Press-ups... anyone else find them a bitch ?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DiveX, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently joined the gym and going around 2 - 3 times a week, however I'm finding it difficult to do more than 20 reps of pressups each set. Is there a test where you have to do press ups for the RN if you apply to become a warfare officer ? AIB medical etc...

Also, if anyone out there has some gd tips on how to improve on doing press-ups would be appreciated.

2. Doing few and often is the way to build up in my experience. Do many sets throughout each day, varying the intervals daily (30, 45, 60 mins, etc). Cut down on the number of repetitions - don't go for maximal reps each set, but instead only a percentage of your maximum. As an example:

Mon - 40% of max every 60mins,
    Tue - 50% every 30,
    Wed - 70% every 45,
    Thu - 40% every 60,
    Fri - 80% every 60,
    Sat - 55% every 90,
    Sun - 20% every 90.

If you have the time to keep this up over the course of each day then you should rack up a good number of press-ups daily. I picked this up from somewhere (I forget exactly where) and it has certainly paid dividends for me.

3. Ask Brazenhussy to lie under you while you do them.

4. The only tips I can think of are; lose any excess weight you might have, and make sure you train other muscle groups in you arms, shoulders and back. They'll all work together to make the press-ups easier. But the most important and by far the simplest method of making sure you can do the required press-ups is to just do them often. The more you do them, eventually the more you’ll be able to do. It’s just about training those muscles.

For the royal Navy joining as a rating you have to do 23-26 press-ups in 2mins. That in my opinion is way too easy and you should really (assuming you’re a young man) manage 30 plus in 1 min.

5. Cheers Helios,

18 years, hopeing to join next year, plenty of time to train. Thanks again.

6. Try to slow down, are you trying too much at once? If it is that hard for you, do 10 push ups, take a 30 sec - 1 min break and then do another 10 push ups. If it's due to your upper arm strength letting you down, try doing the girl push ups ( where you rest your knees on the floor) and build up slowly that way.

I will stand corrected on this; during basic you do a fitness test but press ups and such are down in time to a beep test.

7. Hi,

I'm training for the Royal Marines. I've got experience training with US Navy Seals down in FL, and i'm familiar with thier training and how they increase press-up reps. Look up Stew Smith methods of improving upper body strength, very decent and relavent work outs.

Some tips I have that i'm able to share with you are; do them correctly! doing 10 decent push-ups are far better than 20 press-ups that are done with incorrect posture or technique. Put a stapler or a hole puncher underneath your chest, and for a successful press-up your chest must touch it and push it down a little - this way you effectively train your muscles.

Another good tip, as some people have mentoined is do them often! I - as much as I hate it - do press-ups before I go to sleep and when I wake up, I have to do a set of press-ups before I eat or drink something in the morning. Why? It teaches you discipline, strength, and endurance.

After every run, bike ride or cardiovascular training take a little rest then find a branch or an object were you can perform some pull-ups. Do at least 3 sets of 3 pull-ups. A common mistake is that people JUST do press-ups, but you must also train your biceps, this is vital and not doing so could decrease your rep mount dramaticly and you will not work to your optimum level. Do Tricep dips along with your press-ups.

Famous among our American colleagues are pyramid work outs (if you've done these before, it should send a shiver down your spine!). What is ment by this is doing a set of press-ups, pull-ups, tricep dips (can be altered to meet specific needs) and increasing them each time. When your muscles burn and you feel like you can't do anymore, then decrease the amount until you get to zero. For exammple; Press-ups, Tricep dips, pull ups should be done as follows: 5,5,2 - break - 8,8,3 - break - 12,12,4...(then decrease the amount until you reach your first rep amount) This is a basic format but works wonders. Do some berpies in the middle, they are also effective. YOUR age does not matter, i've been doing this since the age of 14, i'm 18 now. Good luck and perform well!

Richard

8. Hi DX

Top tips for improving your press-ups.

1. Work on your core strength. Ever noticed how some guys with huge arms/shoulders and a lot of upper body strength cant do press-ups, yet the skinny but fit lad can push out dozens of them? Its as much about your core strength as it is about arm strength. (To demonstrate this, the next time you do press ups, cross your legs behind you and you should be able to push out more reps - this is becuase you have given your body a more stable platform to work from.)

2. Hitting the gym 3 x per week and doing press-ups as part of your routine, will make your arms tired quickly and it will take a long time to notice a marked improvement I wanted to max out on my BPFA assesment (max of 60 in 2 mins) but still have loads left to give as the next exercise was pull-ups (max of 18).
    The way I done it was to do 20 reps (or sets of 20 reps depending on how much time I had) whenever I got the chance. Waiting for the kettle to boil, during EVERY set of adverts on TV, while dinner is cooking or your running a bath etc etc. That potentialy adds up to a couple of hundred press ups PER DAY!! You will do far more this way than you ever will on a dedicated hour of phys.

Push out as many press-ups as you can tonight and keep a record of it. Then take the next two weeks and try my method to improve (remembering to work your core strength in your 3 x per week gym sessions). Once youve done that, take a day off and the following afternoon try to do as many push ups as you can. I would bet you wont be far off double your original amount, if you stick to the schedule.

Good luck and if you need any help drop me a PM

Spenny

9. I do a weight session Monday, Wednesday and Friday and in each session, I do my max press-ups as a warm-up.

Only I don't do standard ones, I do them on those press-up bars you see. They're a lot tougher than normal press-ups.

I can do 23 on the bars, which is the equivalent of doing 40-50 normal ones.

Get them bars mate, they're a bitch at first, but once you get used to them, you'll be waiting until your next go at them.

Ahh, HERE you go mate!

Hopefully before I join, I can do 50 of them, which will be around 90-100 normal ones.

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

How did you manage to arrange training with the Seals?

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

JD your arms aren't long enough for you to do proper press ups, you are not going to get that belly off of the ground :dwarf:

12. Richie

Welcome to RR mate and very good post!!

13. I was stuck on a one set max of about 50 for ages til I read some sort of Russian Special Forces recommended training method on the internet which was just pyramids. I did 3 pyramids of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 pressups with a few seconds break in between each set, 3 times per week for a month and went up to 65 max.

It's all about pyramids, worked just as well with pull ups.

14. The super chance I get to train with the Navy Seals is due to the fact my Dad works in FL Tampa Bay AF Base MacDill, works at CENTCOM and SOCOM. Also the helpful programme that Kory Knowles offers to Navy personal on the delayed Navy Entry Programme give me a chance to work out with them. After that beasting your used to getting hurt.

ps Thank you Spenny

Richard

15. Hi,

Just to let you know- you do not have to do any press-ups at the AIB, infact the MSFT is all you have to do, fitness wise. I wouldn't worry too much about it until after you pass the AIB, assuming you do, and for now spend your time running up and down a sports hall.

If you need to know anything about the AIB feel free to PM me.

I always find that being allowed to put your knees on the floor makes everything a lot easier. :p

16. omg i hate pressups my max was 32 in one go, although i dont mind sit ups

17. When I was at Dartmouth you had to do 22 Press Ups in two minutes. However the fitter and stronger you are physically the better you will cope with training in general, because when you are doing Divisional Phys you should be aiming to be the fittest, the las thing you want to be is the slowest.

18. Yeah I'll agree with that.

That's why I was pleased in a way that my date for joining was further away than I expected.

I instantly though "Omg, I can be a demon in time for Raleigh now if I keep my training up".

Oh and tip for you toast, get a set of those press-up bars, they're only £5 in Argos and they're solid to do, but once you get used to them, they'll inscrease your upper body strength in no time.

I can do 22 now which is the equivalent of about 40-50 normal press-up.

I will hopefully be able to do 50 in time for Raleigh.

19. It pays to be a winner!! :thumright:

20. Sweet il have to get some of them, whens your join date creddly, ha ha oh yeah your not givin away nwt :p