Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Previous broken bones, can they stop me getting in?

Kitch22

Midshipman
Hi all,

I have recently applied to join the Royal Navy and have had my interview which was successful. Next, is my medical triage and assessment, however with me being involved with a lot of sports as a kid, mainly rugby I have had a few injuries, including;
Broken ankle,
Broken thumb,
Broken wrist,
Dislocated shoulder.

Since these injuries some of them being almost 10 years ago I have made full recoveries from all and it has never hindered me in the slightest and I still play rugby now. I have no metal or fixations in place as a result of these injuries (Pins, screws or plates etc...). I was just wondering if any of you have any information as to whether I would be successful in the medical part of the application or if these may hinder me at all?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards.

Pats Nation

Badgeman
As long as you are honest and you can back up through your GP that your previous injuries do not cause you any issues today you will be fine.

It will just take a while to prove this through the GP and Capita. You will probably be TMU’d (Temporarily Medically Unfit) then have to appeal by providing evidence to back up your claims. It took me 6 months to prove I was fit, I’ve also broken bones and had all sorts of injuries.

Best of luck with your application, be sure to update us as it proves useful to future candidates. Also use the Search function as many before you have appealed a TMU decision and been successful.

Have a read of this..

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS 26-year bans after father & son flout previous disqualifications MoD News 0
I Previous mental health records. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Chances of passing my medical?: previous mental health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Application for Navy Medical Officer. Previous back pain/sciatica. Joining the Royal Navy 40
U Being fired in a previous job Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
K How do I continue with a previous application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J Joining with previous military service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
W TMO and previous service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W new guy looking for some advice & opinions about previous experience for SG2 role RFA 9
JonnyAlpha Attempting to Join RMR but need help locating previous service record RMR 4
Muppet89 Not eligible to reapply due to previous discharge...appeal?! Health & Fitness 10
miffta rmr upper age limit... does previous service include training? RMR 3
B Joining RN with previous experiance? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Previous Defence Reviews & Cuts Diamond Lil's 2
B Question about joining RNR with previous army med discharge Health & Fitness 5
R Previous history of Migraines- no chance of aircrew? The Fleet Air Arm 6
lamrtn 'Previous Service' - Pension Finance & Pensions 4
A Previous lives Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Press release: James Brokenshire announces overhaul of broken housing complaints system MoD News 0
C Royal Navy medical, Broken hand, problem? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Broken bones and metal plates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
trelawney126 Broken waters in Devon The Gash Barge 4
T Broken Back Health & Fitness 18
T 'Queen concerned that United Kingdom will be broken up' Current Affairs 15
Good CO Short term broken forum links - known issue Site Issues 0
P Broken leg Health & Fitness 5
S Broken Resolve Diamond Lil's 2
T Broken linky in site menu to donations Site Issues 1
sgtpepperband Broken Britain: "Patience of a saint" Current Affairs 21
M Broken Hand Fter falling from bike Health & Fitness 7
G Broken hand Health & Fitness 7
L Broken toe.......Gutted Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
_Tim_ I had a broken ankle Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
S Disarming Britain & Kids, Knives and Broken Lives Current Affairs 7
T More government promises broken to PTSD Veterans Current Affairs 0
SILVER_FOX HAS THE MILITARY COVENANT BEEN BROKEN? Current Affairs 1
rosinacarley Broken Military Covenant Current Affairs 19
golden_rivet I'm broken hearted The Quarterdeck 3
PartTimePongo Blair will leave Brown to pick up the pieces in broken Iraq Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Government backs 3D X-ray technology to capture images of diseased bones in 40 seconds MoD News 0
T A daily beer can help your bones & stop osteoporosis...... Diamond Lil's 2
rod-gearing On the bones of your arse Diamond Lil's 16