target No 1 out there.
  18. I hazard a guess that he wouldn't care a jot at all if this happened, as he doesn't really care what anyone thinks or says - rather a bit like a chappie from 1945 who went by the name of 'Grofaz' (behind his back) !