Press-Up question...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rinsie, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When at the AIB and you're doing your max press-ups, for navy entry is it just normal wide arm press-ups or is it the marine style press-ups?

2. I would imagine it depends on the PTI. If it is a bootneck PTI no doubt they will want them done properly as wide arm press-ups are alot easier. Besides if you just practice doing normal press-ups you will have nothing to worry about.

3. I know people ask these kinda of questions and its fair enough, i was the same when i joined up, but just try asking the AFCO, i pretty much annoyed mine every day, thats what they are there for. I think every one should have a basic idea of what there fitness levels suppose to be and what is expected of them.

4. I've researched the levels that you need to do just couldnt find a definitive answer on wether it was marine style or not.

5. Here's a question, what is a press up? Surely it is a push up as you are pushing yourself up? I fear I may be shot down for this.

6. I hope the AFCO staff have told you what to do on each and every press/push up!?
    I will tell you anyway, you have to make a sound when you push yourself back up... its just like an orgasm sound! ahhrrr! sorta thing.
    Some MOs wont be bothered but as long as you do it at raleigh by the first press/push up you even do you should be fine mate ;)

7. OHHHHHH so many bad memories of them. BEND, STRETCH,ARMS BEND STRETCH lol

8. Doesn't change the fact that you don't have to do any at the AIB?

9. You will find wide arm press-ups are easier than normal and close up press-ups so while you are getting punished usually the PTI will ask one of those 2 of you.

So many bad memories lol

10. FEMALE PRESS UPS:

I was looking at the pre joining fitness booklet yesterday, and with regards to female press ups it shows them being done with knees on the ground.

Is this done throughout training (I'm referring to BRNC)? Or do women do the "full" press up, surely?

I just find it very strange as I'm used to do them normal-style.

11. Women only have to do the Women press ups.

12. if you do them 'properly' do your elbows stick out sideways or tuck under your chest as you go down?

also i personally find women ones to be either much harder or very easy, does anyone know the proper way to do them? is it just knees on the floor? i do man ones to train , i figure someone will show me the easy way and then il be better as i trained the hard way!

13. Why are there any differences between the levels of fitness required for men and women?

Surely when it comes down to it a test is there to ensure everyone has a basic physical capability so that in an emergency situation there is the man/womanpower available to be able to deal with whatever may be occuring.

It seems to me that in these days of so called "Sexual equality", women are having their cake AND eating it!

Political correctness gone mad (oh sorry you can't say "mad" as that implies disablism, Ha).

Rant over.

14. I do agree with you there. Im not gonna say anything else on this as i could get some very negative replies back lol

15. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

16. Jimbo is absolutely spot on, unless you are a complete Biology Namet, you may have noticed that there are significant physical differences between male and Female human beings. The minimum standards required of female members of the armed forces are adequate for what would be required of them in "an emergency situation"

I am very good friends with a 29 year old female MA who can run her mile and a half in 7:45, I believe she runs (or did) for the RN. Now, for Equality, I demand you match that.

17. Hold your horses here guys. I'm not being sexist or anything and I'm fully aware that women are built differently to men and on averages are less powerful than men. I'm not saying it's easier for women to pass the fitness tests.

My point is that a steel girder or a jammed door ain't gonna make itself easier to shift just because it's a woman who's trying to shift it.

I just don't see why a bloke who is more physically capable than a female can't join when the female could. The same applies to the differences in required fitness levels for different ages. Just doesn't make much sense logically.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that it's more a measurement of attitude and lifestyle rather than actual physical capability.

P.S. I don't even dream about running that fast. That's an incredible time. I can't get over how the winner of the ladies London marathon can run at a faster pace for 26 miles, than I can for 1.5.

18. I think women should have to do a proper press up even if not as many, girl press up's don't really do much do they.

19. In normal circumstances women are different to men, but have you seen some of the state of women that join up ????? My god they can out bench some of the bigger blokes. Also have you seen some of the women that go for SRR selection ??? never seen women that fit before, its amazing.