pregnancy

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by wompingwillow, Jul 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK this is a weird one, but after a night of teaching the brats, we tend to have some pretty random conversations.

Just wondering what would we/could we/should we do if a cadet 16+ came to us and said I'm pregnant and I'm keeping the baby. Do they carry on regardless in the cadets till it's born? Would they politely be asked to leave? Do they issue a cadets pregnancies uniform?

I've know plenty of Adult helpers to be pregnant and they abandon the uniform and tend to be put in the admin office.

Sorry I do really need to get out more; but in this day and age I'm sure it's only a matter of time before such a situation comes up.

WW

2. I think the cadet in question would have to re-evaluate her priorities.

This would probably mean leaving cadets. I have known of 1 case of this happening.

3. Sounds like an open and shut case to me, if they ask her to leave, and she doesnt sue em , I will.

4. but why should she leave, she's over 16 so perfectly legal, nothing to stop her become petty officer cadet Mrs Smith.

Having become an adult helper, after becoming a single mum I know how important it is to have something even if it's just once a month were you can be someone other than mum. So IMO I think the cadet should be encouraged to stay

5. I think having a baby would mean she would have to leave of her own accord.

6. I think if she had a baby would mean giving up the cadets to look after the baby ||

7. I can see all your points, but if like me ( and god I'm going to sound sad) it's my only night out a week. Much better to be doing somthing for the comunity than pishing your money up a wall.

I amit my attendance has not been brilliant due to my child, and I have felt pressure that I'm not for the corp enough because of this.

8. The correct answer is that you have to help her apply for her free council flat, countersign her benefits claims and ensure there are crèche facilities available at the unit. :lol:

Seriously though, it’s a tough call and I suspect it will come down to the character of the particular Cadet. If she is "not bothered" then no problem, you let her go. However if she really wants to make a go of it, then OK – fine, but you must draw the line and prevent her from bringing the sprog along to unit activities. I'm serious. It will set the wrong tone and be seen as condoning her "activities" and is likely to lead to complaints from other parents. Then there is the whole H & S minefield to consider.

I have been unfortunate enough to be office manager where pregnant Wrens returned from maternity leave and kept on bringing their sprog into the office in three different postings. Now it's nice once or twice (at the start) but eventually you begin to realise that everyone ends up sitting around and cooing at it and all the while it never stops squawking or leaking. Even more annoyingly when you subtly suggest that there is the matter of work to be getting on with - you get daggers and moods. Beautiful!! :roll:

9. However if she really wants to make a go of it, then OK – fine, but you must draw the line and prevent her from bringing the sprog along to unit activities. I'm serious. It will set the wrong tone and be seen as condoning her "activities"

So as a single mother should I not bring my child to unit activites ether as it might encorage the girls to go out and get pregnant or because I'm older doesn't it matter?!

10. Because you are not a cadet yourself it's somewhat different.

But a 16 year old cadet getting pregnant does not set a good example for other cadets, and the SCC allowing such a cadet to continue does not promote a particularly good image of the Corps.

11. I see your point, but this thread is going very much the way it did when we discussed it down the pub, I said at the end of the day like me, she has done nothing illegal ( she seems to have a life of her own I don't actually know of a cadet in this situation) and is perfectly entitled to carry on her daily life, and as I also said whats to stop her become MRS PO cadet.

It's just one of the many dilemmas we have discussed and found no really answer or training for, in the days of equal ops and being sued at the drop of a hat we said really more training should be given.

What if we have a cadet who's married or in a civil patnership?

For example we have no black or Asian children or helpers at our unit, should we be going out in to the community and finding more, and if necessary pay at black/Asian helper?

SHould if a muslin came and joined our unit change our friday met night to accommodate the fact that is their pray day? What should we do about prays in general, if we did have one?

Do we need to get out more and spend less of our time discussing cadets?

I know alot of these are pretty far fetched situations but like I said you never know

12. I see what you mean about a "Mrs PO Cadet" but I would imagine a cadet who was mature enough to get married would probably decide to move on from cadets. (I don't mean to imply that other PO cadets are immature - very far from it - but they have different priorities.)

As for prayers, my unit's chaplain generally does prayers on major events eg the RNI or prizegiving, and at UMC meetings too (in fact we have 2 chaplains and a local church has "adopted" the unit - it's where we go on Remembrance Day/Traf Day etc). The population of Asians in my local area is relatively low so I wouldn't know what impact they would have on a unit. I see no reason to go out of our way to recruit ethnic minorities though.

13. Interesting thread. On the point about Muslim cadets you need to be sensible about it. When I was studying Criminology at Birkbeck we had a number of Muslim students. If they needed to pray during class time this was generally frowned upon as it was felt to interfere with the lectures, and in the end the attendee has chosen to join an organisation and in so doing must accept the conditions of service that accompany that commitment. To bend over backward to accomodate diversity can, after all, be highly problematic. It is all about reasonable adjustments and not treating a Muslim cadet more or less favourably, directly or indirectly, than you would treat a non-Muslim. If you try to accomodate difference by appeasing the extremist perspective of any community, including Christian or secular, you face great difficulties. What would happen, for example, if a Muslim cadet's parents objected to the cadets being mixed? Would you seek to accomodate those wishes, which would, of course, discriminate against the other members of the unit.

14. on the subject of muslim cadets,

i live i blackburn which has a large muslim population. we had 1 female muslim cadet, and here parents were very protective. she wasnt aloowed to swim with other cadets, mix with males, or attend certain courses.

unfortunatley, someone forgot to tell the cadet that. we would try and assure her parents that she ate seperatly from the lads, and no swinning, but before staff could check, she had borrowed a swin suit, and was in the pool, lol.

the cadet in question wanted to do every thing she could, but her parents were the problem.

as for the pregnant cadet.

if the cadet cant carry on then she will have to leave.

if however the cadet wants to carry on, and can have someone watch her baby whilst she attends cadets, this could be a break form the baby for her.

i would recomend that the baby is NOT allowed to attend, as she will not be insured, and may distract mother and other cadets.

as staff, we are volunteers, and as such give up spare/free time to attnd cadets. i had to take my kids to cadets, as my wife was an alchoholic, and couldnt have unsupervised access to the sprogs. social services complianed that cadets ended to late for my sons. i told them where to go, and carried on.

granted, my sons sat in a room alone, and were checked on, as they were under cadet age, and at stand easy tyhe other cadets did look after them, but i never let my kids interfere with the cadets. i know of others whose children DO interfere.

we are here for the cadets, and we will support where we can, each case must be taken under its own circumstances.

15. I don't take my little one to parade nights, just to unit bar-b-cues etc, I've been on weekends were younger kids have been around and like you said it is a bit distracting but sometimes can't be helped, sometimes the people can be a little unsympathetic when it comes to having a child and no childcare, but unlike the working world it's not like I get any childcare cost paid

16. i agree willow,

but the parent should show some control over their youngsters if they have to attend cadets. there are those who just let their kids do as they please, even on ceremonial occasions.

many units now have younger staff, and children sometimes have to attend. some older children do get taken under the wing of the junior sections, and as long as the co is happy, and the instructor is happy, thats ok.

but i was reminded that my rugrats wernt insured, and i agreed.

if a cadet can have a baby, AND continue with cadets, providing that all parties concerned are happy, i dont see why it cant work.

17. Fortunately this is quite rare ......... the first thing to establish is has she told her parents she is pregnant, second there is no reason legally that she should leave, however guidance should be sort by Unit CO's from Area Office.

With Muslim Cadets they are the same as any other cadets at the end of the day the parents wishes should be respected, for Units unfamiliar with the needs of any religions specific needs the Corps Chaplaincy should be able to provide you with contact details ....... but what might be better is to invite the local faith leader / preacher to the Unit to mutually learn what is needed and what the SCC can offer

18. didnt the scc end up with like 7 pregnant cadets after the Raleigh 2000 summer camp?

19. Something like that, at Spectacular 2000. Even now nobody in the SCC wants to talk about that...

20. it was a good 10days, i was there as a L/C, lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.