pre royal navy training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by boxy, Dec 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok just to say that i do not mean the prmc.

when i was pestering my careers advisor for my royal navy entry date and looking up to see if there was anything to speed up the process i was told that their was a pre training course that i think lasted for 3 days, the name of the course has sliped my mind but i do know that the name collingwood was in there somwhere.

what i do know that it is NOT in the same place as phase 1 training.

if anyone can decypher my crap description of what it is called, i was wondering if it is worth the time to do, as my careers advisor had not even told me about it.

2. yea thats the one! thanks :)

3. If the RNAC speeds up entry, gives you some deeper insight into what the RN offers career wise, gives you a look at accommodation and the chance to try some Naval scran (And lets the RN have a closer look at you, incidentally.) of course it's worth doing.

4. In the "current climate" there is nothing that you can do to speed up the process. Attending the RNAC is a valuable way of gaining a little bit more knowledge about what you are going to expericence once you have joined. Everyone wants to get in a quickly as posssible, but due to the amount of people applying and the limited places available you just have to wait your turn. As you get to the top of the list you "might" be offered a short notice entry date if someone withdraws their application. There is no way of jumping the queue. Speak to your Careers Adviser and volunteer for attendancne at the Royal Navy Acquaint Centre (RNAC) or Ratings Preparation Course (RPC) or whatever they are calling it this week, they are the same thing.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just to add, that due to need to reshuffle of MoD funds & the imminent need to purchase 22 Chinooks for use after the UK forces "pull out" of Afghanistan, together with other smoke & mirrors nonsense...

For the period 1 Jan - 31 Mar 10, we have been directed to restrict places for candidates who have a date to join HMS RALEIGH prior to 31 May 2010.

Candidates who have not been allocated a joining up date prior to 31 May 2010 cannot attend an RNAC/RPC/Random Acronym Course during this period.

6. Who the F#$@ is in charge of acronym allocation at the MoD, are they some jobsworth who selects that weeks changes on the basis that it will keep them in a job? Shurely shome mishtake?

7. Ninja_Stoker

News just in: Those already allocated an RNAC in January may continue as if they are 'normal'.

Word on the street is that the high-powered/paid "Naval Acronym-Generator Meisters" are currently mulling over re-branding the Logistician Catering Service (Preparation) & maybe even changing the name to something more accurate & completely original. My money is on the title "Chef", but then again, from the people that changed Stores Accountant and gave us Logistician (Supply Chain), anything could happen.

8. I await the continuing decision making process on nomenclature protocol with glee and a healthy dash of glowing disbelief. My breath is forever bated for fear of choking on a festive mince pie. :lol:

9. Ninja

Will the Logistician (Catering Services)(Delivery) be called Steward again or is that re-inventing the wheel. I always preferred to call them Crumb brush myself

10. Ninja_Stoker

Rumours abound that 'Rupert Maintainer (Hoover Pilot) may indeed revert to their original branch title.

I'm just waiting for someone to think it would be a marvelous idea if we had Artificers again.

11. ....and Mechanicians!!!

(Pinkie: ex Mech37R. But fortunate enough to escape the infamy and ignominy of that inglorious name-change to 'Artificer' by moving across to the Dark Side in '74. :twisted: )

12. COOK might be an easily recognizable title? :roll: :lol:

2BM

13. Polto. Nomenclature and acronyms are two different things. I thought you would have known that. Or am i missing the point??

14. I doubt it Drakey, knowing Polto he's lost his dictionary now he's loafing in the dockyard

15. Yeah. But we do miss him. Don't we ???

16. I was unaware that the term logistician was in fact an acronym...clearly there is something 'extra' in the mince pies this year.

As for loafing in the dockyard wrecker, I have opted for the more salubrious 'loafing at home' option which has become my style of late - particularly on Wednesdays.

Seasons gleetings to one and all Drakey, Wrecker et al...

17. how much use is being a sea cadet during phase 1 training? i also have my date set for the 21st of march

18. It will enable you to do your kit a bit faster and better (Hopefully.), you'll be OK at drill (Hopefully.), you'll have a few seamanship skills (Hopefully.), you'll have some knowledge of Naval History, rank structure etc and have a bit of self discipline (Hopefully.)
    Apart from that others will be bringing their own set of skills and knowledge with them so whilst you'll have a head start it may well not be all that much of an advantage in the long run.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Certainly when I joined the mob, those who were former Sea Sprouts were generally "ahead of the pack" when it came to kit musters, bulling boots, & all things generically nautical. Those that have the maturity not to crow about their abilities or knowledge but take the time to help others, generally tend to go far in the service. The cadet organisations are an excellent way of making yourself employable - much more so than further educational "Uniformed Service Courses" in my opinion.

Back on track with regard Ratings Preparation Courses - it is clearly a strange decision to only permit those with entry dates on acquaint courses.

One would have thought that logically we should nurture those who have a long wait to join & try to keep them interested by attending an acquaint visit in the interim.