Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16

Jp0901

Midshipman
Hello everyone,
I’ve just finished my recruit test and have chosen to become a marine engineer.
I start Raleigh in about 5 months and I’m just looking for any advice to further prepare myself for Raleigh. I am physically fit and have recently started going to the gym to train my cardio and strength further.
I only got 2s in my maths and English GCSE’s so should i start revising my maths and English more?

Acryph

Badgeman
This wont help you at all but how do you already know you are starting Raleigh in 5 months when you've only just finished your recruit test?

Jp0901

Midshipman
The recruiter said it’s between 5 to 7 months when I should start, I haven’t got a problem with it even starting later. It will just give me more time to get smarter aha

Jp0901

Midshipman
I mean I’m not thick at all I’m just not good at complicated maths questions and picking out keywords in a poem. I wasn’t interested in all that at school but now I want to sort my head out now I know what I want to do

Acryph

Badgeman
The recruiter said it’s between 5 to 7 months when I should start, I haven’t got a problem with it even starting later. It will just give me more time to get smarter aha
Ah fair well be prepared for that to be either right or wrong. Good luck. :)

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hello everyone,
I start Raleigh in about 5 months and I’m just looking for any advice to further prepare myself for Raleigh. I am physically fit and have recently started going to the gym to train my cardio and strength further.
I only got 2s in my maths and English GCSE’s so should i start revising my maths and English more?
There's millions of threads on here about joining RAL. If you're at a loose end, use the search box and trawl through the results. Everything you need to know has been asked on here before, normally multiple times.

Ghost29

Badgeman
Hello everyone,
Hi mate. I’m in week 2 of Raleigh and I’m 16. It’s quite overwhelming the first week but I’ve already fitted in and I’m all happy here. Just start ironing and sewing as you need to be able to do these jobs quickly before you arrive

Jp0901

Midshipman
Hi mate. I’m in week 2 of Raleigh and I’m 16. It’s quite overwhelming the first week but I’ve already fitted in and I’m all happy here. Just start ironing and sewing as you need to be able to do these jobs quickly before you arrive
Cheers pal I appreciate the advice

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
This is quite an interesting topic. The reason I say this, I joined at 16 and it was the making of me. 21 years and it was the best decision I ever made.

I recently had a chat with my boss (Lt Cdr - Ex WO(AWW) and joined as a young lad), he doesn't agree with U18 joining the service. I am quite an advocate. I wasn't great at school and didn't get any qualifications, I have ADHD and was on medication and was in trouble with the law quite a bit. My options, in my eyes were quite limited. I then had some work experience at HMS OSPREY on 702 Squadron and this seemed like an ideal place for me to go.

I didn't really get on with my family and I wanted to run away from home, I went to the AFCO and applied to join as Junior Operator Mechanic (Underwater) was accepted and joined RAL a little after my 16 birthday. I was one of the youngest in my entry and liked to think of myself as a 'big fish' back at home. This attitude was beaten out of me pretty quickly, they fed me, clothed me and taught me a lot about myself and how to respect authority/each other/myself.

I never looked back since. I have made some amazing friends (that I still have today) and would highly recommend it to anyone (U18 or not).

Concentrate on your 'personal admin', fitness and how to work as a team. I know some AFCO do outreach events at local schools that involve leadership tasks and interview techniques. These will put you in good stead for your Phase 1.

Good luck with your journey.

Jp0901

Midshipman
This is quite an interesting topic. The reason I say this, I joined at 16 and it was the making of me. 21 years and it was the best decision I ever made.

I recently had a chat with my boss (Lt Cdr - Ex WO(AWW) and joined as a young lad), he doesn't agree with U18 joining the service. I am quite an advocate. I wasn't great at school and didn't get any qualifications, I have ADHD and was on medication and was in trouble with the law quite a bit. My options, in my eyes were quite limited. I then had some work experience at HMS OSPREY on 702 Squadron and this seemed like an ideal place for me to go.

I didn't really get on with my family and I wanted to run away from home, I went to the AFCO and applied to join as Junior Operator Mechanic (Underwater) was accepted and joined RAL a little after my 16 birthday. I was one of the youngest in my entry and liked to think of myself as a 'big fish' back at home. This attitude was beaten out of me pretty quickly, they fed me, clothed me and taught me a lot about myself and how to respect authority/each other/myself.

I never looked back since. I have made some amazing friends (that I still have today) and would highly recommend it to anyone (U18 or not).

Concentrate on your 'personal admin', fitness and how to work as a team. I know some AFCO do outreach events at local schools that involve leadership tasks and interview techniques. These will put you in good stead for your Phase 1.

Good luck with your journey.
Cheers mate glad to hear that it’s definitely worth joining. I’ve Been have a few doubts recently about joining because my brother joined the forces when he was 16 (the army) and he left when he was 26 and now his life is in shambles and is really struggling to a adapt to “the real world”. But after a lot of research I’ve Realised that the navy is completely different from the army and the role I’m going for (marine engineer) should get me a job when I leave such as oil rigs or other stuff to do with ships n that

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Cheers mate glad to hear that it’s definitely worth joining. I’ve Been have a few doubts recently about joining because my brother joined the forces when he was 16 (the army) and he left when he was 26 and now his life is in shambles and is really struggling to a adapt to “the real world”. But after a lot of research I’ve Realised that the navy is completely different from the army and the role I’m going for (marine engineer) should get me a job when I leave such as oil rigs or other stuff to do with ships n that
Any of the three engineering branches will stand you in good stead in civvy street. I was a Marine Engineer and my eldest son was an Air Engineer. Both of us have done all right since leaving (and I joined up at 16 as well).

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Any of the three engineering branches will stand you in good stead in civvy street. I was a Marine Engineer and my eldest son was an Air Engineer. Both of us have done all right since leaving (and I joined up at 16 as well).
You black catting bastard ;)

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
My Dad was Army, he really struggled to adapt when he left. The Navy is a completely different beast.

As has been said above, as much as it pains me to admit. Engineers have more transferable skills than us dabbers.

If you are switched on enough, go for everything you can and use the Navy to improve and make you the best you that you can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SheffGruff

Midshipman
I'm surprised the recruiting system can still move fast enough to get people in who are still 16 by the time they start.

That aside, there seems to be an awful lot of extra admin that goes into how 16/17 year olds are treated and for the sake of making those recruits have to wait up to at most 24 months I wondered if it's all worth it.

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
I'm surprised the recruiting system can still move fast enough to get people in who are still 16 by the time they start.

That aside, there seems to be an awful lot of extra admin that goes into how 16/17 year olds are treated and for the sake of making those recruits have to wait up to at most 24 months I wondered if it's all worth it.
You can apply at 15 and 9 months, branch dependant they could be in within 3 months.

A lot of the ‘admin’ is to do with duty of care, following on from the Deepcut scandal. Rightly or wrongly (I think it’s right) we should afford juniors more support. Age has nothing to do with others waiting more or less time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Having been through phase 1 with three 16 year olds it seems back in the day people matured faster compared to today, my dad Joined the (spit) RAF very shortly after turning 16 and he said that was the norm. Two of them ended up being booted after back classing etc and that was due to there silly stupid immatureness the other lad had a mature head on him so never struggled and put alot older people to shame in regards to his admin and kit and was the mess bosun. Just dont a little [email protected]@t Is what I think Im trying to say and you will be fine

I'd just turned 17 when I joined up, it was 1985 and the unemployment rate was sky high, left a town in N Wales with a big drug problem (town not me).

As @crash_evans said it was the making of me, I left school with next to no qualifications and the Navy trained and educated me.

23 years later I left and walked into a Job as an Avionic Design Engineer, now I'm a Tech Support Manager looking after one of our Europeans neighbours C-130 Fleet.

To be honest I never thought about what I would do when I left as I knew I'd be in for the long stretch, I was offered 2OE (10), if the government hadn't binned the Harriers I may have stayed but leaving at the end of my initial time was the best decision.

Latest Threads