Press release: All public sector employees who work directly with the public to have fluent...

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Aug 3, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• new legislation to make fluent English a requirement for all public sector staff working in customer-facing roles
    • public sector organisations will be required to ensure staff can speak at least school leaver levels of English
    • the requirement will be brought in as part of the new Immigration Bill

New legislation requiring every public sector worker employed in a public-facing role to speak fluent English will be introduced in September, Cabinet Office Minister Matt Hancock confirmed today.

This will mean that all public sector organisations must ensure that staff can communicate effectively with the public, to what is expected to be at least ‘level 2’ – equivalent to a C or above at GCSE.

This requirement would increase depending on the nature of the role and profession. Doctors, for example, are already required to have a much higher level of English.

Organisations including the NHS, armed forces and state-funded schools will all be bound by a new code of practice which will be produced following a consultation in the autumn. The legislation and code of practice will apply to both existing and new employees working in public-facing roles.

Minister for the Cabinet Office Matt Hancock said:

We are controlling immigration for the benefit of all hard-working people. That includes making sure that foreign nationals employed in customer-facing public sector roles are able to speak a high standard of English.

We have already introduced tough new language requirements for migrants, now we will introduce new legislation in the forthcoming Immigration Bill to deliver the commitment made by the Prime Minister to go further.

The government has already legislated to allow some health regulators to ask for evidence of English language competence from applicants trained in the EU who apply for registration with them, to work as healthcare professionals in the UK.

Primary legislation will be passed to extend this kind of language control to every public sector worker in a customer facing role. This will include police officers, social workers, teaching staff and assistants, Jobcentre Plus workers and local government employees.

This will be the first time there has been a co-ordinated approach to enforcing fluent English across the public sector and will create a consistent experience for taxpayers, while promoting integration and British values in the United Kingdom.

Continue reading...

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

That will be a problem for some Jocks I know.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

What am dis about?

3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Never mind Jocks, who at least speak a dialect of English! What about the "gangstas from de 'hood" who seem to be speaking fluid Klingon?

4. Geordies?

5. Seadog

Unless the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) is used, I'll wager HMG will fall foul of some EU rule and M'boto will be checking your library books in and giving you a receipt for the fines on the overdue ones.

Fluent is educated ( as opposed to 'finished high school') native speaker.

Irony in use of 'native' noted.

6. I have a fantastic Doctor, great English once you get to know him but his accent is extremely Sub-continental. Would be a mission to have him and a Geordie in conversation. Sometimes it isn't the level of spoken English that's the problem, it can also be the accent. :cool:

7. Bollotom, you are spot-on about problems with accent. I wonder if your doctor is the same chap that rings me regularly about the problems with my laptop?

Interesting that HMG is banging the drum about fluent English.

"This will be the first time there has been a co-ordinated approach to enforcing fluent English across the public sector and will create a consistent experience for taxpayers, while promoting integration and British values in the United Kingdom."

That paragraph - indeed, sentence - might well be fluent English but is also sadly
    laden with management-bollocks language.

• Like Like x 2
    • public sector organisations will be required to ensure staff can speak at least school leaver levels of English?

They have obviously not spoken to any teenagers in recent times; I think they have a language of their own, if they speak at all, an odd grunt occasionally, unless asking for money. Then that is normally preceded by I want or I need.

8. Seadog

Woteva!

9. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

'fo sizzle'

10. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

So my public facing dustman will have to have Grade C English? If he could do that he would not be a dustman...

11. Ok then let’s put this into some sort of perspective are we to back to the 1950-60 where anyone that worked for the BBC had to speak in a certain way, or are they going to invent a new qualification, public facing English exam and will this change around the country so as not to be racist against local area dialects, Janner, Geordie, Scots etc. once again into the breach they go without looking very far ahead.
    This goes along with the landlord is responsible for evicting people/families from their properties if they have no legal right to live in the UK but when asked the Home Office refused to issue copies of specimen documents, so landlords could have a chance, by saying there are so many variant’s it would not be possible A trial in the west midland seems to imply it will not work, as landlord not wishing to get 5 years behind bars, refused tenancy to people with an accent?

• Like Like x 1
  12. It's just a tin full of worms on the shelf waiting to be opened and the flood of lawsuits following on grounds of discrimination for numbers of subjects. When it's thought through it's a good idea. As a bullet point exercise it's a load of old crap. I'm from Lancashire, have a strong accent and would think my landlord would have to have a degree in phonetics and be multilingual to spot the difference between some nations. Best looking round for the "Real news" that popped up which this BS is designed to camouflage.:cool: