Prince Charles & Chelsea Barracks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Jun 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News Full Story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8102617.stm

The architect Lord Rogers has said he believes Prince Charles has broken the "constitutional understanding" governing the role of the monarchy.

It's my opinion that Charles should keep his snout out and not use his accident of birth to interfere. It is also my opinion when it comes to carbuncles that he is one on the face of a modern democracy.

2. Prince Charles was right, the design is completely out of character.
    Lord Rodgers should bend over and take his punishment like a lord.

3. Well up to a point. I think that this story actually says rather more about the vested interest and entrenched prejudice of the modern architecture mafia.

The noble Lord's latest execresence is entirely inappropriate for the location, being both taller, and more intrusive (if that were possible) on its surroundings than the godawful hell hole that I once had the misfortune of being accommodated in for 2 nights that it replaces.

I think that Charlie has undoubtedly pushed his luck, but also stood up for the wishes of the locals who've been up in arms about this proposal from the beginning- and who have been wilfully ignored by the farce of a planning process and the infatuation of the previous Mayor Ken (who green lighted it) with "iconic" architecture.

For a comprehensive debunking of what's been going on in Chelsea see Piloti in, as they say, Eyes passim.

4. Agreed. On both parts.

5. Yeah mate HRH is spot on.....

6. I think that Charlie has undoubtedly pushed his luck, but also stood up for the wishes of the locals who've been up in arms about this proposal from the beginning- and who have been wilfully ignored by the farce of a planning process and the infatuation of the previous Mayor Ken (who green lighted it) with "iconic" architecture.

I think he should realy keep his nose out of things that dont concern him .If he were an architect well i would say yes .But he is shoving his own personal beliefs and and persuasions on other people .just like his GM thing and a lot of his other quirks he has

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Why? If doesn't stop the armchair critics gobbing off about things they know diddly squat about here in RR!! 8O

HRH has an opinion on a matter of interest to him; he is merely advocating his democratic right to freedom of speech, a luxury afforded him by the very virtues this country has been known for since his family began ruling... and I am not a Royalist, by any stretch of the imagination.

8. I think the planned modern development looks splendid and that it will enhance the whole area. Where this matter is concerned he should stay at home and do something useful like counting his unearned millions.

9. I know what I like just as Charlie does but my opinions will make not a jot of difference and I pay all the taxes applicable to my earnings, consequently my opinion should have more sway than his but it doesn’t.

10. Yes but it is not right when hr uses is position to sway people ways (which he does it has been proven).I do nor agree with GM food .But i do not go around sying people should not eat .I can thinkm of other people who do the self same ything .So i am not just havinfg a pop at him .The mcarneys come to mind for two all done to promote veggie .I folow my beliefs but dont go saying others should

11. Charles Prince Rogers Lord

Actually, that’s what the Thread would have been titled (see, even humble Threads can be titled) had not Comrade Finknottle beaten me to it. Mine, of course, would have been on a reciprocal track.

Personally, I think Dickie Rogers is being remarkably churlish and clearly has little regard for Royal privilege even though he clearly basks in those honours it has bestowed upon him. Will he now be relinquishing his Knighthood, Life Peerage and his recently acquired Order of the Companions of Honour? Well probably not as he will contrive some noble argument against being so discourteous and, err, churlish. Better by far to question the authority of Royalty.

The man’s a blatant prima donna who feels that only fellow architects are worthy of criticising his work. HRH the PoW is not of that trade but does seem to recognise good taste when he sees it. Even that simple point, of course, is probably a matter of opinion.

12. Lord R is only in it for the Sovs

13. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Good on HRH. If it weren't for people like him who have no fear of challenging the powers that be, some of the Planning decisions that would have been been bulldozed through by the Ass licking Planning committees, have been called into question. If the people who live in the vicinity of the proposed development do not like the plans why aren't the 'planners' listening to them? Power to the people, and HRH, for saying whats needed to be said. Everything doesn't revolve around certain architects trying to collect more prizes, issued by their own kind, for questionable self aggrandisement.

14. I was with HRH way back in the "Monstrous Carbuncle" days. I think his development at Dorchester is magnificent and I think that Lord Rogers and all the other twats who design things that just don't fit in with their surroundings should just do what they're paid for and no more.

IMHO Chelsea Barracks and Hospital should have been kept in public ownership and used for the accommodation and treatment of injured Servicemen and veterans, keeping the Pensioners in their places, of course.

15. Well done Charles for reflecting the feelings of the majority of the people. He's one of the few untarnished national figures with sufficient influence to prevent such monstrous but ephemeral testaments to the bullying nature of big business.

16. Untarnished! I nearly fell off my swivel chair :lol: Or have we forgotten the despicable way he treated his first wife.

17. Methinks that was a 2 way street Fink, or one of the heirs wouldn't look so much like AN Other!

18. Whatever do you mean? :lol: