President under threat of scrapping.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by janner, Aug 4, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

2. No Janner, it's the WW1 Q-ship HMS President which is apparently under threat. The article isn't that accurate, though.

"As a Q-ship, President (known as HMS Saxifrage during her time in service) was a merchant vessel with hidden weaponry, designed to lure submarines into making surface attacks."

Clearly, HMS Saxifrage was NOT a merchant ship - she was a sloop designed to have the appearance of a merchant ship.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  4. There is room for President on the other side of the pier Warrior is at in Pompey, if it comes to it. Funnily enough that was where NMRN were thinking of putting Caroline at one time before they decided to leave her in Belfast.

I think you can put the panicky tone of the press releases from the President trust down to their desire to raise a bit of corporate dosh and keep her in London as a gin palace rather than have her at Chatham or Pompey.
    • Informative Informative x 1

5. Hope not, they've just spent £14 Million of lottery money refurbing it for Jutland 100.
  6. Mods:
    I think we need to re-name this thread.
    Should be "HMS President (1917) under threat of scraping"
  7. Mind you - if PRESIDENT was to go, it would just be one less place in the capital for city types to drink Gin. Sorry just channeling my inner Katie Hopkins there.....;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. A bit unfair. Rather than simply drinking gin, they are engaged in a positive re-cycling effort which is ultimately of benefit to the Thames' threatened water levels.