Press Ups/Sit Ups

#1
I know that this can probably go in the health and fitness section, but its a newbie question as well so...

I read on the Navy website that potential new recruits need to be able to do at least 39 sit ups and 20 press ups, with two minutes given to complete each set. I've just done as many press ups and sit ups as I can and find these targets incredibly easy to achieve. I'm not really that fit and I achieved the minimum standards within one minute of starting out, which gives me the impression that I have missed the point somewhere along the line; have I got the standards right? The ones I found are for a 16 year old recruit and I'm 20, but still the standards don't seem particularly high even if they are a bit stricter for my age group.

Link to the RN standards that I found - http://www.careers.royalnavy.mod.uk/pdf/speed_testsheet_v2.pdf

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
 
#3
also, banging out 20 press ups in quick time is relatively easy, it's made marginally more difficult by having to do them in time with a beep.

still very very straightforward though.
 

Elsi

Midshipman
#5
Is there any tips for people like myself who aren't the best at pressups?

Perhaps improve your upperbody strength or keep practising?

Cheers
 
#10
Elsi said:
Is there any tips for people like myself who aren't the best at pressups?

Perhaps improve your upperbody strength or keep practising?

Cheers
Press ups are the asame as making the beast with two backs with your old lady so just keep practisng.

I've just noticed where you are writing from, so for old lady read sheep, but keep practisng anyway.
 
#12
Elsi when I went for my first medical around 2 months ago I managed 3 press-ups. This was due to an op and I didn’t use my upper body for 3+months. The AFCO told me to come back for another medical and improve on my press-ups. After 2 months I can now do 25 press-ups :>. In this time I have done little to no press-ups.

I have been going to the gym 4 times a week and lifting weights straining all parts of my body. One day I focus on Tri-ceps/Chest, the next Bi-ceps/Back and finally Legs/Abs. On top of weights I run 4-5 miles in between days at the gym, which has made the 1.5-mile run pretty easy. Overall this has improved my strength and stamina. In my first session at the gym I could only bench 25kg in dumbbells now I can lift 55kg. Just put the time and effort in and it is easy.
 
#13
Mate from my own view i used to be only be able to do 20 press ups now i can do 60+ i went on a website called www.prmc.co.uk i know its for royal marines but they talk about how to improve press ups etc, well theres a good way - go on there and check it - it worked 4 me and alot of other people. ask ninja about the site he knows.
 
#14
Chicogiz said:
Mate from my own view i used to be only be able to do 20 press ups now i can do 60+ i went on a website called www.prmc.co.uk i know its for royal marines but they talk about how to improve press ups etc, well theres a good way - go on there and check it - it worked 4 me and alot of other people. ask ninja about the site he knows.
:oops: I can just about do TWO, with ten minute's rest in between! :lol:
 
#15
thingy said:
Chicogiz said:
Mate from my own view i used to be only be able to do 20 press ups now i can do 60+ i went on a website called www.prmc.co.uk i know its for royal marines but they talk about how to improve press ups etc, well theres a good way - go on there and check it - it worked 4 me and alot of other people. ask ninja about the site he knows.
:oops: I can just about do TWO, with ten minute's rest in between! :lol:
Lol get practice = practice makes good in my view lol not perfect. 1) CUT THE BEERS 2) every hour 4 the time ur up 2 the time u sleep do u max press ups every hour - at end week one i improved by 25
 
#16
Chicogiz said:
Mate from my own view i used to be only be able to do 20 press ups now i can do 60+ i went on a website called www.prmc.co.uk i know its for royal marines but they talk about how to improve press ups etc, well theres a good way - go on there and check it - it worked 4 me and alot of other people. ask ninja about the site he knows.
Could you provide me some links if possible?

Many thanks
 
#17
Chicogiz said:
thingy said:
Chicogiz said:
Mate from my own view i used to be only be able to do 20 press ups now i can do 60+ i went on a website called www.prmc.co.uk i know its for royal marines but they talk about how to improve press ups etc, well theres a good way - go on there and check it - it worked 4 me and alot of other people. ask ninja about the site he knows.
:oops: I can just about do TWO, with ten minute's rest in between! :lol:
Lol get practice = practice makes good in my view lol not perfect. 1) CUT THE BEERS 2) every hour 4 the time ur up 2 the time u sleep do u max press ups every hour - at end week one i improved by 25
I blame Nutty for filling me up with Brandy Espaniola (warmed over an inverted brandy glass containing burning brandy), Tottana cakes and the expert culnary surprises dished up by Mrs and Mr Nutty in their villa in Mazarron. It would be sooooo rude to do press ups afterwards, or before for that matter! :biggrin:
 
#18
Elsi said:
Chicogiz said:
Mate from my own view i used to be only be able to do 20 press ups now i can do 60+ i went on a website called www.prmc.co.uk i know its for royal marines but they talk about how to improve press ups etc, well theres a good way - go on there and check it - it worked 4 me and alot of other people. ask ninja about the site he knows.
Could you provide me some links if possible?

Many thanks
Hey m8 heres the link:

http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3968
 
#20
Chicogiz said:
Elsi said:
Chicogiz said:
Mate from my own view i used to be only be able to do 20 press ups now i can do 60+ i went on a website called www.prmc.co.uk i know its for royal marines but they talk about how to improve press ups etc, well theres a good way - go on there and check it - it worked 4 me and alot of other people. ask ninja about the site he knows.
Could you provide me some links if possible?

Many thanks
Hey m8 heres the link:

http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3968
Thanks! Any more topics on Pressups?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads