Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

President Blair and the EU Constitution, er Treaty

Do you want a vote on the EU Treaty?

• Total voters

diesel

Lantern Swinger
Back to the subject of a referendum.

Here in Hong Kong we do not have universal suffrage. The Chinese government will not allow it. This is simply because they believe the population is too stupid ( 6 million plus in HK, twice the population of NZ did you know ? ). What we have is a Legislative Council headed by a CEO ( HK guy selected by Beijing )

When I think about it, if we did have the vote I think we would end up with someone like Jacky Chan in charge. A bit like the septics putting the likes of Ronald Reagan (good administration) Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger in office. The people here are too immature, believe me, and the mainland government knows it. They have set a provisional date for universal suffrage ( democracy ? ) for 2020.

Just thought I'd tell you that :thumright:

come_the_day said:
Maxi_77 said:
[Porous border, pot kettle black, our immigration people don't really know who is in or out, our border is every bit a porous as any one elses, and that has b*gger all to do with the EU, that is down to the incompetance of our own government

Peter

You are a yachtsman. If this country has ever had anything but a porous border, I'll eat my hat. I don't think it's necessarily a government failing, as policing the whole of the coastline would be impossible. What irks me about our borders since becoming members of the Euro club, is that the pressure to admit so many people who choose to bypass the rest of Europe to get to our welfare heaven has become so great.

There was a time not that long ago when any yacht that looked the slightest bit suspicious would get a visit from the waterguard and the status of it's crew and 'cargo' checked before they even had a chance to get ashore, today if they are lucky they will find a polite request on a poster at the landing place asking them to phone customs and immigration if they have anything to declare. We used to check and record every non Brit who arrived and left the country, until very recently these checks were not applied especially to those leaving so we never even knew if people overstayed. Porosity is not about the length of border etc but about the way you monitor it.

Maxi_77 said:
[Porosity is not about the length of border etc but about the way you monitor it.

Couldn't disagree. I've only been sailing for a few years, but I have never seen any foreign yacht boarded, either in any of the many ports around the Solent or "at sea". We're more likely to be subjected to checks by officious local police than anyone flying a non-UK ensign.

So why can't the Westminster MPs be as forthright as this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7219580.stm

A British Euro MP has been threatened with expulsion from the EPP group of MEPs after likening new powers with those given to Hitler in 1933.

The European Parliament's German president Hans-Gert Poettering has been given extra powers to curb disruptions after protests by Eurosceptic MEPs. Daniel Hannan said only his personal respect for Mr Poettering stopped him comparing the powers to a Nazi-era law

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
trelawney126 EU Blair Calls for "Elected President" Current Affairs 16
trelawney126 Blair Goes Begging for the President of EU Position Current Affairs 5
LP_Blower Blair not for president! Current Affairs 8
trelawney126 Blair to be Inaugarated EU President at the Vatican Diamond Lil's 5
trelawney126 Irish Referendum Pt2 2nd Oct 09. ? Blair for EU President Current Affairs 15
F UK 'backs Blair for EU president' so says "Lady" Kinnock Current Affairs 21
Passed-over_Loggie UK 'backs Blair for EU president' The Quarterdeck 5
MoD_RSS Alok Sharma becomes full-time COP26 president and Kwasi Kwarteng is appointed as Secretary of State for Business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister’s call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen: 17 December 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement from UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen: 13 December 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President's closing remarks at Climate Ambition Summit 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement from UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and European Commission President von der Leyen: 7 December 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement from European Commission President von der Leyen and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary call with Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta: November 24 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New British Ambassador presents his credentials to the President of Paraguay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President-elect Biden of the United States: 10 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Moon: 10 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A message of condolence from Her Majesty The Queen to the President of the Republic of Honduras MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A message of condolence from Her Majesty The Queen to the President of the Republic of Guatemala MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen: 7 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Nicos Anastasiades: 27 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Readout of PM phone call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Charles Michel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Macron: 10 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS From Portsmouth to Odesa, UK and Ukraine naval cooperation on show as Ukrainian President visits HMS Prince of Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM meeting with President Zelenskyy: 8 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President of the European Council Charles Michel: 7 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President of the European Commission: 3 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President el-Sisi: 29 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Erdogan of Turkey: 28 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Macron: 7 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Michel Aoun of Lebanon: 8 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Vizcarra of Peru: 5 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior President of Tribunals: 31 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Mahmoud Abbas, President of the Palestinian Authority: 14 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Kenyatta: 4 July 2020 MoD News 1
MoD_RSS COP26 President Alok Sharma at COP26 Business Leaders Event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM's meeting with President Macron: 18 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement on the death of President Nkurunziza of Burundi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President speech at Race to Zero campaign launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President at opening of June Momentum for Climate Change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Erdoğan of Turkey: 29 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Trump: 29 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster to the Vice President of the European Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President of the European Commission: 8 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister’s call with President Putin: 8 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President closing remarks at Petersberg Climate Dialogue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President remarks at first day of Petersberg Climate Dialogue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President closing remarks at Placencia Ambition Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President speech at opening of Placencia Ambition Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Trump: 21 April 2020 MoD News 0