Press release: ROYAL NAVY STATEMENT – 20 July 2016

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Jul 20, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The submarine suffered some external damage but there is absolutely no damage to her nuclear plant and no member of the ship’s company was injured in the incident.

An immediate investigation is being conducted.

The submarine will be entering Gibraltar later this evening for further checks. There are no safety concerns associated with HMS AMBUSH being alongside.

Continue reading...
  2. ? What did she hit?
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

4. Ho dear someone is in the poo?
  5. Hope they've all been keeping abreast of the JC thread!!

Oh and another thing - peak holiday season....... wonder what hotels they'll be staying at?

Bet the Cox'n is busy on Avigo, Kayak and!!
  6. Bummer all that was available was 5*? Does GiB have any?
    SB you can pop over and give them a hand, they will be short handed after the enquiry?
  7. No casualties - all that really matters. Investigation, hoo-ha, diplomatic harumphs, possible/probable embarrassment - but no knock on the door to devastate a wife or parent.

Please, though, no use of "minor" collision on the part of the RN/MOD. Even "glancing" collision looks like a bit of knee-jerk spin-doctrine ( no, not a spelling error) before they/we know about the extent of the damage and the result of the investigation.

Any collision between a submerged boat and a surface ship has got to be treated as potentially catastrophic. To do otherwise sends the wrong message to members of the Submarine Service and families.
  8. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

9. OK, AG, you organise the repairs and I'll invoice MOD. It could save them a bit, but we still might manage a few million each out of the deal........
    • Like Like x 1
  10. It takes a fairly good thump to damage a fin like that?
  11. Parris will be OK it has a big blue plaster on it, I bet the doc has thrown a few aspirin’s in as well, No shore leave for Benders.

The bridge looks a bit small, may be a bit of new stream lining?

If you are correct SB then there is a merchant with potential prop damage, unless it was one of those mysterious black icebergs? Hence no civy vessels damaged?
  12. Looking at the damage to the PARIS dome and the bridge I'd say they were probably going deep when the collision happened, and probably in some haste too.
  13. Oh, I don't doubt that for a second. There will be a few pairs of underpants in the wash I'll wager. Anyway, Ambush is fully comp, and the Green Flag van is on its way.
    I've come home to Faslane covered in tarps and scaffolding, but it never happened so forget I typed that.
  14. By the way the fin is bent it could have been whacked by a prop (not rugby player)
    I cannot believe the merch has not reported damage.
    Skipper what's that oil slick behind us? don't worry about that its normal?