Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16

Dusty70

War Hero
Totally agree JFH - joined at 15 years and 10 months with no quals totally bricking it and knowing sod all about the outside world - went to Raleigh because my birthday (was then) the wrong side of summer hols so I was also youngest in my class and was the only 15 year old at Raleigh instead of Ganges - all seemed ancient to me there and I had to defend myself - got to PO did all the courses I could scrounge (including 2 management Diplomas (best thing I ever did) - no offer for further 10 as we were such a small branch (SA SRs - needed someone to die to reach CPO so left at 40)

Civvy street were falling over themselves for my management and leadership skills - rose to Associate Director in the NHS, at one stage I was managing 1300 staff and a budget of over £80m - just retired on 2 very nice pensions thank you very much (bonus of state pension in 9 months but will have to pay 40% on that unless the threshold changes)

The Navy hardened me, gave me a sense of humour only other service people recognise, but above all bucket loads of confidence in my own abilities and the ability to prioritise and get the job done properly and quickly :cool::cool:

Jp0901

Midshipman
I'd just turned 17 when I joined up, it was 1985 and the unemployment rate was sky high, left a town in N Wales with a big drug problem (town not me).

As @crash_evans said it was the making of me, I left school with next to no qualifications and the Navy trained and educated me.

23 years later I left and walked into a Job as an Avionic Design Engineer, now I'm a Tech Support Manager looking after one of our Europeans neighbours C-130 Fleet.

To be honest I never thought about what I would do when I left as I knew I'd be in for the long stretch, I was offered 2OE (10), if the government hadn't binned the Harriers I may have stayed but leaving at the end of my initial time was the best decision.
Yeah I’m just joining because I don’t wanna end up like all the others in my town. I’ll be 17 when I go to HMS Raleigh aswell. For years I’ve wanted to just run away for here and nows my chance haha. I mean if don’t get bullied or anything, I’m fairly popular tbh but I’ve seen people who have stayed in this town all there life and done absolutely nothing

fishhead

War Hero
Yeah I’m just joining because I don’t wanna end up like all the others in my town. I’ll be 17 when I go to HMS Raleigh aswell. For years I’ve wanted to just run away for here and nows my chance haha. I mean if don’t get bullied or anything, I’m fairly popular tbh but I’ve seen people who have stayed in this town all there life and done absolutely nothing
I like your sense of purpose. Grab your opportunity with both hands, listen to what you're told, do what you're told and give everything your best shot. The RN likes a trier:)
Good luck for the future.

I recently went home to see my folks and bumped into somebody I went to school with. He left school and went to work in the local Chicken factory, he's still there 30 odd years later and hasn't been promoted or changed jobs!! Goes to the same pub every Saturday night and has a week 20 miles down the coast for his holidays each year!!! There are many more like him.

I would have probably been the same, I worked in a carpet shop then was offered an apprenticeship at a fuel injection company in Chester this offer came the same day as my RN letter, best choice I ever made.....

I also recall spinning some dits at home once (safeguard dits) and looking back and thinking to myself, that must have sounded like a good old jackanory story to my civvy mates.

Recalling some of the places I've been to and seen they could only dream about, stuck in Bermuda for a few weeks, NTTR (google it), 18 weeks in Puerto Rico, Afghanistan.......

It didn't take long to lose any friendship connection from home, in fact the last schoolmate I saw was earlier this year when I was seconded to the Netherlands, he had been living over there for 20 odd years.

I have never has any urge to move back home, when my parents are gone that will be me finished with N Wales.

Dusty70

War Hero
Yep - went home twice after I joined up - all my old mates seemed childish and monumentally boring - did't go back never seen them again

Yep - went home twice after I joined up - all my old mates seemed childish and monumentally boring - did't go back never seen them again
I remember not long after joining up (I think I had just finished training) and I went away for a few days with my Civvy mates. It was a big thing for them however it felt like a normal Thursday night in Helston for me!! It was at that point I made the decision to break free.

I did however invite a mate down to Wyton for the weekend in the early 90's and got him lashed up at the bop and sent him home with one of the WRAF's :) took me ages to find him the next day!!!!

Jp0901

Midshipman
Yeah like I started an apprentiship in groundwork’s 3 month ago and I was really exited to join and see what the real world is like. After my first week I realised that this type of work is going to get more nowhere in life, I had seen people who had done this type of work since they were 16 aswell and they have never left the Same old town

Latest Threads