Press release: Prime Minister hosts reception for the MS Society in Downing Street

MoD_RSS

War Hero
The Prime Minister welcomed over 150 volunteers, ambassadors and supporters of the charity as well as its chair Nick Winser to the event at Downing Street.

The Prime Minister also presented one of the charity’s volunteers, David Allen, with a Points of Light award. David has transformed his local branch of the MS Society into one that helps hundreds of people every year. He has also been instrumental in some of the charity’s national campaigns including ‘Treat Me Right’, aiming to improve early access to treatment. This hard work earnt David the charity’s Volunteer of the Year award only a year after his own diagnosis with MS.

Prime Minister Theresa May said:

I know from my own family’s experience how incredibly tough living with MS can be and how it changes lives profoundly. The work that the MS Society does not only improves the lives of those diagnosed with the condition through funding new research but also provides much needed support for them and their loved ones. They are only able to do this through the tireless dedication of their incredible volunteers such as David and I am delighted to be able to present him with a Points of Light award.

Points of Light winner, David Allen said:

When I started volunteering for the MS Society over 15 years ago I had no idea where the role would take me. I volunteer to help bring about vital change for people affected by MS and will continue to share my experience of the condition to help others. If I’m honest, I’m gobsmacked I’ve won an award. It is truly an honour and privilege to be recognised in this way and it is really humbling to know people notice.

Patricia Gordon, Acting Chief Executive at the MS Society, said:

David has made a huge contribution to the MS Society over the last five years, and his continued support and dedication is invaluable. It was fantastic to see him presented with a Points of Light Award by the Prime Minister at an event to celebrate our volunteers and advancements in MS research. It was a great way to thank him for his work, and something we will all remember for a very long time.

We’re driving research into more – and better – treatments, and David’s unwavering dedication and passion will help us every step of the way. Together, we’re strong enough to stop MS.

More than 5,000 people around the UK volunteer for the MS Society, and last year alone gave more than 700,000 hours of their valuable time to support people affected by MS.

The Points of Light awards honour outstanding volunteers across the UK. Every weekday, the Prime Minister recognises a different individual with the award as a tribute to the incredible impact they have had in their communities.

Continue reading...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: UK praises strong Nepal relationship following Prime Minister Oli’s visit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with Prime Minister KP Oli of Nepal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister strengthens Northern Powerhouse with joint ministerial appointment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister appoints new Independent Members to the House of Lords Appointments Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister appoints new Grenfell Tower Inquiry panel members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Readout of PM call with Prime Minister Modi: 25 May 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Readout of PM call with Prime Minister Morrison: 19 May 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister leads unprecedented support for Holocaust Memorial as further £25m committed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with Prime Minister Jakobsdóttir: 2 May 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel: 3 March 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister Imran Khan of Pakistan: 3 March 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister announces UK aid to boost Jordan’s prosperity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Joint statement on behalf of Prime Minister May and President Juncker MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with the Prime Minister of Malta: 11 February 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Joint statement on behalf of the Prime Minister and President Juncker MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister hosts Burns Night Supper in Downing Street MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Trade wins for Hamleys, Norton motorcycles and British farmers as Prime Minister Abe visits London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Joint Communiqué between the Prime Ministers of the UK and Poland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister Theresa May becomes first PM to visit Buenos Aires MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Five new business councils to advise the Prime Minister on post-Brexit opportunities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister Mehdi of Iraq: 26 October 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister appoints Lord Evans of Weardale as Chair of the Committee on Standards in Public Life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister appoints new committee chairs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Joint statement from Prime Minister May and Prime Minister Rutte MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister Netanyahu: 10 May 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Joint statement from Prime Minister May, Chancellor Merkel and President Macron following President Trump’s statement on Iran MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister Gentiloni: 16 March 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister’s call with President Erdogan: 26 January 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with Prime Minister Ratas: 30 January 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister Barzani: 12 December 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister Erna Solberg: 26 October 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Joint statement by Prime Minister Theresa May and President Jean-Claude Juncker MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak: 14 Sept 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Australian Prime Minister Turnbull: 14 September 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau: 20 June 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister of Sweden following Stockholm attack: 8 April 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau: 10 April 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with the Prime Minister of Qatar: 27 March 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister's statement following attack in Westminster MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with French Prime Minister Cazeneuve: 17 February 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau: 4 February 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Poland Prime Minister Beata Szydlo: 18 January 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Italian Prime Minister Gentiloni: 14 December 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister seeks new chapter in relations with the Gulf on visit to Bahrain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: David Cameron holds security talks with Prime Minister Modi at Chequers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: David Cameron holds talks with Estonian Prime Minister Rõivas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister Netanyahu visit to Downing Street MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister announces new jobs and investment for Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister's statement on Iran's nuclear programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prime Minister announces employment support for armed forces community MoD News 0