Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16

I also recall spinning some dits at home once (safeguard dits) and looking back and thinking to myself, that must have sounded like a good old jackanory story to my civvy mates.

Recalling some of the places I've been to and seen they could only dream about, stuck in Bermuda for a few weeks, NTTR (google it), 18 weeks in Puerto Rico, Afghanistan.......

It didn't take long to lose any friendship connection from home, in fact the last schoolmate I saw was earlier this year when I was seconded to the Netherlands, he had been living over there for 20 odd years.

I have never has any urge to move back home, when my parents are gone that will be me finished with N Wales.

Dusty70

War Hero
Yep - went home twice after I joined up - all my old mates seemed childish and monumentally boring - did't go back never seen them again

Yep - went home twice after I joined up - all my old mates seemed childish and monumentally boring - did't go back never seen them again

I remember not long after joining up (I think I had just finished training) and I went away for a few days with my Civvy mates. It was a big thing for them however it felt like a normal Thursday night in Helston for me!! It was at that point I made the decision to break free.

I did however invite a mate down to Wyton for the weekend in the early 90's and got him lashed up at the bop and sent him home with one of the WRAF's :) took me ages to find him the next day!!!!

Jp0901

Midshipman
Yeah like I started an apprentiship in groundwork’s 3 month ago and I was really exited to join and see what the real world is like. After my first week I realised that this type of work is going to get more nowhere in life, I had seen people who had done this type of work since they were 16 aswell and they have never left the Same old town