Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

preparation for RFA engineering apprenticeship

Techie

Midshipman
Evening all,

I been trying to find out about the engineering apprenticeship through the RFA for about a week now and I keep coming up empty. By far on here is the most useful but i can't seem to find definitive answers so I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions I have?

1) I understand its 33 weeks training but could someone brake it down for me please eg: how long in gosport how long at sea etc.

2) The psychometric test is a real concern for me as I've suffered from depression since I was 12 and don't want to be fucked over by this. I havent self harmed ever and have always done whats asked from me by the Drs (trapped in a 9/5 doesn't help)

3) I work in IT now but I have no qualifications at all i'm fully self-taught and dont have GCSE's to talk about really. Will this be an issue?

4) what resources would you fine people recommend to learn about the RFA? ive watched all the videos on YouTube and i have read the wiki pages but surely there's more out there?

5) finally whats the rules on bringing a camera on board a ship? I'm a keen photographer and if I'm lucky enough to travel for work I would love take take dome photo's if at all possible.

Thanks in advance and try to be nice ha!

Skylarker

Midshipman
I cannot offer much information regarding training and such as I'm about to take my interview.

I can say however the psychometric test is purely there to work out you level of capability regarding maths, written English, mechanical comprehension and a few other exercises.

As for cameras, there is a chap on Twitter and Instagram who serves in the RFA and always takes his camera along, a good eye he has too with several of his pictures being used in the media.

As for resources, this website is the literal treasure trove for info, sometimes the search function doesn't do this justice and trailing through interesting threads can bring out the more relevant information.

I also found a book called "No sea too rough". (RFA during the Falklands) to be a rather interesting bit of knowledge about just how the RFA can be.

As for education, I never was amazing but it's not about being amazing, its about having the right mindset to want to do the job.
You would be joining as an apprentice which by definition is a position learning, developing and becoming something.

Best of luck to you with your application

Techie

Midshipman
I cannot offer much information regarding training and such as I'm about to take my interview.

I can say however the psychometric test is purely there to work out you level of capability regarding maths, written English, mechanical comprehension and a few other exercises.

As for cameras, there is a chap on Twitter and Instagram who serves in the RFA and always takes his camera along, a good eye he has too with several of his pictures being used in the media.

As for resources, this website is the literal treasure trove for info, sometimes the search function doesn't do this justice and trailing through interesting threads can bring out the more relevant information.

I also found a book called "No sea too rough". (RFA during the Falklands) to be a rather interesting bit of knowledge about just how the RFA can be.

As for education, I never was amazing but it's not about being amazing, its about having the right mindset to want to do the job.
You would be joining as an apprentice which by definition is a position learning, developing and becoming something.

Best of luck to you with your application
Cracking thanks for that. I will look up that book now. And good luck on you interview dude

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about the depression side of things, so longs as you can get your ENG1 (basic physical by a private Dr. that says your fit to work on a ship) which is needed for any work at sea for the length of time you'll be at sea for. I wouldn't worry about the interview to much, just have some knowledge of the RFA the ships ect. I went in expecting them to need me to remember all the ships ect. Instead it was more along the lines of, what makes you want to work for the RFA? What are the work conditions like? How do you think you would handle life at sea? why do you want to go into engineering? What's the RN's mission and how does the RFA fit into that? Ect.

Best of luck!

Kinighit

Midshipman
Hi Possessedtv,

1) This was the info I was given in February, I start in September 2020:

The training to become an APPRENTICE ENGINEER: - 33 Weeks (Approx. 7 months) at HMS SULTAN Inc MCA Training.

1st Sea Phase 16 Weeks (Approx. 4 months).

Leave (approx. 1 month)

16 Weeks (Approx. 4 months) At HMS SULTAN.

2nd Sea Phase 16 Weeks (Approx. 4 months).

Leave.(approx. 1 month)

Qualifications Gained: - Level 1 NVQ Diploma in Functional Skills (Maths, English and ICT).

Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Engineering.

Intermediate Level Apprenticeship in Improving Operational Performance (Performing Engineering Operations)

Guild Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Performing Engineering Operations (Engineering Practices)

MCA Qualifications.

The starting wage is just over £15K pa, when qualified as a Motorman 1 (MM1) the starting pay is just over £27k pa.

Once qualified you would be a Band C MM1 when you gain more experience and have completed more courses you will move up to Band B MM1, then Band A MM1, then Band A MM1 ‘ready for promotion’ . When you have completed the 1 years course at HMS Sultan you may get promoted to Band C Leading hand (L/H E) at this point you can work as a Leading hand systems engineer (L/H SE) this isn’t a guaranteed position, it depends on requirements. Then you go up the banding system again until you reach Petty Officer (P/O E, P/O SE). again the P/O SE isn’t a guaranteed role. The final rank is Chief Petty Officer (CPO E).

2) I haven't had a psychometric test, I had the Naval Service Recruiting Test, which assesses if you are capable for the role you want, not your mental wellbeing.

3) I was an Electrician by trade with City & Guilds however they mean squat here as they have no UCAS point value. So I'm starting at the bottom and becoming an apprentice marine engineer.

4) Read about the RFA via the Navy website for what they do and who's in charge and what your job role entails and leads to (I fumbled on the role after an apprentice, but worked it out and just about covered my arse in the interview).
Wikipedia helps to learn about the ships and their classes and what each one actually does, ships twitter feeds helps for deployments, also Vessel finder. (I live on Merseyside and at the time of my interview six ships were here, three in refit, 2 in warm storage and one in cold storage), so it was fairly easy.
Also ask on this forum, it might take a while for answers though.

5) I plan to take my camera and laptop as I also like photography. I'm also an instructor with the Sea Cadets here and I've been asked to keep them updated and what life is like in the RFA, obviously if I'm permitted.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Techie

Midshipman
Hi Possessedtv,

The training to become an APPRENTICE ENGINEER: - 33 Weeks (Approx. 7 months) at HMS SULTAN Inc MCA Training.

Leave (approx. 1 month)

Leave.(approx. 1 month)

Qualifications Gained: - Level 1 NVQ Diploma in Functional Skills (Maths, English and ICT).

Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Engineering.

Intermediate Level Apprenticeship in Improving Operational Performance (Performing Engineering Operations)

Guild Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Performing Engineering Operations (Engineering Practices)

MCA Qualifications.

The starting wage is just over £15K pa, when qualified as a Motorman 1 (MM1) the starting pay is just over £27k pa.

Once qualified you would be a Band C MM1 when you gain more experience and have completed more courses you will move up to Band B MM1, then Band A MM1, then Band A MM1 ‘ready for promotion’ . When you have completed the 1 years course at HMS Sultan you may get promoted to Band C Leading hand (L/H E) at this point you can work as a Leading hand systems engineer (L/H SE) this isn’t a guaranteed position, it depends on requirements. Then you go up the banding system again until you reach Petty Officer (P/O E, P/O SE). again the P/O SE isn’t a guaranteed role. The final rank is Chief Petty Officer (CPO E).

2) I haven't had a psychometric test, I had the Naval Service Recruiting Test, which assesses if you are capable for the role you want, not your mental wellbeing.

3) I was an Electrician by trade with City & Guilds however they mean squat here as they have no UCAS point value. So I'm starting at the bottom and becoming an apprentice marine engineer.

4) Read about the RFA via the Navy website for what they do and who's in charge and what your job role entails and leads to (I fumbled on the role after an apprentice, but worked it out and just about covered my arse in the interview).
Wikipedia helps to learn about the ships and their classes and what each one actually does, ships twitter feeds helps for deployments, also Vessel finder. (I live on Merseyside and at the time of my interview six ships were here, three in refit, 2 in warm storage and one in cold storage), so it was fairly easy.
Also ask on this forum, it might take a while for answers though.

5) I plan to take my camera and laptop as I also like photography. I'm also an instructor with the Sea Cadets here and I've been asked to keep them updated and what life is like in the RFA, obviously if I'm permitted.

I hope that helps.

Regards
Thank you so much for this!

I'm more than likely going to be starting sep 2021. I was hoping to join before im 30 but hey nothing I can do about that.

I've been doing as much research as I possibly can but what you have given me here is invaluable information right now.

Good luck for September.

Kinighit

Midshipman
Thank you so much for this!

I'm more than likely going to be starting sep 2021. I was hoping to join before im 30 but hey nothing I can do about that.

I've been doing as much research as I possibly can but what you have given me here is invaluable information right now.

Good luck for September.

I'm awaiting my contract in the next week and hopefully there will be a lot more info. I know prior to covid I was to stay on base in a four man dormitory, but I don't know if that has changed.
I've also been trying to work out how the initial 33 weeks is divided as I know we have breaks at Christmas and Easter. There are 14 weeks from when I start in September till the week of the 21st December.
As soon as I find out anything that can be relevant, I'll try and pass it on.

Techie

Midshipman
I'm awaiting my contract in the next week and hopefully there will be a lot more info. I know prior to covid I was to stay on base in a four man dormitory, but I don't know if that has changed.
I've also been trying to work out how the initial 33 weeks is divided as I know we have breaks at Christmas and Easter. There are 14 weeks from when I start in September till the week of the 21st December.
As soon as I find out anything that can be relevant, I'll try and pass it on.
Appreciate it bud.

And if I ever see you ill grab you a pint...

Hi Possessedtv,

Leave (approx. 1 month)

Leave.(approx. 1 month)

Hmm... I thought it was just the 33 weeks? Can anyone clear up if there is a second phase of 16 weeks at HMS Sultan? Also a break down of what is taught at phase 1 and 2 at Sultan would be helpful if anyone knows? Is functional skills at Sultan or has it moved to Raleigh?

Techie

Midshipman
Hmm... I thought it was just the 33 weeks? Can anyone clear up if there is a second phase of 16 weeks at HMS Sultan? Also a break down of what is taught at phase 1 and 2 at Sultan would be helpful if anyone knows? Is functional skills at Sultan or has it moved to Raleigh?
I didn't even think about that!

I was under the impression that it was just like college was many years ago where you did terms and then the sea phase....just goes to show how little I currently know

Kinighit

Midshipman
The information was given to me by a PO Engineer, who was my recruitment contact/interviewer. So I doubt the information has changed unless for covid.

Kinighit

Midshipman
So I have an induction week in Raleigh prior to Sultan, where I will get two sets of fours uniform, boots, waterproofs and a cap, then on to Sultan on the Sunday.

Techie

Midshipman
So I have an induction week in Raleigh prior to Sultan, where I will get two sets of fours uniform, boots, waterproofs and a cap, then on to Sultan on the Sunday.
This information is amazing I honestly can't thank you enough dude.

Like Techie said, unless the training's changed because of Covid (I've been talking to my handlers and they've advised that nothings changed). We'll be at HMS Raleigh for a week of processing, then HMS Sultan for 33. After that it's being on a ship for 4 months, leave, then ship for another 4 months.

Techie

Midshipman
Like Techie said, unless the training's changed because of Covid (I've been talking to my handlers and they've advised that nothings changed). We'll be at HMS Raleigh for a week of processing, then HMS Sultan for 33. After that it's being on a ship for 4 months, leave, then ship for another 4 months.
Almost a year away from the missus and I get paid for it...I should of joined years ago!!

Techie

Midshipman
Personal update:

I have my psychometric test on the 20th in Leeds, currently pouring over everything I can find on the navy/RFA. I'm going to be using this thread to detail as much as I can so future applicant's can use it.

Personal update:

I have my psychometric test on the 20th in Leeds, currently pouring over everything I can find on the navy/RFA. I'm going to be using this thread to detail as much as I can so future applicant's can use it.
this for the cadet ship or rating? I used jobtestprep to practice in case you're having issues finding materials. The training material from JTP was much harder than the actual rating test so I thought it was good.

Techie

Midshipman
this for the cadet ship or rating? I used jobtestprep to practice in case you're having issues finding materials. The training material from JTP was much harder than the actual rating test so I thought it was good.

Rating. I hope your right I'm going to be doing some more practice tests today after work

RFA at HMS Raleigh

Lantern Swinger
Eng App -

The Sept 2020 intake will be starting at HMS Raleigh for 1 week, for an induction package and uniform issue.

They will then be moving to HMS Sultan for the remainder fo their course.

This brings them in alignment with the other RFA Apprenticeships, so all 5 RFA apprenticeships will start at Raleigh.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Preparation advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
MoD_RSS Boost for hauliers’ Brexit preparation as multi-million pound campaign launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HM Revenue and Customs simplifies importing from the EU as part of 'no deal' preparation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More than £2 billion Brexit preparation funding awarded to departments for a successful EU exit MoD News 0
soleil BVI News: "UK Navy Vessel Docks In Miami In Preparation For Hurricane Season" RFA 0
MoD_RSS News story: Preparation for the new Service accommodation charging system MoD News 1
J PRNC preparation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MG Maniac Piss Poor Preparation etc ... Diamond Lil's 2
D Psychometric Recruit Test Preparation and Review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 139
MoD_RSS News story: DIO supports troops' preparation for Afghanistan MoD News 1
M Preparation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L AIB Preparation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J How much ironing preparation are you doing before joining raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
J Officer preparation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
D Ratings Preparation Course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Ratings Preparation Course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
hamisatypeofcheese Armed Forces Preparation Course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Murph Ratings Preparation Course - 25th Jan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Officer Preparation Course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
J A Bit of Preparation Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K PEDA - All about Diver fitness preparation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 67
sgtpepperband Preparation for Parenthood Diamond Lil's 4
J Ratings Preparation Course (RPC) [formerly RNAC] Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 330
sandygib How Much Preparation Did You Do? The Quarterdeck 27
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
C RFA Seamanship Apprenticeship - Application to AB. RFA 12
O RFA System Engineer (qualified) interview RFA 2
J Couple Of Questions About Life in RFA RFA 2
soleil RN: "Cardigan Bay Chef Nears 50 Years' Service In The RFA" RFA 2
J RFA Limitations With Colour Blindness RFA 7
S RFA Training Pipeline RFA 11
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 18
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
S RFA engineering interview RFA 4
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 33
soleil FB: Aggie Weston's - Pastoral Support To RFA HQ Following Grant From Trinity House RFA 2
I RFA RFA 3
A RFA RFA 6
A Rfa RFA 6
F Switching RNR application to RFA RFA 11
northern-matelot RFA Argus RFA 4
K What to expect from the RFA? RFA 8
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
P Internal only RFA job (helicopter controller/supply chain etc). Which branch? RFA 0
D RFA BRNC June 2020 intake Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Skylarker RFA Biographies? The Book Club 1
C-Roi RFA Comms Apprentice Interview RFA 9
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1