Previous history of Migraines- no chance of aircrew?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by r620521, Apr 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm interested in joining the RN as a pilot but have a history of migraines as a child (haven't had one for 12 years). Does this rule me out of aircrew selection or has anyone in a similar situation been successful. They allow those with a history of asthma join if they've been clear for years, is it the same for migraines?

Thanks in advance.

2. The guy at my AFCO said any previous Asthma ruled you out for Aircrew.

No idea about Migraines.

3. One thing's for certain mate, if you get a migraine whilst flying a plane, helo etc, god help you and your crew....

4. I understand that but its something I've grown out of. The army will allow you to lead 30 guys on operations under testing and stressful conditions with a history of migraines, as long as the problem has gone and isn't current. This seems like a sensible and logical approach, does the RN share this view point? So has anyone been in a similar situation to myself and passed?

Thanks again

5. Can't think of many Pongo's leading 30 men at the controls of a chopper or fast jet.

As ex aircrew, I wouldn't want to fly with you. Bad enough when 100% fit and healthy.

Anyway, ask a aviation qualified doctor who will give you a correct prognosis of your flying career.

6. You get a migraine in a Mk4 mate and you'll be told to "stop drippin'.....Sir"

7. The afghan: Spot on mate, spot on....