Preserved Pension Eligibility

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by JonnyAlpha, Jan 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all;

Posting this on behalf of me old fella (Ex RN).

He left the Navy in or around 1969 and had been in around 9 years, left because me Mum was nagging him to get out - should have stayed in cos she`s been nagging hime eversince!!!

Anyway I`m going to get his exact service details but he has heard through the grapvine that he might have been eligible for a preserved pension, possibly through an article in the Navy News or the British Legion.

I have scoured the internet and will be phoneing SPVA on Monday but wondered if anyone had any idea what the eligibility is for those who left pre AFP75?

He could do with a few more coffers to help with the Gee Gee`s and whisky rations.

Many thanks
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If it helps, I served between 60 and 70 and am not entitled to anything, there was a campaign to try and get something but I believe it came to nothing.

Have a look here for the latest information
  3. Yes you should be entitled to something:

Get in touch with AFPS asap.
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If he left prior to 1975 He gets nothing as it stands, read the first paragraph of your quote again
  5. I think the emphasis there is 'was'.

I think that bit is where it says they 'now' do have preserved pension.
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Janner is right, the rules changed in April 1975, all those still serving at the time were transferred onto AFPS 75, those who had already left got zilch. I've recently been through this to help out a friend who sadly has now passed on, he got a polite but firm letter explaining that he was entitled to feck all, he left in March 1975!!!
  7. So another - who gives a shit about old people - regulation.

There is a similar thing in the civil service. You can alot some of your pension to your wife so she will be ok when you die. If she should die before you, however, it can't be changed back and you dip out of the amount you alotted to her.
  8. I remember when the pussers pension was amended so that when you died your wife would receive 50% of it. However this was only for the years following the announcement. We were allowed to pay for any years prior to then, consequently if my wife outlives me (as is normal) she will get 50% of my pension.