Preparing to join

I have not yet applied but I have tried to train myself to be slightly ready. I have done pushups and sit-ups and I know how to swim. But I am concerned that I am not using the right technique. I cannot bring my chest too close to the floor without touching it or it is physically impossible for me to push back up, I have to lower my chest all the way. And it is much easier for me and less painful for my back to have my hands behind my neck when I situp. Do I have to adhere to a certain technique?

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
Hey @DracoKrys the youtube links below should help with form and pace.

Good form:
The next video is done to the same beep test for press-ups that RN use (ignore that it's an RM beep test - they use the same one)

The next vid helps with hints and tips for press ups and sit ups, you aren't allowed to have hands behind the head/neck as this aids the movement and then isn't reliant solely on the Abs.

If there is pain when doing any exercise, look at form, if your form is good there is a chance that you just haven't got the correct equipment, if you're doing sit ups and its painful, I'm presuming you mean on your coccyx (base of your spine) you may need to do this on a thick carpet or yoga mat etc.

I hope this helps?

@Genghis yeah it's the base of the spine that hurts. Sit-ups aren't too difficult apart from that. I just don't know how to improve my pushups. If I get my chest to the floor it's easy but I cannot lift my chest back up once it's an inch or two away. Can this only be improved by practice?

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
The base of my spine hurts if I do sit ups on a hard floor, best thing you can do is use decently padded equipment, a pillow would be a good start but a yoga mat is excellent.
With press ups, in all seriousness its practise practise practise. at the start of my application in February 2017 I couldn't do 2 press ups, I was pretty fat and had sweet FA muscle in my chest. I hit the gym and got on the dumbells, barbells and the chest press machine all while constantly attempting press ups in any spare few minutes I got! I am smashing out a fair few now! Just practise any chance you get and remember that recovery and good form is very important - you're young, you have plenty of time!

@Genghis thank you so much for the support and advice I feel more confident now :) I am considering a gym membership at some point because I also need to work on my swimming a little, especially treading water, and some gyms have a pool.

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
@DracoKrys no problemo, happy to help!
Gym memberships are a valuable and extremely useful asset to have access to but dont hit the heavy weights and take tonnes of mass gaining protein shakes etc, you dont want your BMI to go up too far! Best work on base level fitness and toning - body weight exercises such as Press-ups, Sit-ups, Pull-ups, dips, Squats and running every other day is best to get you to a standard that you'll blitz PRNC and not struggle too much at the start of Phase 1.
With swimming - that is one of the most important parts of fitness in the RN - its a water based career after all!

I'm just back from PRNC, give me.m a shout by pm if you want advice.

I'll post an experience thread soon. Press ups - you'll NEED to be well versed in.

@Subadubdub thanks, could you pm when when you post it.

I can only try to improve as much as possible and do my best. I'm scared of failure though. I really need to be able to pass. I'm going to start running several days a week.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
@Subadubdub thanks, could you pm when when you post it.

I can only try to improve as much as possible and do my best. I'm scared of failure though. I really need to be able to pass. I'm going to start running several days a week.
Let's keep it realistic.
All you are talking about are some basic human functions, running, push ups and sit ups.

Just go and do it.

Latest Threads