Press ups standards during phase one training

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by JJ1, Apr 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JJ1

JJ1

Just a quick question about pressups during phase one training, do they have to be chest touching the floor, or chest touching a partners fist? Its just that it makes quite a big difference to how many i can do without stopping. Thanks in advance for any info

2. I'm sorry but I fail to see the difference. It must only only be a couple of inches to the floor without someones fist in the way.

3. Aye maybe 3inches at most unless your fists are like king kongs :)

4. So you fail to see the difference, while stating that the difference is a couple of inches.

I'm sure that for someone who's fit enough to enter as a diver, the way push-ups are performed is irrelevant, but for those in the process of getting fit enough to join, the differences in styles of push-up matter a lot.

Still, you've no doubt encouraged a swathe of wagon-jumpers to hop on, to try and make the OP look like a tit.

5. More spoon feeding of the trolls !

6. Practice doing slow press-ups with perfect form; i.e start from the down position, arms shoulder distance apart, head looking forward. Push up, and lower to just beyond a 90 degree bend in the arm, pause then push back up. Any rest you take you need to restart from the down position.

If you can do 50 perfectly and slowly in 2 minutes, then any slack the PTIs allow in form you will benefit from.

7. Fist on the floor at Raleigh and done to a slow beep. Its not really slow, but slower than just banging them out as fast as you can. Get a dumbell the same height as your fist and use that to practice with. Make sure its lined up with your chest.

8. Isn't it about a four second count between up then down? or am i mistaken?

9. Four seconds? Sounds too long when you think about it, but could be. It felt more like two, not that this test is hard. Same as the 2.4k. Everyone should be doing the minimum and more by that stage. Just make sure everytime you do them its with perfect form and you go down to the required height.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  10. quite right!!